Neighbors and Guns

Today I got home from work and put on a pair of shorts and tshirt and was playing with my son in the yard. My neighbor walked by and stopped for our usual chat about work, family, sports etc. My neighbor then notices my tshirt has a ruger logo on it and says "Do you have guns in your house?". I replied, "yes, a few of em". He seemed concerned for a moment and said "oh, I didn't know that, don't you think that's dangerous with kids in the house. Those things can go off at anytime"... I had to pause for a moment. I thought for a solid 30 sec about my response.

I asked him "does your TV turn on all by itself? does your car start on its own? do steaks grill themselves?"

He laughed.

I followed explaining the basics of a hand gun, shotgun and rifle- firing pins, safeties, slides, chambers. He seemed very interested. I went over basic safety and talked about Eddie Eagle and other youth safety programs (cause we both have young kids) and he was all about it. I'm taking him to the range with me this weekend for his first time shooting. I may have converted another.

Sometimes just a short conversation can make all the difference. Most MA Residents have no clue when it comes to guns and gun laws.

Sometimes ignorance is innocent. I suppose innocent ignorance can still be detrimental, but at least it's easily fixed by exposure to knowledge.

This is truly what it is all about if we are even going to have a chance of saving this great sport and Freedom.
God Bless and good luck

Today I got home from work and put on a pair of shorts and tshirt and was playing with my son in the yard. My neighbor walked by and stopped for our usual chat about work, family, sports etc. My neighbor then notices my tshirt has a ruger logo on it and says "Do you have guns in your house?". I replied, "yes, a few of em". He seemed concerned for a moment and said "oh, I didn't know that, don't you think that's dangerous with kids in the house. Those things can go off at anytime"... I had to pause for a moment. I thought for a solid 30 sec about my response.

I asked him "does your TV turn on all by itself? does your car start on its own? do steaks grill themselves?"

He laughed.

I followed explaining the basics of a hand gun, shotgun and rifle- firing pins, safeties, slides, chambers. He seemed very interested. I went over basic safety and talked about Eddie Eagle and other youth safety programs (cause we both have young kids) and he was all about it. I'm taking him to the range with me this weekend for his first time shooting. I may have converted another.

Sometimes just a short conversation can make all the difference. Most MA Residents have no clue when it comes to guns and gun laws.

Great job and quick thinking.

Thank you! To many of us have lost our patience with anti gun folks... And just fly off the handle when a comment like that is made! Thank you for keeping a level head and maybe turning someone around!

Nice to hear this kind of story rather than a "rant" about some anti that someone bumped into and offended today. Reminds us that sometimes a little patience and explaining can not only solve a situation but maybe turn it positive. Kudo's .

Should have told him to f*** and mind his own damn business!!! [/sarcasm]

Seriously though, props to you for being patient and understanding. There are far too many people on this forum that would have likely converted this guy into a lifelong anti by displaying a piss poor attitude in response to his comment to you.

Last edited:
It truly amazes me that people actually think that way.

Not me. We all have our misconceptions and our ignorance. And it extends to every facet of our lives. No one knows everything. The frustrating part is that the media and the anti's perpetrate misinformation about firearms for their own misguided agenda. I suspect if most people spent 3-4 days with a competent expert learning to shoot and learning about firearms, we would not be fighting over our right to have them. Hell Assacusetts might even stop being as stupid as it is. If every American served in the military (or in the state militia), we would not be having these conversations (Switzerland/Israel). If every boy and girl was taught to shoot by their dad/mom, this would be a non-issue. Suburbanization is our problem. The suburb dwellers are our friends. We just need to let them know we our theirs.

Good on you!
Kindness and understanding can go a long way.
With any luck this weekend he will learn that he is the one in control & not some object.

Times like what you just had are the only way will ever convert the other side over.

smitty

Good for you. With all the news reports of guns "going off" it's not surprising that someone unfamiliar with a firearm could believe that it could go off on it's own. Even if he doesn't go on to get licensed and buy one of his own, his new found knowledge will certainly color how he looks at the gun control BS.

Personally I would have had a conversation with her about how she is putting her own children in jeopardy by not doing everything she could to protect them. I don't always carry concealed when i'm out and about alone but if my 2 year old son is with me I always do. While I have a god given right to defend myself I have an obligation as a father to defend him in any way possible. I'd prefer to even the odds by bringing the proper tools with me.

Back
Top Bottom