• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My wife wants to get me a gun for birthday gift

She said she is going to surprise me with a gun for my but is asking me for hints to get an idea of what she should get.

I currently have one .38 spl revolver, two .22 rimfire pistols, a .40 s&w pistol, a 9mm pistol, a 9x18 makarov pistol, a 7.62x25 pistol, and a bolt action 12 ga shotgun.

I am thinking of asking her for a rifle but I have absolutely zero experience with rifles so I don't really know what to look for. I have asked in gun shops but I feel like they are just trying to sell me on something they want to get rid of. Also I don't know where I could shoot it as I am not a member of any ranges so that would be an added expense with getting a rifle. ( I mostly shoot my handguns at Manchester Firing Line)

So basically my question is should I ask her for a rifle or stick with what I know which is handguns? If you think I should ask her for a rifle let me know what kind and why. Just looking for friendly advice.

P.S. I live in NH so AWB is not an issue.

Best wife ever

Beansie,

You Lucky (expletive deleted)...! I'm so jealous. [frown] My DGF does NOT share my affinity for things that go boom. I'm working on her though.

Blitz1

She's only come shooting with me once, but she was a damn good shot at ten yards with my M9. She grew up around guns because her dad and uncle are cops so handguns were commonplace in her house. She learned safe firearms handling from her father but has very little shooting experience.

But yes I am very lucky! So what do you think? rifle? another pistol? a big bore revolver?

Where can I find an FAL? I know nothing about them.

Seeing as you don't have a place to shoot rifle, I'd stick with a pistol. I see you don't have a 1911 yet. I'll be the first of probably very many to recommend that you add one to your collection.

Oh yeah, +1 on the "You lucky ..."

Last edited:
What is her price range? An AK, WASR, AR or maybe a rifle in 22lr to go with your pistols? Too many to list...Garrand, M1 Carbine and on and on and on..........[grin]

Seeing as you don't have a place to shoot rifle, I'd stick with a pistol. I see you don't have a 1911 yet. I'll be the first of probably very many to recommend that you add one to your collection.

Oh yeah, +1 on the "You lucky ..."
A 1911 would be nice, ya know what they say, "once you 1911, you'll never go glock"[smile]

How about a nice gift certificate to your favorite shop? That way you can kick in some bucks and get a nice 1911.

...And, to be cool to her don't let her know you kicked in extra cash for the 1911... just come home with it and say "thank you" look what I got with your gift, it's beautiful.

Maybe a pistol-cal carbine like the Kel-Tec Sub-2000? Fits in your price range, uses rounds you already stock (and maybe the mags you already have), shootable at MFL, and it's a hoot to shoot.

I mentioned the gift certificate idea to her and she said she wants to pick out an actual gun and make it a surprise. She was just looking through a catalog and stopped on a page full of AK-47's and said "These look mean...you'd probably have a lot of fun with one of these" then she folded the page and put away the catalog. I'm going to ask her again tomorrow if she's made any progress in her search. I have always liked the look of AK-47's but I know nothing about them.

So quick tell me some basics about AK's so I can steer her in the right direction either onto them or away from them and I don't end up with a turd of a rifle!!!

That Sub-2000 looks really cool, a friend has one that matches the mags from his Sig but I have yet to fire it with him.

Last edited:
What about an AR-15 completed lower? Put the remaining money towards an upper. Then tell her father's day is just 2 months away... assuming you are a father that is. [wink]

Did she actually say "birthday," or did she just say "I want a gun for my husband"?

The latter could have a different meaning.... [wink]

If she wanted to take me out she would have done it long ago.....and i doubt it would be with a bullet...too quick and easy.

She says she is going to order something this week. I guess I'll be posting pics in the new acquisitions for May thread[smile]

Back
Top Bottom