• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

need help with getting cosmoline of Mosin Nagant stock

I was hoping somebody could point me in the right direction. I used the hot water bath method to get all the cosmoline off my Mosin and it all worked except I am seeing splotches on the stock and can't seem to get them off... It's almost like a wax material that I can almost scratch off but it's taking forever.

Any suggestions?

I just used some degreaser and seamed to do the trick.. Not sure what it was truly... Looks pretty good to me funny enough after I got it all cleaned up there seams to be a name on the end of the stock and some scratches like the owner was keeping track of something.

Steam does it. Make sure you move the stock slowly through the steam .Never let it stay in a spot too long. Wipe often with clean paper towels.

simple quick dish soapy warm water should get the stock clean....i think you might have finish that is failing ?

Shoot about 40 rounds through it as quick as you can. At about 39 rounds the cosmo will start to bubble out, just take a rag and wipe it clean. Let it cool down and check it again.

Go to Bennies and get a heat gun.. Heat it up and the cosmoline will bubble to the surface and wipe it with a paper towel. Also use some simple green for the metal parts. Works great! Good luck.

pretty easy actually.

you have a construction light and a large metal trash can. Could also get a heat lamp and a trashcan

This, I built a Cosmo oven using a metal garbage can, cheap porcelain light bulb base and a busted cord. Just drop a disposable tin tray in the bottom and throw it out when your done. You might want to do it outside or in a garage though because it can get smelly when its liquefied.

Back
Top Bottom