• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need help picking safe....3 days to decide!

TheGreekFreak

NES Member
Want to pick up a gun safe this week, its long overdue. Will have to be by Thursday (only day I can organize truck/lifting buddies) and it will only need to go up/down 3-4 stairs max. We should be fine for something in the 500lb range (don't want anything heavier than that anyway) with a good dolly/straps.

Problem: I am very indecisive and a bit obsessive when it comes to getting the right product at a good price. Like many of my things, I want to buy this once and have it last. The criteria are mechanical lock, no more than 64" high, no more than 30" wide, no more than 25" deep, no more than $1000. I don't have a large long gun collection (nor plan to) so something that comfortably fits 5-6 long guns on one side with shelving on the other would be perfect.

I know this is borderline entry level crap price but I just need something to deter the typical 5-10 minute snatch-and-grab burglar and have a nice organized layout on the inside for my stuff. Have no delusions that anything other than a commercial safe will keep out a dedicated thief with proper tools but am confident enough in my other home security measures to settle on these 14-12 gauge steel "safes" (more like fancy cabinets lol).

Called the closest liberty dealer and the centurion 24 with flex interior seems like a decent entry level option (I believe $725, maybe a little less). Next up the ladder from liberty would be the revere 23 which would hit my max budget (on sale for $999). Am open to hear about any brand, used options out there, etc but liberty seemed attractive as they have a few models on sale now and offer 18 months interest free. Can pay cash up to $1K but won't turn down interest free money if given the option :D

Your help narrowing down the best options would be greatly appreciated! Can drive within an hour or so of Boston to pick up with my buddies. Thanks.

Summary:
-Need "gun safe" with shelves + organized interior
-Must fit 5-6 long guns comfortably, no more needed
-MAX dimensions: 64"H x 30"W x 25"D
-Lock: mechanical only
-Budget: $1000 MAX, less is better
-Deadline: this Thursday

I have a stack on 24 that is fireproof and water proof, with the shelves in it becomes a 12 gun cabinet. Also for installation/transport the door comes off the hinges so it’s lighter to move. It also have power inside so I can run a dehumidifier. The reason I went with the stack on was the additional storage on the door.

Last edited:
I got a field and stream 32+6 gun safe from dicks a few years ago. I think it was on sale for $600? Weighs about 500 pounds.

Good amount of room, has shelving and pockets/sleeves on the door to hang pistols and accessories.

I realize this doesn’t compare to a safe that weighs 1000+ pounds but it’ll do for now and with my space/budget.

Here are my thoughts.

1st, if you found a safe that fits what you want, stop messing up your thoughts and go with that.
2nd, if you have cash don’t finance it.
3rd, the Revere 23 is a better safe if you want to spend the extra cash.
4th all safes sold in Mass are tax exempt, some places try to tax you on them. If they do call them out. Safe dealers know this already, the rest should too.

Oh and safes will slide nicely on their sides across carpet, saving your back, they also slide across wood floors if you lay some carpet under them with the carpet side on the floor. This also works going down stairs with one or two guys below it.
I can move a 500lb safe myself this way. You aren’t lifting all 500 lbs standing it up or laying it down.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, will continue checking on the thread until Thursday. The more insight, the better. Unfortunately I won't consider anything with an electronic lock and my size limits are not flexible so it further limits my options :(

Here are my thoughts.

1st, if you found a safe that fits what you want, stop messing up your thoughts and go with that.
2nd, if you have cash don’t finance it.
3rd, the Revere 23 is a better safe if you want to spend the extra cash.
4th all safes sold in Mass are tax exempt, some places try to tax you on them. If they do call them out. Safe dealers know this already, the rest should too.

Oh and safes will slide nicely on their sides across carpet, saving your back, they also slide across wood floors if you lay some carpet under them with the carpet side on the floor. This also works going down stairs with one or two guys below it.
I can move a 500lb safe myself this way. You aren’t lifting all 500 lbs standing it up or laying it down.

Thanks for the info. Ya I was aware of the tax exemption. The liberty dealer I talked to was in nh so it wouldn't have been a problem either way.

The problem is deciding if something like the revere is worth the extra $300-500 versus a real bottom tier cheapo safe of the same size. That money would basically buy me 12 gauge instead of 14, a nicer handle, slightly better pry resistance, some bare bottom UL certification, and maybe 150-200lbs extra weight.

Also, genuinely curious why you wouldn't take a 0% interest for 18 months finance offer? Its a free loan, allowing me to keep that money gaining a return those 18 months, right? I only buy things I can afford in cash right now so its not like it would get me in trouble lol seems like a no brainer if I go that route.

