• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NES Air-gunners?

Jacks07

NES Member
So I’ve picked up my first high-end air rifle and I’m hooked. I found two dedicated air gun shops in the area, but not any local online groups. Even among firearms NES is just kind of a niche community.
I’d love to hear from some others, what your shooting and post up your rigs. I figure if there’s enough interest, I can reach out to one of the mods and see about adding a subforum like they did for knives.
My new precious, FX Impact M3 .30cal
IMG_0458.jpeg

Nothing that fancy … as I just use mine (PCP & single pump) for offhand shooting practice and ‘trigger time’.

I know 2 Mass ranges (Reading & Danvers) that have dedicated air rifles nights and/or lanes, used more often in the Winter time.

FX makes some good stuff. High end air guns are as expensive as powder rifles. Plus you need an HPA (4500 psi) air tank and a compressor to fill it. A good set up all in is like $5K. These folks don’t mess around.

I've been into air guns since I was a kid, always had a bunch of pump, break barrel and side lever stuff, from lower end to Olympic target stuff.
Have wanted to get into pcp but the $'s made me hesitant to jump in, not as much the expenditure but more from not seeing exactly what I wanted for features if I'm getting in that deep. Something along the lines of the FX M3 would do it if it were semi auto but so far I don't think anyone makes such a setup (not with that kind of accuracy anyway).
Then there's caliber selection, yikes... For longer range, bigger tends to be better but the big tradeoff is both cost of ammo and number of shots between charges, each caliber you go up roughly doubles the price and maybe halves the capacity. My preference leaned toward .35cal but .30cal does seems like a good compromise.
Meanwhile a friend started into it and has a compressor so that added some incentive as I could now fill a tank on the cheap...

Well earlier this year finally picked up a pcp rig on an opportunistic deal here in the classifieds, not exactly what I wanted but for the $'s would get me started at least. Gun is an FX streamline in .25cal, basically a budget model in a high end line. I primarily want it for precision bench shooting at 100 yards or more and found the stock setup, a plastic overmolded sporter style stock, to be less than ideal with a narrow rounded forearm and very angled in the bottom/rear.
I have machining capability and I've been threatening to make a chassis set up on something one of these days and for many reasons this seemed an obvious candidate. A couple rainy Saturdays with no other obligations and finally made it happen, ended up a folding stock with a pic rail mounting.

Been fun so far but had setbacks with seal leakage, less than acceptable sd and a couple other odd issues, so waited a while for an oring kit and aftermarket regulator and just now getting everything straightened out with tuning and such.

Attachments

• fx chassis.JPG
    fx chassis.JPG
    227.4 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I'm air-curious. I think they have a lot of potential but so far I haven't seen one keep up with a .22lr in competitive PRS use. I probably won't get one until the Panthera technology has been out for a while and people start winning matches with them.

I've been into airguns for a long time, my first serious air rifle was a Beeman .20 "Crow Magnum", and the first "gun" I bought upon moving to New Hampshire was an Air Force Talon, also in .20

Since then I've added a few other calibers, most recently picking up additional Air Force rifles from The Goose (.25 and .30 caliber).

.30 cal - can it shoot regular 175gr .30 bullets?
Powderburner .308 bullets are oversized for even the big bore PCP airguns like the .308 Texan from Air Force, (designed for cast lead slugs).

Airforce claims 260fpe for the first 8 shots out of the Texan LSS firing a 171gr soft lead slug, all shots being subsonic (mid 800s). Can also get acceptable accuracy with 45 gr Diabolo pellets (Common .30 pellets can be as small as .2984" at the head end, with the skirt flaring out to 0.308"), though accuracy drops significantly at the distance where the pellet goes transonic, and is nonexistent with the Texan's power wheel cranked all the way up.

So I’ve picked up my first high-end air rifle and I’m hooked. I found two dedicated air gun shops in the area, but not any local online groups. Even among firearms NES is just kind of a niche community.
I’d love to hear from some others, what your shooting and post up your rigs. I figure if there’s enough interest, I can reach out to one of the mods and see about adding a subforum like they did for knives.
View attachment 795229
its awesome, where do you shoot it?

@wcorey that is a beautiful chassis you made there! I almost landed a Dreamline Tact this morning, out bid at the last minute, very similar to the Streamline. You ever consider producing so chassis for sale? Bet for sure you’d have some takers.

@pizzerman So far just a few round in the yard. Working on a better air source, hopefully by weeks end. Then I’ll take it up to my club, Centralville Sportsman’s Club.

@Reeg It’s a .30 cal. I create an account over there the other day. Haven’t gotten to familiar with the site yet. Do the have sub forums by state?

@wcorey that is a beautiful chassis you made there! I almost landed a Dreamline Tact this morning, out bid at the last minute, very similar to the Streamline. You ever consider producing so chassis for sale? Bet for sure you’d have some takers.
Sounds like you've got the bug fo' sho', lol...
Not much chance I'd be making chassis for sale, I'm strictly manual machining and in any case really dislike production/manufacturing.
To make them affordable without getting into large quantity's likely wouldn't put me into minimum wage.

I did go so far as to make a sort of companion chassis for a Walther GSP rifle conversion, it easily outshoots the FX but times have changed and I doubt I could any longer get away with using it in the backyard... So the FX fills a specific niche...

