Need some info on a ppk

My father in law ask me to find out some info on a PPK he has. Walthers are not my thing so I dont really know anything about it. What I do know is what ever info he could give me over the phone. It is a blue model ppk , serial number 74027a , he says its in "good" shape , and he would like to know the year it was made and the rough value of the firearm .

I looked at it last night , I was looking for the numbers on the ejection port of the barrel but did not see anything.
Have him look visible part of the barrel (ejection port) and he'll see two numbers designating the year it was made.

I looked at it last night , I was looking for the numbers on the ejection port of the barrel but did not see anything.

OK, that's odd. I have a PPK/s, made by Walther and imported by Interarms. It's marked "71" there and was made in 1971.

Maybe some older or newer ones didn't mark them that way? My info was anecdotal based on sample of 1, although I've seen a few others marked similarly.

You could give S&W a call to see if they have DOBs for the Walthers that Interarms imported (before S&W got that contract).

OK, that's odd. I have a PPK/s, made by Walther and imported by Interarms. It's marked "71" there and was made in 1971.

(before S&W got that contract).

IIRC, the 2 interarms I had were only marked with the caliber on the portion of the barrel visible through the ejection port. These were late 80s/ 90s guns and Interarms was not putting out the best of stuff. Maybe they no longer wanted to advertise the date during this period?

IIRC, the 2 interarms I had were only marked with the caliber on the portion of the barrel visible through the ejection port. These were late 80s/ 90s guns and Interarms was not putting out the best of stuff. Maybe they no longer wanted to advertise the date during this period?

I've never heard that Interarms put out anything other than a quality well-built product. I know they went under in the late 90's but I didn't know their quality was suffering before that. My stainless PPK/S (no date on barrel) has beautiful machining and fit. Now I'm curious.

I've never heard that Interarms put out anything other than a quality well-built product. I know they went under in the late 90's but I didn't know their quality was suffering before that. My stainless PPK/S (no date on barrel) has beautiful machining and fit. Now I'm curious.

It has always been my experience that interarms ppks were notorious for being jam-o-matics (at least in the 90s). If you have a good one then you are lucky. The two I had, one was a pita, lots of issues, FTF/ FTE (regardless of ammo). The second had less issues than the first but still far too many to call it a reliable gun or one that I would take as a serious carry piece.

I am lucky then. Though I'm not sure exactly what year mine was made, and I've had to replace a few small parts to get it running perfect. I only carry mine in Summer, but I absolutely trust it to work.

Back
Top Bottom