I love the Dakota interlock. Comes apart in peaces if you ever decide to move it. Has a mechanical lock and I got mine for 1k out the door. Very close to your dimensions off by one inch in depth.

interloc_inset2__74907.1483469518.1280.1280.jpg

Oh and Eastern Security Safe will give you the option for them to hold your combination in case anything happens. You can decline and be the only one with the combo if you wish. They bailed me out when the drawer with all my notes was cleaned out and I didn't have the combo. They saved my bacon, it's your decision

Oh and Eastern Security Safe will give you the option for them to hold your combination in case anything happens. You can decline and be the only one with the combo if you wish. They bailed me out when the drawer with all my notes was cleaned out and I didn't have the combo. They saved my bacon, it's your decision

That's another layer of security in one sense, but potential liability in another. Too many companies have had their records compromised - I prefer to have no other human possessing my combo. Writing it in pencil on the underside of a loose attic floorboard does the trick. For $5 you can stamp it on a dog tag and throw it inside your chimney cleanout door.

Also, genuinely curious why you wouldn't take a 0% interest for 18 months finance offer? Its a free loan, allowing me to keep that money gaining a return those 18 months, right? I only buy things I can afford in cash right now so its not like it would get me in trouble lol seems like a no brainer if I go that route.

There are a host of reasons to not finance anything. The biggest one is risk. If something happens in the near future like a job loss you may end up paying the interest that was free earlier. The minimum payments will not get you to 0 in 18 months so if you don't pay it off on the last month you get to pay interest. And my favorite are the 0% interest loans that if they aren't paid off in 18 months make you pay all the interest you didn't pay for the previous 18 months.
Finally since you have the money why would you want to make payments? That 18 months of "return" don't add up to shit. Even if you made 10% per year on it $1000 only adds up to $15. The average Credit card interest is 18%.

Hi there. First of all - you wanna safe or cabinet? If you have many rifles or other stuff like sniper bag, powder measure, reloading press, etc, you probably need to go for a cabinet. Otherwise, safe is more durable and secured (fireproof, waterproof). In the best gun safe under 1000 you'll probably find one you're looking for.

I have two of the Canon 40 x 60 x 24 “safes”. Remember for under $1000 you’re not going to get a safe you’re going to get a security cabinet. Anything under $1000 is a 10 minute entry with a $10 angle grinder. So remember put it in a place where access to it is not great. No outlets nearby. The less access to the sides of the safe the better built in would be the best.

Attachments

• A6640BC6-ABE5-4CF7-93D2-9A198DB7E9F7.jpeg
    A6640BC6-ABE5-4CF7-93D2-9A198DB7E9F7.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 30
Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

Update: talked to someone at Eastern today. Very professional and helpful, wish I could have stopped by to see everything in person. Seems like for the size I want, the best reasonable options are:
-Liberty Revere 23 - $1250
-Eastern Sportsman 25 - $1125
-Liberty Colonial 23 - $1500
-Eastern Superior Regal 25 - $1590

I believe the Liberty Revere 23 is on sale from a Liberty dealer at $999 so it seems to remain the best option at under $1K. I understand these other safes that are 50% more are gonna have better features (bolts on all sides of the door, 11 gauge instead of 12 gauge, 3/16" steel in the door, etc.) but I really don't want to drop that much considering they will fair equally bad against a grinder to the side (which looks to be a pretty simple way of getting into these things).

For my really valuable non-gun stuff (jewelry, cash, etc), I plan to find a small old commercial quality safe on craigslist that someone is looking to unload for cheap. I've already seen a few that are TINY, weigh an insane amount of weight, are from a reputable safe company, and offer a ton more cutting protection (bolted down) than these fancy metal gun boxes. I may even try to find a way to bolt one inside the bottom corner of my gun safe (as long as the door opens easily). We'll see, one step at a time...

I have two of the Canon 40 x 60 x 24 “safes”. Remember for under $1000 you’re not going to get a safe you’re going to get a security cabinet. Anything under $1000 is a 10 minute entry with a $10 angle grinder. So remember put it in a place where access to it is not great. No outlets nearby. The less access to the sides of the safe the better built in would be the best.

Agreed. Tbh I didn't see anything under like $2500-3000 that made any real credible claim to being better at protecting from a grinder to the side. Considering it will be bolted to both the wall and floor, I doubt a typical thief would sit and waste time trying to pry open the door of even a $1000 safe. If they get through my other security measures and have that kind of time (as in they know I'm away for X number of weeks and can take their sweet time), I'm screwed with most semi-affordable options anyway. Just need something to deter the typical snatch and grab thief that may give a lazy effort at getting the door open before hitting the road. Most bozos can get into a locker easily which is the only reason I'm even looking at "safe" options.

