• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My turn to "jump over the wall"

Hopefully me and my family finally transition to New Hampshire soon. We're very close to a deal on a house and we're just waiting for the appraisal results to come back to the lender.

At any rate, my question to the NES community is this: When are you considered a "resident"? We are currently renting in MA. Our closing date is scheduled before the lease termination.

Am technically a resident of both states at this time? Or just MA since my lease hasn't expired? Or maybe NH because we've completed closing?

You're a resident the moment you decide you're a resident. IMHO it's usually the point where the person dumps their MA DL for an NH one. I'd do that and register to vote, swap your cars over, etc, all on the same day, if you can.

-Mike

Welcome to NH!

Just remember, please leave all of your MA bagage on that side of the fence when you leave. We don't need it or want it here.

Last edited:
Welcome to NH, don't forget to register to vote!

First thing I did was register to vote; I didn't have to move my DL or register my car first, I just showed a passport and "Proof of Domicile".

When are you considered a "resident"? We are currently renting in MA. Our closing date is scheduled before the lease termination. Am technically a resident of both states at this time? Or just MA since my lease hasn't expired? Or maybe NH because we've completed closing?
For tax purposes, you are a resident of a state when you make a commitment to a permanent move, to having your main home in that state. The moment you close on a house, register to vote, or change over your DL, you've made a commitment to New Hampshire residency (Congratulations!) and are no longer a "resident" of Mass.

Remember to inform Massachusetts of your move, so you can stop (or at least reduce) paying MA income tax, and so MA can revoke your CHL.

So, if you don't mind me asking, where are you moving to? Just wondering if I'll have a new neighbor...

Slightly different question - I am about to close on a place in NH as well, but I'm keeping my place in MA, and it continue to be my primary residence for now (i.e. during the week). Is there any way for me to buy a pistol in NH without committing to move up there full-time? I assume the answer is "no" and that I would need to change my DL, auto registration, etc. but wanted to throw the question out to others.

I was considered a resident on the day I signed my lease. I should really change my dl one of these days...

Sent from my Motorola Photon Torpedo using Tapatalk

I was considered a resident on the day I signed my lease. I should really change my dl one of these days...

Sent from my Motorola Photon Torpedo using Tapatalk

Maybe. I think it hinges on the DL, but then again, you don't need a DL to register to vote.

At any rate, I'm over the wall, and I can finally breathe the free (but radon-laced) air!

Slightly different question - I am about to close on a place in NH as well, but I'm keeping my place in MA, and it continue to be my primary residence for now (i.e. during the week). Is there any way for me to buy a pistol in NH without committing to move up there full-time? I assume the answer is "no" and that I would need to change my DL, auto registration, etc. but wanted to throw the question out to others.

If you are suggesting you will be "a resident of NH on the weekends" as I believe you are, that case is very specifically covered on the 4473.

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf

[quote="Question 13. State of Residence]
If you are a U.S. citizen with two States of residence, you should list your current residence address in response to question 2 (e.g., if you are buying a firearms while staying at your weekend home in State X, you should list your address in State X in response to question 2.)[/quote]

A FFL I have spoken with about (a few years ago) this required some kind of proof of residence, like a utility bill, and suggested he would have no problem selling a pistol to a primarily MA resident, who had a second home in NH. Another good example to consider are snowbirds who live in FL and spend the whole summer up here in NH. It doesn't seem fair to keep them from buying guns half the year.

First thing I did was register to vote; I didn't have to move my DL or register my car first, I just showed a passport and "Proof of Domicile".

For tax purposes, you are a resident of a state when you make a commitment to a permanent move, to having your main home in that state. The moment you close on a house, register to vote, or change over your DL, you've made a commitment to New Hampshire residency (Congratulations!) and are no longer a "resident" of Mass.

Remember to inform Massachusetts of your move, so you can stop (or at least reduce) paying MA income tax, and so MA can revoke your CHL.

Yup, I ended up moving the week of Thanksgiving. There's still some boxes laying around, and the house needed some minor repairs, but we're definitely "in NH" now. The referendum votes in 2008 and 2010 (as well as the general election results) sort of cemented our commitment to getting out of MA.

So, if you don't mind me asking, where are you moving to? Just wondering if I'll have a new neighbor...

Raymond.

Congrats! I envy you there...

It was really a lengthy process, but it's worth it.

Good for you! Too bad my wife wants to move back to MA. Thankfully the housing market is awful and we are stuck for awhile.

Our EOPSS list is long

MA just ain't plain worth it, IMHO. Home prices are higher. There's more Nanny-Staters. And just more liberal tomfoolery in general.

I'd tell her to have fun.

[laugh2]

Nice man. I hope everything is going well. How long did the process take to change your license etc? I am on my way to doing the same. Seems Windham will be our city, good school ratings, property tax isn't too bad. God I can't wait.

the possibility of moving back to MA, has to do with the fact that we are living a somewhat phony sense of freedom. We have had nothing but heartache since moving to NH with the money pit POS house we bought in NH. We have enjoyed the gun laws, but we spend most of our time in MA on weekends with family. I work in Boston. We havent had a chance to make many friends in NH, so most of our social life is still in MA, even almost 6 years later. We have 4 people we hang out with in NH, and everyone else is in MA. Her job has a chance to explode in the near future and that may involved a move to Southern MA.

So even though I have all the guns I want, I am never here to enjoy them or carry them.

My apologies for the quasi-narco post...

Nice man. I hope everything is going well. How long did the process take to change your license etc? I am on my way to doing the same. Seems Windham will be our city, good school ratings, property tax isn't too bad. God I can't wait.

NH DL is pretty straight forward. There are some documents you need to bring, e.g. out-of-state DL, SS card, and utility bill, etc. Temp card is issued right then and there and the "glossy" one is sent from Concord. I used the DMV on Route 125 in Epping. There was a big line but it's surprisingly efficient and quick. Unlike the MA "church pew and deli counter" nonsense.

NH P&R license took less than a week. I applied the same day I got my paper NH DL.

the possibility of moving back to MA, has to do with the fact that we are living a somewhat phony sense of freedom. We have had nothing but heartache since moving to NH with the money pit POS house we bought in NH. We have enjoyed the gun laws, but we spend most of our time in MA on weekends with family. I work in Boston. We havent had a chance to make many friends in NH, so most of our social life is still in MA, even almost 6 years later. We have 4 people we hang out with in NH, and everyone else is in MA. Her job has a chance to explode in the near future and that may involved a move to Southern MA.

So even though I have all the guns I want, I am never here to enjoy them or carry them.

Sorry to hear. I'm either busy with work, doing stuff with the family or doing stuff around the house. Most of my close friends, of which most still live in Massachusetts, are doing the same drill so we're not really available hang out often.

Another cost of "freedom".

Back
Top Bottom