NES HF net?

Hi All, what's the net sked? Maybe 3.928 on Friday at 2000? QRZ NES?? Who will be NCS?

I'll give it a try Friday night.

" I'am on 40 m almost every night"

Wingnuut - where and when can I find you on 40?

Karl
W1ZHU

2000 tonight might be dinner time for me, but if not I'll see you on 3.928. I may be deaf though. My house has gotten seriously noisy on the lower bands, like S8+ noisy. I need to start throwing breakers and finding the sources.

I got in the shop around 8:30ish last night. I listened around the frequency but didn't hear anything. There was someone pretty loud about a kc down, kinda swamping my 25 year old receiver. Not you guys though.

I’d be up for something like this but would need to get my gear set up and double check my antenna. I haven’t been on HF since the summer, and even then only casually. It’d be nice to find a couple of frequencies on various bands to stand by on, monitor for other NES’ers out there to chat with on an informal unscheduled basis vs. a scheduled net.

Hi All, what's the net sked? Maybe 3.928 on Friday at 2000? QRZ NES?? Who will be NCS?
No idea what all this means.

I have tried this a few times and it never gets off the ground.
That is why I suggested people within reach just come in on Georges Old Timers Net and say their name and they came from NES, and that is it. They would get more "customers", and we would get a means of communication. If enough people do it, then maybe a case could be made to do a separate NES one, or some other idea. Again, why reinvent the wheel?

What frequency, PL tone and repeater location is the Georges Old Timers Net on? What days and what time? How large a foot print does this repeater have? How many NES hams are within range?

What frequency, PL tone and repeater location is the Georges Old Timers Net on?
That is on the link I gave. They can probably say it better than I could.

What days and what time?
7:30 every night

How large a foot print does this repeater have? How many NES hams are within range?
Not sure, and not sure. I guess it's pretty well known and has a good location.

As far as how many NES hams are within range, well, that is an unknown, but it is probably easier to do something like this to help find out that answer.

🤷‍♂️

I have tried this a few times and it never gets off the ground.
Yup, it turns into people not having antennas for the proposed band. Work/family conflicting with the time. I was guilty of both last time, and I still don't have anything for 80.

How big is the yard?
Maybe 75' wide and about 40' deep. Trouble is some wanker put a vertical up pretty much smack dab in the middle because that's where the coax was for the mini G5RV that it replaced.

It might be possible to run wires sort of along the property line on the side, but I have some new neighbors with three wild little boys and I don't know if they climb fences.

Maybe 75' wide and about 40' deep. Trouble is some wanker put a vertical up pretty much smack dab in the middle because that's where the coax was for the mini G5RV that it replaced.

It might be possible to run wires sort of along the property line on the side, but I have some new neighbors with three wild little boys and I don't know if they climb fences.
I thought about a dipole with a spot of wire exposed a little way up the wire so I could leave it long for CW and shorten it some small amount for SSB. 80m antennas as so narrowbanded.

I also started on the random wire idea but got thwarted by second winter.

I'll be honest, I'm f***ing sick of winter. Today I had to snow blow dense thigh deep snow at my super secret squirrel location. I was practically using the snow blower as a shovel.

You could try running a wire along the top of the fence. I know guys have run it in an L and are able to get 80m pretty well nvis style. Would be good for local comms.

You could try running a wire along the top of the fence. I know guys have run it in an L and are able to get 80m pretty well nvis style. Would be good for local comms.
I'd have to do something slightly different because the top of the fence is a squirrel superhighway and the neighbor puts rat (not mouse) traps on the posts. I almost lost an arm one day. And squirrels love to chew wires.

I could put it along the fence, not atop it. Or put some plastic electric fence posts in along side the fence since it's not mine to attach stuff to. That would only get me 4' off the ground though. On 80m NVIS I don't know if it would care if it was 4' or 6' though.

The nerd in me is tempted to make something to roll up the wire at the feed point to allow me to tune it for whatever frequency I'm on. Like a poor man's SteppIR. My buddy and I were tossing this idea around the other week, only for a vertical (and not 80). If it worked, you could just figure out the set points across the band and Bob's your uncle. The difference between 3.5MHz and 4Mhz is about 8' per leg. Good grief.

Another option I've thought of is to make a fan dipole. Cut one for the upper and one for the lower portion.

Hmm, this guy already did it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qwQzVdRRec

When I did my 73' wire test from my SxS and tent I had it pretty low because it was a nightmare working in shin deep snow. I was still able to get my buddy on the north shore on 80m via js8call

When I did my 73' wire test from my SxS and tent I had it pretty low because it was a nightmare working in shin deep snow. I was still able to get my buddy on the north shore on 80m via js8call
I cut a 71' "random" wire and 17' counterpoise and tried a few orientations without much success. I expected to need a tuner, but the dips were not in the ham bands. I'd like to try again but I'm going to wait for the snow to clear before I dick around with it any more.

I watched the guy's videos on the ladder line fan dipole and it kind of worked, but not really. He tried a couple different things and shelved it. So that's that.

* admittedly I only had a 25' tape measure so I measured out 18' and quadrupled it, then cut it a little shorter. No part of it was accurate. I probably should have left it longer because I think the SWR dips are too high.

I cut a 71' "random" wire and 17' counterpoise and tried a few orientations without much success. I expected to need a tuner, but the dips were not in the ham bands. I'd like to try again but I'm going to wait for the snow to clear before I dick around with it any more.

I watched the guy's videos on the ladder line fan dipole and it kind of worked, but not really. He tried a couple different things and shelved it. So that's that.
I built a Carolina Windom for 80 meters, and am a huge fan. Aside from nasty pileups, if I can hear the station, I can work him.

"Hi All, what's the net sked? Maybe 3.928 on Friday at 2000? QRZ NES?? Who will be NCS?" / "No idea what all this means."

A net is an on-the-air gathering of hams at a scheduled time, on a specified frequency. Some nets meet to practice handling emergency radiogram messages in case of a natural disaster when the phones, cell, and Internet go down. Some nets meet to read and discuss the bible. Some to create a sense of community, and even some to talk about topics like antique radios, computers over ham radio, or even food and cooking.

Hams can use chunks of the radio spectrum (called bands). We have one that sits close to the AM radio band (1.8 to 2.0 mhz - 160 meters - Mhz is frequency, while Meters is the wavelength of the signal.) Some chunks allow around-the-world communications while others allow local comms. We have chunks above and below the FM radio band (6 meters and 2 meters) and bands in the microwave section. 3.928 mhz refers to a frequency in the 80 meter band that runs from 3.5 mhz to 4.0 mhz.

2000 is the time in 24 hour notation. I'm guessing it's probably eastern time. 12 PM is 1200. 1 PM is 1300. 2 PM is 1400. All the way to 11:59 PM which would be 2359.

NCS refers to Net Control Station, which is the ringmaster of the net. The person conducting the net.

I built a Carolina Windom for 80 meters, and am a huge fan. Aside from nasty pileups, if I can hear the station, I can work him.
These are an interesting design. I wonder if I could loop it around the outside of the house. It's not square but the outside is almost 40 linear meters. Or loop a dipole for that matter. It'd be tight though.

At this point running a dipole on electric fence posts is probably the best I can do to get on 80.

These are an interesting design. I wonder if I could loop it around the outside of the house. It's not square but the outside is almost 40 linear meters. Or loop a dipole for that matter. It'd be tight though.

At this point running a dipole on electric fence posts is probably the best I can do to get on 80.
There is a design for a loop antenna, but it’s not great for Dx. It directs signal upward, which is good for local but lousy for Dx.

I was specifically wondering what a "net sked" is. Now, it seems, from context, I think you mean schedule. Never saw that before.

Also NCS. Thank you. I understand that, but never saw the acronym before now.

A net is an on-the-air gathering of hams at a scheduled time, on a specified frequency. Some nets meet to practice handling emergency radiogram messages in case of a natural disaster when the phones, cell, and Internet go down. Some nets meet to read and discuss the bible. Some to create a sense of community, and even some to talk about topics like antique radios, computers over ham radio, or even food and cooking.
Maybe someday, some nets could discuss NES topics. ;-)

Maybe someday, some nets could discuss NES topics. ;-)
Considering radio is not anonymous, people are not shy with what they'll talk about. I can't say I've heard much prepper type chatter but guns are a popular topic. Listening to 2m in PA on Thanksgiving weekend I heard a lot of gun/hunting/target shooting talk.

Back
Top Bottom