Always go one size bigger than you think is big enough....they get outgrown quicker than you think and it's always cheaper to buy a size bigger than another safe down the road....just my $0.02

True. Tbh even this size is much bigger than what I currently need. I have an idea of what guns I want in the future and most are handguns, just a handful of long guns, so I think its perfect for my needs now and in the future.

uhhh... do that math for me one more time.

I think he meant $150 lol even if the return is less than 10%, why not? I don't buy anything I don't think I can afford in a worst case situation so the risk is really not there. Never paid interest on CCs nor would I ever fall behind on payments for something like this. I think I would take a 0% interest loan on any amount of money anyday :D

If they get through my other security measures and have that kind of time (as in they know I'm away for X number of weeks and can take their sweet time), I'm screwed with most semi-affordable options anyway. Just need something to deter the typical snatch and grab thief that may give a lazy effort at getting the door open before hitting the road.

How about a few extra bucks for a dedicated security camera over the safe like this?

IMG_0070.JPG

Mine has a nice view of any face in front of my safe. I set it for motion-activated alerts to my phone while I'm out of town. Any activity is recorded and uploaded to a server and you can also live stream to a phone at any time. If you're out of town and see the camera has gone offline, you can ask a friend to check on the house. This one is the Arlo brand but there are a ton of options.

How about a few extra bucks for a dedicated security camera over the safe like this?

View attachment 216297

Mine has a nice view of any face in front of my safe. I set it for motion-activated alerts to my phone while I'm out of town. Any activity is recorded and uploaded to a server and you can also live stream to a phone at any time. If you're out of town and see the camera has gone offline, you can ask a friend to check on the house. This one is the Arlo brand but there are a ton of options.

Good suggestion. I already have an HD 8 camera setup around the house, covers every angle, every window, every entrance, plus the garage. If anyone tries to get in, they'll be in clear view of at least 1 camera. DVR is hidden/locked up too and can store almost 2 weeks of data from all 8 cameras rolling 24/7 in HD at a good frame rate.

Still, this is a nice idea because its close up and can be set for motion-activated alerts. Will consider it when I get the hard part done: actually getting the safe and installing it lol

To be clear, in MA, gun safes are tax exempt. If they are sold as any other type (ie, executive safe), they are not tax exempt.

There are a host of reasons to not finance anything. The biggest one is risk. If something happens in the near future like a job loss you may end up paying the interest that was free earlier. The minimum payments will not get you to 0 in 18 months so if you don't pay it off on the last month you get to pay interest. And my favorite are the 0% interest loans that if they aren't paid off in 18 months make you pay all the interest you didn't pay for the previous 18 months.
Finally since you have the money why would you want to make payments? That 18 months of "return" don't add up to shit. Even if you made 10% per year on it $1000 only adds up to $15. The average Credit card interest is 18%.

You're off by a factor of 10. $1000 at 10% over 18 months = $153.

Hi there. First of all - you wanna safe or cabinet? If you have many rifles or other stuff like sniper bag, powder measure, reloading press, etc, you probably need to go for a cabinet. Otherwise, safe is more durable and secured (fireproof, waterproof). In the best gun safe under 1000 you'll probably find one you're looking for.

Any idea where that site is hosted? The reviews were not written by a native or fluent speaker of English.

ETA: The site states it's author is Jack Billington. Interesting way to drive traffic.

Any idea where that site is hosted? The reviews were not written by a native or fluent speaker of English.

ETA: The site states it's author is Jack Billington. Interesting way to drive traffic.

The recommendations were all crappy stack ons and cheap 120lb "heavy steel" lockers lol there are much better options at under $1K than any of the ones listed.

Update: 1 day left to decide. I'm about 90% leaning towards the liberty revere 23 at $999. If it was the regular $1200+ price, I would probably go with the cheaper centurion 24 at $724. Gonna check both out in person tomorrow but preparing for the revere as of now.

Unless someone convinces me otherwise...

IMHO buy the biggest thing you can afford + fit through your door.

Wish I did that years ago instead of having the hodgepodge of crap I have now.

Also, its foolish to assume that you won't need the capacity. Just ask anyone that has gotten "that call" from a friend or relative that, for a myriad of reasons, cannot hang onto their guns at a given
time, either due to legal or health issues, etc. I never thought id get that phone call, but I did, and basically we had the additional problem of having to orchestrate storage in short order.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom