Mythbusters Bullet vs Frying Pan Myth Unbusted or Shooting frying pans = DANGER!

Holy crap glad it wasn't more serious! I guess thats why steel target plates are flat and angled down and to the rear.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

The Mythbusters don't give a rat's patoot about truth on their shows. It's entertainment. They've plagiarized work of other people and bragged that they were first to do it. lol

I have been shooting at junk like old cookware, old appliances, etc for years and it's usually great fun.
I also see lots of videos and discussions about shooting frying pans and old cookware.
Mythbusters even have a video where they "bust" the boomerang bullet myth shooting at a frying pan.

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/videos/bullet-vs-frying-pan.htm

Well, we accidentally proved the busted myth. My son was shooting at the frying pan with my Ruger standard .22 pistol at 25 yards.
I was standing a couple of feet to his left. His first shot missed. His second hit a little right and low of center and went through the pan. His third
shot hit the right side of the pan at the top of the curve, then I heard a whizzing sound and felt a sharp pain in the left side of my
gut. It felt like I was hit by someone swinging a fireplace poker full strength at my gut. I yelled "I'm hit!" and my son looked back at me in shock and disbelief. Fortunately I was wearing a thick cotton shirt over a T-shirt and while the bullet made a hell of an impression, it didn't penetrate my skin. Apparently it was tumbling, but was not malformed much because it made a neat profile impression of the bullet on my shirt and my skin.
So, if you're going to shoot at frying pans, my advice would be shoot at the back side, not the front!

And of course... pics! If you look closely you can see the path of the bullet acroos the pan.

View attachment 110872
And here's what the wound looked like after I cleaned off the blood
View attachment 110877:

Thank you for being so pale. It helps us see the battle scar. ;)

Damn glad no one was seriously hurt. I'm gonna put together a first aid kit/ trama kit and keep it in my car after seing this. I shoot steel everytime i go to the range i should be better prepared.

pretty freakish and Im guessing your one of the few peeps in this thread that can say you got shot ...like others have said glad it wasnt serious

To he'll with you..That kid is probably scarred for life. Lucky it didn't hit him.

Actually, after I assessed the damage and we realized I wasn't dying or as my son put it 'bleed out', we both shot my S&W 629 for a while at paper and coffee cans. We were pretty confident 44 mag was not going to bounce off the coffee cans. [wink]

But you're right, it was very lucky and I'm very glad that it hit me instead of my son.

Actually, after I assessed the damage and we realized I wasn't dying or as my son put it 'bleed out', we both shot my S&W 629 for a while at paper and coffee cans. We were pretty confident 44 mag was not going to bounce off the coffee cans. [wink]

But you're right, it was very lucky and I'm very glad that it hit me instead of my son.

Jeez, could you imagine if it had happened while you were shooting your 44? But maybe it would have punched right through.

I shoot at steel all the time. My club has a cool little plinking range that has about 40 steel targets. It is a ton of fun, but now I will put some more thought into how the targets are set up, especially when my son is with me shooting 22.

My club has several first aid kits handy, but I carry a very well equipped trauma kit in my range bag at all times. Up until this post , I always assumed I would only need it of someone's Glock exploded at the range. [wink]

Thanks again for sharing this experience. It was a real eye opener, and again, glad everyone is ok.

Also - you might consider a trip to the beach to get some sun on that fish belly white skin of yours. [laugh] I have seen albinos with more color than you.

Just a heads up, if you would have went to the hospital, it would have been considered a GSW, "Gun Shot Wound" and they would have had to call the cops, and yes there would be a report and inevitably a file case number.

Dean

Just a heads up, if you would have went to the hospital, it would have been considered a GSW, "Gun Shot Wound" and they would have had to call the cops, and yes there would be a report and inevitably a file case number.

Dean

And in a better world, that would be the best option.
Get checked out - hand over some pictures and they get incorporated into the next round of safety training material to reduce events like this, however unlikely they may be.

Unfortunately, we live in a crappier world where SSS needs to be the operational rule.

Good to hear he didn't have a problem getting back on the horse. I shoot a lot of steel with pistol and one AR 500 target with rifle in the backyard. I shoot kind of close sometimes to the plates and i'm just waiting my turn to have one come back at me.

technically your son shot you. that will be a great story some day. glad everyones ok. I have shot up many pans and will never shoot the top side again. thanks for sharing

Glad you are okay!

Ran across this video a while ago. IIRC, they were shooting .50 at a steel plate over 200 yards out. Really makes you think. With my kids doing archery, they have had arrows deflect off concrete 10 yards back at them. I'm not sure what a safe range is vs cal for shooting steel targets. I might guess at least 100 yards for 22LR

Last edited by a moderator:

This made me curious, and I found a report from the Weapon Related Injury Surveillance System (WRISS).

There are roughly 30 unintentional firearm injuries reported each year (Fig. 30). In 2005–2007, 2 of 77 unintentional injuries were ricochets (Tab. 8). Not surprisingly, the most common reasons for unintentional firearms injuries were cleaning the gun or playing with the gun (Tab. 8).

One thing that really surprised me was the large number of non-powder guns (pellet guns, BB guns, etc.) causing assault-related injuries (Tab. 9). Sixty-nine injuries from drive-by shootings with non-powder guns, really? And 8 legal interventions—I suppose that means self defense. Crazy.

Can you post pics as thing thing heals?? I wonder what that bruise will look like. How sore are you?

OK, you asked for it! I haven't been taking pictures of the progress, but here's what it looks like this morning. The day after the area around it turned dark blue/black and every time I did anything that used my abs it felt like I was being stabbed, but the bruising has faded and so has the pain. At the point of impact it still feels like there is an egg under my skin.
WP_20140807_006.jpg
And hey, I'm from northern European lineage (Germany, near the border of Denmark), thus the pale skin!

Dean

Not to mention getting your name placed on a Bloomberg list of gun violence victims [wink]

Back
Top Bottom