• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need some opinions on shotgun

If you can shoot or at least shoulder as many shotguns as you can to find a gun that fits you. That would be key. If you're sure you want an o/u a used lanber or cz would be a good shotgun if you don't want to up your budget and go with a browning or beretta (or similar). If you're thinking about trap and skeet I'd recommend at least 28" barrels. Adjustable chokes would be very helpful for a multi-sport shotgun. Also don't rule out a 12 gauge. 12 is a little better for trap and if you reload or plan to you can load shells down for less recoil for skeet (if recoil is your reason for wanting a 20). I would caution against stoeger or mossberg o/u's. I don't recall seeing either hold up to serious clay shooting. I've seen several break or have problems where they had to be sent back to the factory. As others have said, a used remingtion 1100 would also be a good shotgun for what you're planning to use it for if you go the semi auto route. Good luck.

Don't buy it based on interwebz postings (even mine).

Go to your Club. Go to the clays range. Tell Trapezoids/Skeeters you're interested.

Most likely, you will be offered several to try.

Find one that feels right. Then, go from there.

Used autos/pumps will be more in your price range. The 1100 is an excellent, customizable at short money gun.

NO FIT, NO HIT.

A cheap gun that fits will serve you better than an $$$$ one that doesn't.

There is definitely an individual factor to what gun shoots the best. If it fits and shoots straight then it will serve you well.

Also the wrong fit or too light a 12 ga can definitely hurt your scores.

A poorly fitting 20g will beat you up also. I have a 311 that no one likes to shoot. The pitch is horrible on it and even with some light 7/8oz loads it will beat your cheak up....

2 shoulder surgeries on the one the stock rests against in the past 2 years, reason I prefer 20ga. I'm lucky do get 100 rounds a month, btw. Nothing wrong with my current shotgun, i actually enjoy it. I've adjusted my lop to fit.

The best thing you can do to reduce recoil is to add weight and reduce shell charge both shot and powder. I shoot 7/8oz powder puff 20g reloads through my 12g trap gun and it's so soft it's silly.
I also have a really light load I used for a while when shot was 50$ or more a bag. It was softer than the Win Lite loads....

Don't buy it based on interwebz postings (even mine).

Go to your Club. Go to the clays range. Tell Trapezoids/Skeeters you're interested.

Most likely, you will be offered several to try.

Find one that feels right. Then, go from there.

Used autos/pumps will be more in your price range. The 1100 is an excellent, customizable at short money gun.

NO FIT, NO HIT.

A cheap gun that fits will serve you better than an $$$$ one that doesn't.

This...... if you had seen my 870 express by the time I was done modifying it for 3 years while I saved for a "Trap" gun you would say WTF....although everything I did was for a reason and moved me towards understanding what specific features helped in trap.
First thing I learned about was pitch. Or the angle of the recoil pad in relation to the barrel.
When the pitch is correct the muzzle doesn't flip up.
Then you learn real quick about toe in/out, especially when your a lefty shooting a rightly set up.

I had at one point used balsa wood to make a raised rib on my 870....then when I found the height that worked for me I found some mini aluminum I beams at the hobby shop.
I later bought a cheap stock and installed a 35$ adjustable comb kit. It was fun.

I love.......love my Spartan 20 gauge O/U. It's a wholy owned subsidiary of Remington and make in Baikul Russia. I bought mine to hunt upland birds here in New England because our shots tend to be a lot closer than down south where a 12 gauge works fine. I wanted something solid but not expensive because I don't shoot it very much at all. My local FFL worked a deal for me. I would highly recommend that you might want to check them out as their workmanship is really excellent.

http://www.remington.com/products/archived/shotguns/over-and-under/spr310-over-and-under.aspx

$600 for a bottom-of-the-barrel O/U or $300 for a quality pump... I went with the latter.

Yes,the hardest kicking shotgun I've had was a 20 gauge Stevens pump. A 12 gauge that fits you well won't hurt you unless you're shooting 100's or 1000's of rounds per week and then your shoulder would be bruised with a 20 too. Although your shoulder tends to get used to it over time.
If you're worried about recoil a semi-auto would be your best choice. They also have stocks that reduce recoil like the precision fit stock but they cost a lot.

A poorly fitting 20g will beat you up also. I have a 311 that no one likes to shoot. The pitch is horrible on it and even with some light 7/8oz loads it will beat your cheak up....

The lowest recoil shotguns will the the gas operated semis like Browning's Maxus, Winchester's SXP, or the Mossberg 930.

The gas system uses some of the recoil to cycle as opposed to an o/u which relies on weight to reduce recoil.

Inertial semis like Beretta & Benelli would be second for recoil but it's not quite the same.

You can also use one of a number of various buttpads, or a jacket or vest with a padded shoulder. You may need to shorten the LOP however.

Back
Top Bottom