Nazi 1938 8X56r ammo -- shoot it?

I bought a Steyer M95 in 8X56R, with 200 rounds of ammo. My kid wanted one -- go figure. I didn't look closely at the ammo until I got home. The ammo headstamp is divided into quadrants, with VII at the top, 19 & 38 at the left and right, and an eagle over a swastika on the bottom quadrant.

It feels very strange to own Nazi ammo from 1938. We bought this stuff to shoot, but I didn't realize what it was.

Would we be destroying historical relics if we shoot this stuff, or is this so common that it has no value other than for target practice?

If this stuff has value to someone, we'd be happy to somehow exchange it for modern ammo. We just want to shoot the gun. We have no particular desire to shoot Nazi ammo in the gun.

Thanks,
-jpg

It's pretty common, I think. Most of the 8x56R I bought was marked that way, and I've probably got 7 or 8 hundred left. The clips might be marked that way as well.

The crew that hangs out in the Mil Surp Collectors subforum would probably know more - might want to post there. I just dabble in C&Rs [grin].

Shoot the stuff. There is plenty of it around. As for being Nazi marked, You are going to find that the majority is going to be marked that way. It is just part of history. Shooting it doesnt make you a nazi. Just enjoy shooting it and spending time with your kid.

Its worth $$$ more these days than when you bought it and so are the charger clips (which I used to throw in the barrel at the range after shooting). People even sell the freaking cardboard boxes with Nazi stampings on E Bay and get $ for them.

I say shoot it and sell off your empties including the clips and boxes.

Enjoy the stuff... and remember what the little old Jewish FFL said to me about dealing in Nazi guns: (Imagine a thick Yiddish accent here...) "Dey're dead, and I've got deir guns!" [rofl2]

Its worth $$$ more these days than when you bought it and so are the charger clips (which I used to throw in the barrel at the range after shooting). People even sell the freaking cardboard boxes with Nazi stampings on E Bay and get $ for them.

I say shoot it and sell off your empties including the clips and boxes.

Wow, didnt know boxes/chargers were worth some money. I tend to keep my casings and my chargers anyway, but now Ill have to make sure that I pick all of them up!

@ OP - I agree with SKS Ray, shoot it and have fun. If you have the spare time when youre done shooting, pick up the casings.

Where do you guys get some of these Nazi rounds?

I collect WW2 stuff and would love to get 1-2 as souvenirs. Obviously I might have to buy more...but need a source.

I can sell you up to three boxes, if you fail to find it elsewhere. The clips might be a tad rusty, but the ammo is quite clean (I believe it's the common 1938 stuff).
Figure $30 plus shipping (probably $12...?) or pick up FTF in North Stonington, CT.

You can load your own (Graf & Sons sell what you need), and save the 1938-39 Nazi-marked stuff as collectibles. All those saying "There's plenty! Shoot it all!" will someday wonder where it all went. (Trust me, I waited just a little too long to buy cases of late '80s South African PMP .303 British!)

If you shoot it, save the boxes and clips. The clips are going to be the rare part, since some folks don't seem to realize the gun is almost useless without them.

There have been a few dealer schemes over the years, with people selling the same ammo as loose rounds, or in clips without boxes, or in boxes with the Nazi end flaps torn off (used elsewhere, no doubt).

I still have about 100 rounds (out of 120), all 1939 Nazi marked, in boxes and clips. I shot a few boxes, saved everything, and if I shoot any more it will be with reloads.

I like lobbing fat lead footballs, but that thing is just ridiculous. It's a 75 yard gun with the minimum sight setting at 200 yards (IIRC). Might as well put a 16x scope on my 18.5" Winchester 1300, for precision distance work. ;)

There's a dealer I know that had some clean Nazi-marked 8x56, but I'll have to verify that he still has it. I have no pricing on this fodder.
He also has a crateful of very clean (loose) 8x50R Czech ammo. Same info on pricing.

Last edited:
If it were me I'd keep most of the nazi ammo and buy some privi. Just remember that the old stuff is corrosive and clean accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom