• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

need a new, sharp, pointy thing

You guys: thank you again for the suggestions. I read a lot of good things about the Spyderco endura. That said, would you prefer the wave model with sabre grind or full flat grind without the wave?

Another Endura owner here. Out of all the knives I own or have owned, the waved Endura is my favorite EDC.

Only problem is now I need to own an FFG version.

Ended up going with the wave! Though I see myself getting a ffg delica later on.
Good, I figured you'd go for the wave since you like quick-opening knives and most Spyderco knives aren't assisted. The wave compensates and gives you that quick-open if you're wearing it right for that as you know. Not that any good Spyderco I've had was hard to open with one hand, given the giant thumb-hole.

another vote for Spyderco. I just got the Tenacious as well as the Persistence. I'd say the Persistance is the better size for EDC use, but either way there "value line" really is a good value for the price. I realize Spyderco has much better and more expensive options, which I thought about getting, but I just cant spend a lot on knives since I tend to lose them every now and then (same problem with sunglasses).

I have a kershaw leek and after years of pocket lint it starts to not open as well even after blowing out the lint and q-tipping it clean. So I took it apart, cleaned it with some Hoppe's, and then sprayed on a healthy amount of teflon dry spray--NOT OIL--before reassembling. Works as good as new!

As for sharpening, a multi stone system with something to maintain the angle is what you need. these lanksy systems are pretty inexpensive

http://www.amazon.com/Lansky-Deluxe...=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1438737937&sr=1-4

edit: also the emerson main screw is notorious for coming lose. You don't want to overtighten it though or the action will be too tight. I put some loctite on mine and it stays set where it should be just fine.

Last edited:
My EDC is a Kershaw Shallot:
http://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/shallot-black
I treat it like crap, and it's held up quite well. Except the edge, but the concave edge makes it hard to sharpen, and more than likely it's just that I have no skills. I like the knife, I do not like the concave edge - I would get another Kershaw, I would not get a Shallot again.
One thing I LOVE about the knife is the flipper - so easy to open. Whatever you get, make sure to try some with flippers. I doubt I'll ever go back to anything else. I came here to say "flippers". FLIPPERS!

0805150052a.jpg

Been carrying this Griptilian for the past week or so. I'm really loving the Axis lock system on it. Can find them new around $70-$80 if you look long enough on Ebay or other knife forums.

My EDC is a Benchmade MiniGriptillian. They can be had for around $100, or less if you hunt around. Blade is 154CM steel and holds and edge really well. It isn't assisted opening, but its faster than my Kershaw assisted opener is. I really can't say enough good about this knife. Also I've had multiple Kersaw knives. I make Kershaw steel rust. Not so with Benchmade.

My edc knife as well for the last couple of years. Sent it back to Benchmade this spring and for five bucks they totally refurb the knife, sharpen it, clean, comes back like new.

I totally agree with what you say.

My EDC is a Kershaw Shallot:
http://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/shallot-black
I treat it like crap, and it's held up quite well. Except the edge, but the concave edge makes it hard to sharpen, and more than likely it's just that I have no skills. I like the knife, I do not like the concave edge - I would get another Kershaw, I would not get a Shallot again.
One thing I LOVE about the knife is the flipper - so easy to open. Whatever you get, make sure to try some with flippers. I doubt I'll ever go back to anything else. I came here to say "flippers". FLIPPERS!
I carried a kershaw tremor for some time. I liked it a lot. Sharp, sturdy, large blade, but I thought I wanted something a little smaller. I could go back to it but a new knife sounds cool right? Also have a kershaw chill. Both are great and have flipper/assisted opening functions. Plus, the chill is like 15$ and the tremor is 40 (I bought a few years ago for ~20). Kershaws are nice.

I agree about the recurve in the blade. Based on my minimal sharpening skills I might avoid that shape in the future.

I carried a kershaw tremor for some time. I liked it a lot. Sharp, sturdy, large blade, but I thought I wanted something a little smaller. I could go back to it but a new knife sounds cool right? Also have a kershaw chill. Both are great and have flipper/assisted opening functions. Plus, the chill is like 15$ and the tremor is 40 (I bought a few years ago for ~20). Kershaws are nice.

I agree about the recurve in the blade. Based on my minimal sharpening skills I might avoid that shape in the future.

Those look nice. Maybe it's time I got something I can sharpen. Ah well, looks like instead of me helping you, you've helped me. Thank you!

I have been carrying one of these for years now. CRKT -M21- They hold an edge and are rugged and affordable. All I need.

xCRKM2102G1.jpg

This^^^

I own this and a few M16 01KZs, great knives.

Back
Top Bottom