Neat find -- bore light at supermarket!

Chuck

NES Member
Walking down the frozen pizza aisle at Price Chopper and saw this hanging on the end-cap:
BoreLight1.jpg

Well, the LED at the end of flexible wand was hanging there, not the M1. [SMILE]

BoreLight3.jpg

BoreLight4.jpg

Not bad for $4.99!

-= chuck

Got one of those from my Mother-in-law (who is a real estate agent) with her name and contact info on it. Works great.

That laser pointer part is great for exercising the dog and cats too. They like to chase it around the room.[smile]

Last edited:
I bought one at either Lowes or Home Depot a while back. Now I see them in CTD mail order catalogs for $2.[rolleyes]
They're handy for gun shows because of the size. I keep one in my pocket when I want to check out a bore. The long flexible neck lets me hold a long rifle like a G98 Mauser or Mosin 91/30 with the butt down and the light curving into the chamber so I can check rifling and bore condition. My arms just aren't long enough to use the average dealer's bore light to do this, and I don't feel comfortable having someone else point a rifle at my eye while they hold it and shine a light in it for me.[hmmm]

This is what I use at home:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...&group_ID=1109&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

I got it for $29 on sale a while back from a local Snap On Dealer, now they're outrageously priced.
Its very bright, and very small. So thin it you can put it in the muzzle of any 30 cal rifle and light up the bore enough to see metal imperfections such as pitting or damaged rifling on the first inch or so of the muzzle.
You could also put a black dot (electrical tape, black paint) on the surface of the bulb so you're not blinded when you check bore condition from the chamber. Using this method with this light allows me to actually see every inch of a carbine length rifle's bore so I can check for pitted areas as small as a 1/4 inch.
Now when someone says "mint bore" I can find out for sure.[wink]

found one

I found one at price chopper as chuck mentioned earlier.

the package says "avoid direct eye exposure" as a bore sighter

you would be looking directly at the light....

any problem here?????

JimB

I found one at price chopper as chuck mentioned earlier.

the package says "avoid direct eye exposure" as a bore sighter

any problem here?????

JimB

I never shine one directly into the bore unless I have the tip of the lens blocked like I mentioned before. If I'm doing a quick gun show/shop inspection of a bore, I find you can tilt the light at an angle to get enough light in there to see if its ok or not.
Sticking the neck in with the bulb pointing directly back at you will illuminate the bore so brightly that it will look clean and new no matter what shape its in.

JimB

Kind of useless if you do, how do you like my M1 Ray Gun?!
BoreLight4.jpg

Either filter it with something taped over the lens or just shine it around the chamber like in
BoreLight3.jpg

Happy Holidays,
Chuck

my mistake

I bought one, there are 2 buttons on the light, on for the led light
which chuck is showing on his rifle, not harmful, and one for a laser
pointer....

JimB

Back
Top Bottom