My thoughts on the Dakota safe

I think I'd be 100% satisfied if I had paid about 500-600 for it instead of 899. After putting it together, I think the interior is "average" and not really well put together.

It was surprisingly easy to build by myself.

I think the downside is like furniture you buy somewhere like Target. Sure its not super expensive, and its easy to put together. But once you move and re-assemble it 5 times, its ready to fall apart and you toss it out and buy a real piece of furniture.

I think it works well for people like me who "just want something to put their guns in that locks" rather then people who want a really truly secure container.

To me it looks like someone can get into the Dakota pretty easily from prying the top section out. It also is a little front-heavy with the door, if you have to put the safe up on something like a pallet. (I have to do this due to the possibility of the basement flooding slightly.) Or maybe its just front-heavy period. I've never owned a large safe so I don't know if thats just how safes are.

It will do great for now, but when I'm a homeowner I'll probably buy another safe.

Also, "MADE IN CHINA" on the boxes.

Last edited:
It doesn't look too bad at all. Since you have it up on a pallet, is their any way you can chain it to the foundation? Any way you can pry-proof the top?

I agree with Skol for the most part about the Dakota. I bought one a few months back. Since I am in a second floor rental it made a lot of sense for me since it is a break down model. I would disagree that you could pry the top panel out. There are bolts every 5 or 6 inches around every seam on the safe. I don't think it could be done. I will buy another safe when I buy a house, like skol said higher quality better looking, but I'll keep the Dakota in my bedroom because I like the electronic key pad entry, very quick and easy access.

Back
Top Bottom