• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Nashua: Two Injured In Gun Cleaning Accident

Whenever I'm cleaning my carry gun I drop and unload the mag and clear the chamber, then take the mag and rounds down to the end of my driveway and drop them down the sewer grate. After I'm done cleaning it I put the gun in a FedEx box and ship it to myself, using 2 day express. That usually gives me enough time to safely retrieve the mag and ammo and get everything cleaned up and ready to go without the gun being anywhere near my property. The FedEx tracking option provides a little extra peace of mind.

My easy rules I follow.

1: No alcohol or being under the influence while handling firearms.
2: No ammo around while handling firearms.
3: When loading a carry piece. No distractions and the pistol is always pointed in safe direction. Once loaded right into a holster it goes.
4: When unloading a firearm. If it has a safety I can use I use it. Drop magazine, rack slide and eject ammunition. Rack back slide and lock with slide stop. Check for anything that should not be there!
5: If showing a firearm I have not been drinking or have drank any alcohol. Insure firearm is empty and in a safe direction while clearing said firearm. If the firearm has a safety I will use it. No dry firing at all. No ammo in same area.
Everyone's safety is more important than them trying out the trigger. Also if they ever walked into a gun shop the last thing you ever do is pull the trigger on someone else's firearm! That whole place will go quite as the click sound is made!!

The alcohol part as well as distractions and muzzle control seem to be the biggest problems..

Other than never pulling the trigger until you are absolutely sure the firearm is unloaded and never before it is pointed in a safe direction...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom