• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Nashua: Two Injured In Gun Cleaning Accident

first rule of gun cleaning, is to make sure there is NO ammo that fits the gun anywhere in the room. Certainly not within reach or IN the gun.

Idiots.
If you believe this n'eer do well was really cleaning the gun, I have a bridge you might be interested in buying.

So, they're still using the "I slipped in the shower" excuse when something gets rammed up their rectum?
012.gif
Yup. Ambulance drivers know to ask "Were Barbie's arms up or down?".

EMTs and Paramedics are definitely a group of people that are underpaid. The amount of crap they deal with is insane. They start at $12/hr at the company that has the local contract. $12 for the person that may have to perform CPR on your grandmother and then go take care of a baby that got burned with boiling water.

EMTs and Paramedics are definitely a group of people that are underpaid.
Someone is cleaning up on private ambulance rides.

A few years ago, I was transferred from Framingham Union to Tufts via ambulance. The only special service was a cardiac monitor - no IVs, no siren, just an uneventful boring ride with two of these $12/hour EMTs.

Total bill for the ride (actual insurance paid amount - ambulance companies don't have a special lower price for insurers like hospitals do) - $5900. I should have taken an Uber.

Not just private ambulance services . . . Having a number of senior living facilities in our town generates tremendous income back to the town. The public EMT/ALS receipts over the last few years has paid for FD capital equipment such as replacement fire trucks, SCBAs, radios, etc.

Since the topic has been completely derailed..... The cost of anything related to medical procedures is way out of control in this country. Some people fly to other countries to have surgery done, because it is cheaper. And that includes the time they stay afterwards before flying back while they recover. It's absolutely insane.

Yes, they do have a lower price for insurance. Especially if the insurance is Medicare or Medicaid. Which is about 80% of the business. CMS is the 800 pound Gorilla of medical insurance. The private insurance companies follow their lead for the most part.

Ambulance billing is very complex and way outside of this topic.

What I originally wanted to post is that just about every state has a law requiring gun shot wounds to be reported to the police. They will also, even if it's not required by law, report any assault to the police, including stab wounds. Also, hospitals are required to report dog bites, although I think that might be to the Dept. of Public Health.

A few years ago, I was transferred from Framingham Union to Tufts via ambulance. The only special service was a cardiac monitor - no IVs, no siren, just an uneventful boring ride with two of these $12/hour EMTs.

Total bill for the ride (actual insurance paid amount - ambulance companies don't have a special lower price for insurers like hospitals do) - $5900. I should have taken an Uber.

It got derailed after someone whined and said they were underpaid.

There was no whining. I'm not even an EMT. I was pointing out that I don't believe they get paid enough for what they do. If you call that whining then I doubt it is possible for anyone to take you very seriously.

It's also unnecessary to the point of being potentially counterproductive. Rather then having to focus on making sure every last round is out of the room, you should simply be focusing on making sure every round is out of the firearm. It really doesn't matter if you are up to your waist in ammo if the gun is unloaded. Likewise it doesn't matter if you swept the room of ammo entirely except for a single round, when that round is in the gun. It's a needless rule that only adds distractions.

first rule of gun cleaning, is to make sure there is NO ammo that fits the gun anywhere in the room. Certainly not within reach or IN the gun.

Idiots.

I would bet $100 there was no actual "gun cleaning" thing going on. "Hey BAWB LOOK AT MY SIGMA .40! I only paid 200 bucks for this!" (guy fingerbangs trigger while pointing it down, but still sweeping his leg, BANG happens, bullet goes through guy #1s leg and also Guy #2's leg. The "I was cleaning my gun" is a dodge to avoid the embarassment of telling the ER/Kopsch "well I was ****ing around with my gun showing it to my friend, I think I must've pulled the trigger."

-Mike

A friend took some lead splatter to the lip shooting at pepper poppers. I took him to the hospital since he was already ugly enough and I figured they could reduce scarring. They found 16.5gr of lead in his lip.

His wife got a visit from the PD the next day, and the detective was satisfied with the explanation and there were not adverse consequences from the system.

Last edited:
The most dangerous gun is a disassembled gun... More people seem to be shot while "cleaning" their guns, than at any other time. "Unloaded" guns are really dangerous...

Says the hospital called the police. OK....so both guys come in....State it was an accident and the police still have to get involved? Why? If the dudes came in with injuries from an accident like.....For example......His gas grill blew up cuz he left the lid down with the gas on too long and lit it......Would the PO PO be called? Let me guess.....They called the cops "cuz gun".

I'm not defending these two....They are still ****ing dumb. Just pointing out the obvious ggggggun scare with the hospital.

I think that it is standard procedure to make sure they were not involved in a crime. You know, they get shot during an attempted robbery and show up at the hospital and say that they were both shot when Bubba was cleaning his gun.

Idiots.

I have owned and shot firearms for 30 years and have never one time heard of this rule. I really am having a hard time believing this is more than a personal belief. And you know where that belongs...

Never heard of this one either. That would be pretty hard for guys that are deployed... Not saying it is a bad idea.

You have your rules. I'll stick with this one.

Easy, free, and helps make sure there are no accidents. I unload it and take the ammo/mag out of the room befire I start disassembly & cleaning.

YMMV

You have your rules. I'll stick with this one.

Easy, free, and helps make sure there are no accidents. I unload it and take the ammo/mag out of the room befire I start disassembly & cleaning.

YMMV
If it works for you, you absolutely should continue. Change your habits in midstream and you invite error.

It seems a little excessive for me.

sent from my chimney using smoke signals

I have owned and shot firearms for 30 years and have never one time heard of this rule. I really am having a hard time believing this is more than a personal belief. And you know where that belongs...

No ammo in the room is an step that's above and beyond for sure. All well and good. My cleaning station is next to the safe in the basement. There is ammo in the safe. I concentrate on clearing the gun I am working on......Once it's clear I'm not concerned that ammo is going to jump into it.

- - - Updated - - -

Never heard of this one either. That would be pretty hard for guys that are deployed... Not saying it is a bad idea.

Yeah generally the 210 round combat load was right next to me :)

Says the hospital called the police. OK....so both guys come in....State it was an accident and the police still have to get involved? Why? If the dudes came in with injuries from an accident like.....For example......His gas grill blew up cuz he left the lid down with the gas on too long and lit it......Would the PO PO be called? Let me guess.....They called the cops "cuz gun".

I'm not defending these two....They are still ****ing dumb. Just pointing out the obvious ggggggun scare with the hospital.
Maybe the gun shot wasn't from an accident?

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Maybe the gun shot wasn't from an accident?

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Both guys were at the hospital together stating it was an accident. I would assume if one guy shot the other in a state of anger the receiver of the bullet would complain.

Back
Top Bottom