NES fishing Group: Quabbin trip, June 1st

Okay lets get this started.

Where: Quabbin Reservoir Gate 43

When: Sunday June 1st 6:00 am

Well there has been some interest in a Quabbin trip so lets give it a try. Quabbin is a great place with all kinds of fishing. Whether you want bass, pickerel, trout, salmon it is all there.

You can either bring your own boat (click here for boat and fishing rules) or rent one there. The boats cost $30 plus $4.00 for parking. Each boat can hold 3 people. I figure guys can team up and split the cost.

My house is not too far from Quabbin and can be used for parking if people wanted to carpool and save money on parking.

The gate opens at 6:00am so it is the best time to get there and grab a boat.

Seeing as this is the first attempt I want to keep this pretty informal so if you have a fishing buddy they are more then welcome. I most likely will be bringing along a friend.

I figure that we can all bring 2-way radios to stay in contact. I have two if somebody wants to use one.

Also if anyone is interested I figure after we are done we can all get lunch and beers. My house would be open for that as well I have tons of BBC and we can fire up the grill or we can go out.

Like I said this is pretty informal so anyone can show up but it would be nice to get a list going here so we can see how successful this will be.

Thanks guys.

How can you say no to this!?
dfwquabbin.jpg

Yes a license is a must out there. Every now and then the EPO shows up.
You can buy a one day fishing license at any of the Gates as far as I know. I believe they are only $5.00 too.

have to talk to the bf, but we may bring our "new to us" bass tracker out there- looks nice!

here is some info in case it helps:

directions (looks like fish and wildlife saved the gps coordinates)

gate 43 directions

General Information:
Quabbin Reservoir is the largest body of water in Massachusetts and is managed by the MDC as a water supply. The water is clear, with a transparency of 20 feet or more. Depths range too more than 100 feet. There are two designated fishing areas encompassing many square miles: one on the west branch of the reservoir, the other covering the middle and east branches. No access is permitted on the Prescott Peninsula (the finger of land separating the west and middle branches), all islands and certain other designated areas, but a large portion of the shoreline is open to anglers on foot. No alcoholic beverages are allowed. Boat access is provided at three gates only: 8, 31 and 43. There is currently a $4 parking fee and $2 launching fee at these gates; boats and motors are available for rental at a maximum of $31 per day. There is a 20 hp motor limit and no inboards are allowed. Canoes and prams may be launched only on Pottapaug Pond at Gate 31. Quabbin has a limited fishing season, generally opening on the third Saturday in April and closing on the third Saturday in October. Call the Belchertown office of the MDC for detailed rules and regulations. An excellent map of the area is distributed by New England Cartographics, P.O. Box 369, Amherst, MA 01004 and is often available in local bait shops.

Oh, big maybe here. What do people recommend for gear/bait? Are the fish safe to eat? (I didn't see any specific advisory on the website)

Gear and bait really depend on what you want to catch. I will be going after bass so spincast reels with a bunch of different plastics is what I will bring.

As far as eating I think it is okay.

This is the last advisory issued by .gov

Children younger than 12 years, pregnant women, and nursing women should not consume fish except for lake trout less than 24 inches long and salmon. All other people should not eat smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, or lake trout greater than 24 inches long; may eat unlimited amounts of salmon and lake trout less than 24 inches long; and should limit consumption of all other Quabbin and Wachusett Reservoir fish species to one five-ounce meal per week.

Yes they can be left there but one of the gate 43 attendants told us that there were some breakin's a while ago there. It's definetly park at your own risk.

Less then a week left, who is planning on coming out?

Just let me know if anyone needs to meet somewhere other then the gate otherwise thats where we will be.

I'll be there.
Fished Quabbin Sunday, the lot was just about full when we got there at 8:00AM, all rentals were taken. Wicked sunny, no chop, Salmon and laker bite was not happening. Fished the shallows for Smallies and ended up with these three. http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb273/c0m3d1an/Smallmouth Bass _Quabbin 5_25_08/
If your a Bass guy,,,,gear up because they are on the nests. I saw ruffly 50 nests and almost all had fish on them. I must have spooked at least a dozen just creeping up to them. Some of these fish were BIG!

*The Black flies and Skeeters were very hungry so bring some repellent.

I'll meet you guys at the upper lot before the gate.

Last edited:
OpDETDelta, Looks like it will be just us, look forward to meeting you and how about showing us some of them good bass spots.[wink]

I was thinking I’d go but I’m going to be leaving from gate 31 I think. It’s just up the road from me. I’ll bring a radio along though if you let me know what channel to listen on.

The weather is looking really good, 60 degs at 0600. There might be a little wind though.

As far as radios I just remembered I let a friend borrow mine and never got them back...

So I will try to pick up a pair before Sunday, lets start with channel 2 FRS/GMRS.

I’m not going to be there in the morning. As much as I hate to miss it I have some work to do in the morning. I might take a ride out in the afternoon and see if they have any boats left. Let me know if you guys go out again though.

have to talk to the bf, but we may bring our "new to us" bass tracker out there- looks nice!

What size motor does it have?

From this:

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/waterSupply/watershed/quabfish.htm#outboard

"DCR rental boats are limited to 10 horsepower (hp) maximum.

TWO-STROKE ENGINES - Private boats with two-stroke engines are limited to one-half the Boating Industries of America (BIA) or Outboard Boating Council (OBC) hp rating of the boat up to a maximum of 20 hp.

FOUR-STROKE ENGINES - Private boats with four-stroke engines are limited to one-half the Boating Industries of America (BIA) or Outboard Boating Council (OBC) hp rating of the boat up to a maximum of 25 hp.

Private boats may use two motors provided the total combined horsepower does not exceed the horsepower limits above.

Combined four-stroke and two-stroke engines may not exceed 20 hp total.

25 horsepower two-stroke motors are not allowed."

Don't ask me how I know this.....[angry]

Well just got back, didn't see any NESers but we still had a good time. The weather was pretty nice but the wind was a pain. We both hit some smallies and I had a pretty nice Large mouth at 3 lbs 11 oz. All small mouth were caught on plastic worms and the large mouth was on a coffee tube. Here is a few pics.

3 lbs 11 oz. Large mouth.
IMG_1210.jpg

We keep bringing back our lures with these guys attached, kind of a pain.
IMG_1209.jpg

And here is a couple shots from out on the water.
IMG_1211.jpg

IMG_1212.jpg

Back
Top Bottom