Attachments

• walther gsp chassis.JPG
    walther gsp chassis.JPG
    342.9 KB · Views: 22
Sounds like you've got the bug fo' sho', lol...
Not much chance I'd be making chassis for sale, I'm strictly manual machining and in any case really dislike production/manufacturing.
To make them affordable without getting into large quantity's likely wouldn't put me into minimum wage.

I did go so far as to make a sort of companion chassis for a Walther GSP rifle conversion, it easily outshoots the FX but times have changed and I doubt I could any longer get away with using it in the backyard... So the FX fills a specific niche...
😳That’s a damn work of art my friend!

Do the have sub forums by state?

Not that I'm aware of, but many members ID their location under their avatar. There's a member who goes by CTairgunner who has created a farcebook group for new englanders, might want to check with him for more info.

Started posting on this thread back last May. https://www.northeastshooters.com/xen/threads/pellet-rifles.410312/page-5
Also am at airgun nation, with a thread,
Got the Yong heng from amazon smarketbuy, if you get a Yong Heng, you want to get a authentic yong heng, not a copy of said.
Good to see you getting into this, and trying to get a group together. Air Rifle is good, shoot every night at your own doorstep range.
Have been consistently training every eve, 5 to 7 days a week since May of 2022, for both 10 meter issf, and 50 yd, 100 yd bullseye.
There are many details to work out in your tuning, I can give some enlightening info, on some very particular details, that is ongoing now in this brave new world of air rifle.
In particular , "weird pellet/slug flight", and its causes. This info would be a huge time saver for you. Also,Lots of you tubes that show others doing this said footwork /tuning.
Picture of last nights better bulls. 20230912_193653 - Copy.jpg

I’ll second the yong heng compressor, a friend has had one for a couple years of fairly light use with no issues and then I picked one up earlier this year. Good bang for the buck and parts are available and inexpensive.

bottom line on yong heng, run it cool, bare blocks of ice, input output cool lines opposite corners, not any creasing/sharp bends in cooling tubes. look carefully at picture see the condensing/ 20230819_163602.jpg frost on the bottom of cylinder, even when after 10 to 15 minutes and at 3500 psi

Attachments

• 20230819_165242.jpg
    20230819_165242.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 11
@pizzerman So far just a few round in the yard. Working on a better air source, hopefully by weeks end. Then I’ll take it up to my club, Centralville Sportsman’s Club.
ya thats cool. i'm very interested in air pellet rifles, i have a Gamo break barrel and although its nothing expensive or amazing its very accurate and i like it. not seeing many clubs that have something set up to shoot it though.

Another one here that picked up some of the Gooses guns. And this is my recent setup for some night time critter dispatch.
Weihrach HW-100, .22 cal, ATN X-5. I did mount the scope to a quick detach so I can swap it between guns as it can save different profiles in its memory. Still new to the scope so I haven't tried that yet, but it's also my first NV scope and I wanted to plink in the yard with it. The gun itself is a tack driver.
IMG_5295.jpeg IMG_5296.jpeg

So I’m seeing that I have a lot to learn about compressors. I think to start I’m going to shortcut it, buy a large tank and have it refilled for now. Northeast is free refills if you buy their tank. Tank is really pricey but I know I can’t go wrong with it while a learn and once I do get my own compressor the tank will still see plenty of use.

View attachment 795229
Got the same rifle, 25 caliber though. It’s a beast of a rifle. I’ve shot it out to 100 yards so far but am constantly changing stuff on it. Got the carbon fiber barrel sleeve, slug barrel and kit, barrel tensioning sleeve, arca rail, digital tank guage, angled rear block and guage, I probably forgot some things. It’s like a Lego rifle of sorts. Hope you got deep pockets, the one upgrade I found to be an absolute necessity was a good optic. My original choice was very limiting. Also there is a company that makes superb all metal mags for these. I’ll have to get you the name.

I brought my hatsan 125 sniper to the range. I set up a target at 75 yds. Everybody laughed until I brought the target Bach to the line ! My 25 cal break barrel is no joke.

Do you need a tank if you own a compressor ? Can you charge the rifle directly ? I’m thinking about going to pcp but know nothing about them

Do you need a tank if you own a compressor ? Can you charge the rifle directly ? I’m thinking about going to pcp but know nothing about them
yes, compressor directly to rifle does work. How ever , you still need to set up your ice cooling set up for the compressor, so you may as well fill the tank for the 15 minutes it takes to fill the big tank, and it so easy to fill your rifle from a bigger tank, that it seems more of a chore to do the compressor to rifle. Not all but Most shooting sessions , I refill the rifle from the big tank and go for more shots.
This smarketbuy seller, sells the original Yong Heng, there are threads if you want tot read more on this topic, airgun nation, do your home work. And get a fiber filter and a carbon/desicant filter, also amazon. The first small fiber filter is replaceable, like every other time, for a nickel, takes care of the oil in the air. I got the 3 yr warrany, from what info is out there on this, if you have a problem, they send you a new one, easy. Also, many youtube reviews on this unit, some say using it weekly for 3 years plus and still going strong. Other higher quality units are in the $thousands$$., compare your min/max, bang for the buck.
Amazon product ASIN B0829HBRPDView: https://www.amazon.com/Smarketbuy-Electric-Compressor-Pressure-compressor/dp/B0829HBRPD?th=1

Last edited:
I bought this compressor last year. It works, with no issues. No cooling lines needed. I don't think I'd use it to fill scuba tanks, though.
20230914_080824.jpg

Back
Top Bottom