Need help, which 1911 to you recommend

I am in the market for a 4 inch 1911. I had a Kimber tactical II pro, but sold it, and wish I hadn't. So now I want a new one. I like the Kimber pro Raptor, but am also looking at the SW 1911PD. The only thing that I don;t like about the SW is that it does not have a ambi safety, but that can be changed. What do you guys think. Any ones that you can think of that would fit the bill, please don't hesitate to mention them.

SiameseRat said:
I'd reccomend a S&W 686P.

Oh- yeah that's a revolver. I don't like 1911s [devil][wink]

No hijack here, but if you just gotta have a .45 wheelgun, the S&W 625 gets my solid vote!

Now, back on topic. Count mine as another vote for S&W 1911. If I can't have another STI Trojan, the folks from Springfield have a superb, accurate, reliable product!

1911sc1.jpg

Moderator said:
SW1911's are great guns for the money. The life time warranty is a nice touch as well.

what about putting on an ambi safety. would it require me to send it into S&W, or could I do it myself? Just wondering. I wasn't even aware of the liifetime warranty, the S&W 1911 is looking better and better.

It's a standard 1911 safety. Pretty straight forward to remove/replace. The only thing you will have to be aware of, is that the right side grip panel has to have the cut-out to accommodate the safety.

Adam

C-pher said:
I do too, but I don't own any single stack Para's. They have a life time warrenty as well.

And from what I have done with my double stacks, changing out a safety is pretty simple.

Yeah, it is pretty simple. I was more wondering if anybody that owned one of the S&W 1911's would know if that would void the lifetime warranty.

Or,
You could always take it out and put the regular one back on if you have to ship it back for repair.

Adam

You can always call S&W and ask them about the ambi safety issue. They are pretty good on the phone once you get to a customer service person.

By Telephone:
1-800-331-0852 (USA)
Mon-Fri 8:00AM-8:00PM Eastern Time

1-413-747-3286 (International)
Mon-Fri 8:00AM-5:00PM Eastern Time

The Performance Center 1911 has an ambi safety right from the factory, so you could even use S&W parts, if you want, and that also means they have grips cut to accommodate it. You could even have S&W do the install for you. [grin]

03roushs1 said:
what about putting on an ambi safety. would it require me to send it into S&W, or could I do it myself? Just wondering. I wasn't even aware of the liifetime warranty, the S&W 1911 is looking better and better.

Why do either? Some models from S&W feature the ambi installed. [wink]

Pilgrim said:
I read somewhere a few days ago that if you put the ambi on, it invalidates the guarrentte, but they will put one on for you and it's all good.

I don't believe this for a minute!

I sent my S&W 1911 back for some work. I spoke with the Tech who works on them before shipping it and told him I had replaced some parts and asked if he wanted me to change back to factory config, his answer was NO, they won't remove anything. Here's what it had for non-standard parts:

- Trigger was replaced with an expensive Castillo trigger,
- Buffer Spring was replaced with a lighter one. They "replaced" it with a factory one and shipped me back my lighter spring with the gun . . . so now I have 2 standard buffer springs! [grin]
- Mag Well extension,
- Lighter spring on mag release.

NONE of this invalidated my warranty. None of this was any impediment to S&W. They fixed/replaced what needed to be and left the gun alone otherwise.

Excellent customer service and No BS!

Highly recommend the S&W 1911.

If S&W were to void your warranty about replacing a safety they would have lost so many customers over the years. If you were worried about that it takes all of about 30 seconds to remove the ambi safety and put the stock one back on. However, these guns are made to be used and you will prob. never need to send it in for service.

Pete

SW1911 gets my vote too. However, I think you have to remember that so many of us on this site are in MA, where the best off the shelf appears to be the SW1911 but our choices are so slim. I think that if you asked the same question on a different site that STI, Springfield, and Kimber would be mix in among the responses. Since 03roushs1 is in NY, I would take advantage of your ability to buy what you want and try a bunch. On the same note, you might want to stay away from asking what we think of the Yankees [puke].

[wink]

GTOShootr said:
SW1911 gets my vote too. However, I think you have to remember that so many of us on this site are in MA, where the best off the shelf appears to be the SW1911 but our choices are so slim. I think that if you asked the same question on a different site that STI, Springfield, and Kimber would be mix in among the responses. Since 03roushs1 is in NY, I would take advantage of your ability to buy what you want and try a bunch. On the same note, you might want to stay away from asking what we think of the Yankees [puke].

[wink]

GTO makes a very good point. I love my S&W 1911, but my STI 1911 has my heart. It is an amazing gun at an amazingly attractive price.

Back
Top Bottom