• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mythbusters Bullet vs Frying Pan Myth Unbusted or Shooting frying pans = DANGER!

Deutsche_Dog

NES Member
I have been shooting at junk like old cookware, old appliances, etc for years and it's usually great fun.
I also see lots of videos and discussions about shooting frying pans and old cookware.
Mythbusters even have a video where they "bust" the boomerang bullet myth shooting at a frying pan.

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/videos/bullet-vs-frying-pan.htm

Well, we accidentally proved the busted myth. My son was shooting at the frying pan with my Ruger standard .22 pistol at 25 yards.
I was standing a couple of feet to his left. His first shot missed. His second hit a little right and low of center and went through the pan. His third
shot hit the right side of the pan at the top of the curve, then I heard a whizzing sound and felt a sharp pain in the left side of my
gut. It felt like I was hit by someone swinging a fireplace poker full strength at my gut. I yelled "I'm hit!" and my son looked back at me in shock and disbelief. Fortunately I was wearing a thick cotton shirt over a T-shirt and while the bullet made a hell of an impression, it didn't penetrate my skin. Apparently it was tumbling, but was not malformed much because it made a neat profile impression of the bullet on my shirt and my skin.
So, if you're going to shoot at frying pans, my advice would be shoot at the back side, not the front!

And of course... pics! If you look closely you can see the path of the bullet acroos the pan.

V__9C1A.jpg
And here's what the wound looked like after I cleaned off the blood
WP_20140801_001.jpg :

SEND IT (in to Mythbusters)?

So looks like they were using a much bigger/heavier boolit and were shooting for a deflection off the bottom. It's an interesting excurion (er, except for getting shot, that is).

ETA: Glad you're okay.

Wow. That picture of the pan is pretty interesting, how you can see the entry and exit marks. Do you have the actual bullet?

Your wound looks like one of those Italian cookies with the jelly in the middle of them.

XagaehY.jpg

Attachments

• XagaehY.jpg
    XagaehY.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
That's nuts. Glad your ok. I got hit with Shrapnel off a 45 jacket off a steel plate. It penetrated but was a tiny piece. Yours is far worst.

Gad! 'thanks for sharing that one.

I got popped at the New Bedford range, walking down to the 200yrd targets just in time for the cops to open up on their steel targets on the next range over.

I heard the bzzzzzzz and then the thump of a fragment into my (winter) coat.

#%# do happen down range

Scary, interesting and a lesson learned. Glad you're ok.
Hope your kid doesn't mind getting back out there. Save the target, yrs from now it might be cool to pull out and say "Remember this?!"
I had a 22 come back and hit my calf when we were in Tx. It must have bounced off the dirt cuz it hurt but didn't leave any kind of mark

Guys - I'm *fairly sure* that no one from the Mythbusters show is posting to this website.

The above description is very likely a quote (copy/paste) from the discovery channel website.

If I'm mistaken, then I too am glad Deutsche_Dog is OK.

It's weird, b/c the mythbusters folks are usually really good about getting behind safety barriers whenever doing things with guns and/or explosives. I'm surprised he'd just stand behind the shooter, especially if this (boomerang shot) is what they were actually trying to test.

Guys - I'm *fairly sure* that no one from the Mythbusters show is posting to this website.

The above description is very likely a quote (copy/paste) from the discovery channel website.

If I'm mistaken, then I too am glad Deutsche_Dog is OK.

It's weird, b/c the mythbusters folks are usually really good about getting behind safety barriers whenever doing things with guns and/or explosives. I'm surprised he'd just stand behind the shooter, especially if this (boomerang shot) is what they were actually trying to test.

Ummmm... no, we are not the Mythbusters, we are better looking! And no, the description is not a copy/paste, and the pictures are from my cell phone.

Back
Top Bottom