My "Straw Purchase" at Wal-Mart

MaverickNH

NES Member
My son, 9yr, has an airsoft gun (and helmet). I keep a trigger lock on it and unlock it when he's playing with the neighborhood kids. We have a sheet of rules, including helmet on when anyone is holding an airsoft gun, loaded or "unloaded".

We stopped into Wal-Mart in Hookset, NH Friday and picked up some airsoft ammo and a $7 Crosman airsoft holster for his Walther P22 airsoft gun. When they were ringing up, a buzzer sounded when they scanned the holster and a manager came over and told us he couldn't buy the holster. He looked appologetic, so I didn't hassel him and just said I'd pay for it myself. The clerk asked the manager "Can I do that?" I calmly said it isn't a firearm or ammunition for a firearm and no laws apply - it's just your store policy. The manager just said sell it to him and walked away.

I expect a knockless BATFE raid shortly...

What a F'nig joke. A holster? Are they afraid he was going to throw it at somebody? Would they have sold him a baseball bat? How about a hammer?
I absolutely despise moonbats, while I'm never surprised anymore with the stupidity, it still manages to piss me off.[angry]

What a F'nig joke. A holster? Are they afraid he was going to throw it at somebody? Would they have sold him a baseball bat? How about a hammer?
I absolutely despise moonbats, while I'm never surprised anymore with the stupidity, it still manages to piss me off.[angry]

Undoubtedly this is about concern over liability more than anything else.

Knowing Walmart, the penalty for violating store policies is probably insta-firing. You'd do the same if your job was on the line.

It's the same "logic" that explains why Ethics like dirt won't sell a simple holster in MA. Yes, a leather holster, that's all.

No gun.

a holster

No knife

Nope

Just a holster

And no, you may not have one Mr. Duke.

But...

No.

No Holster for you

Dibs on guns and ammo when the National Security Force comes banging down your door! [smile]

You mean the "guns and ammo" he sold months ago? Geez Mr. BATF agent the paperwork mustn't have gotten into the system yet[wink]

Undoubtedly this is about concern over liability more than anything else.

Knowing Walmart, the penalty for violating store policies is probably insta-firing. You'd do the same if your job was on the line.

I just want to point out that my anger at shit like this is not aimed at the employee, but at the establishment who's policies they are forced to follow. And for the record I would sell the stuff until I got caught and fired. I've been fired from better jobs then WallyWorld for lesser reasons.

I once got hasseled at a wal-mart in NH for attempting to purchase ammo for a friend (and myself). We were on our way to the range in Manchester and stopped for ammo. I told him what to get for my guns he'd be shooting and he told the guy what he wanted (I was buying ammo as well). The clerk asked for our LTC's (not licenses or even FID's just LTC's) and I asked him why I needed to show him a Mass firearms license for a purchase in NH after I handed him my drivers license. He didn't seem to understand that NH law says only that you must be above a certain age to purchase ammo. When I tried to purchase the ammo for him I was told that was a straw purchase and that he would have to call the police if I pushed it any further.

Needless to say the clerk allowed me to purchase my 200 rounds of .45 but no more.

I'm sure it's some stupid corporate policy since the store is so close to the Mass border but come on.

Stupid wal-mart.

I find it odd that that the holster triggered that beep while the airsoft ammo did not. Granted it's just plastic pellets, but i would more readily expect a place like wal-mart to have the sale of those restricted.

I refuse to shop at Walmart...for anything.My wife goes there sometimes but she hates going there also.

Walmart is like the retail (or govt) equivalent of a Dilbert comic. Idiots making policy and the people with brains trying to figure them out.

They will not sell BB ammunition at the Walmart in Walpole. The local PD 'asked them' not to sell it after a bunch of windshields were shot out. I can buy real gun ammo, but not BB's

They will not sell BB ammunition at the Walmart in Walpole. The local PD 'asked them' not to sell it after a bunch of windshields were shot out. I can buy real gun ammo, but not BB's

its like that at the wal-mart in wareham too. stores in wareham also cannot sell blunt wraps because they "may be used to make fat blunts of weed" but they still sell rolling paper makes sense right?

Next will be a restriction on steel toed shoes because of all the attacks with a 'shod foot.'

I used to work at Wal-Mart when I was in school. Being in the automotive and garden departments, I was always around the sporting goods area. They have so many policies about what can and can't be sold to who and when, it's not even funny. At the store I worked in, management was telling us that it was perfectly legal for someone to buy ammo with a drivers license, or FID card, but if they came in with a license to carry we couldn't sell it to them because they might have a loaded gun on them (no joke.) At one point, they wouldn't let you buy pistol and rifle ammo in the same purchase, and they also tried to make it so you couldn't buy more than 50 rounds at a time. They didn't realize that the 9mm and big packs of shot shells come in 100 round boxes. The best was when they freaked out because the gun safes they were selling were coming up with no sales tax, and they tried to add it on because they insisted it was an error. I had a manager practically yelling at me on the sales floor in front of about 20 customers because I wouldn't override the register and add tax to it.

I love Walmart.

. . . I love Walmart.

I saw a documentary on Walmart a while back.

One of the people profiled was a high management level of some sort, and she went on and on how Walmart takes care of their own (their employees) and how much the employees love the company.

They showed her inspecting a cashier, asked a few few casual questions and then slipped in: "Do you love Walmart?"

The quaking, sheet-white clerk, stammered "I sure do!" or words to that effect. I wonder how long she would have lasted at her job had she said anything else?

I saw a documentary on Walmart a while back.

One of the people profiled was a high management level of some sort, and she went on and on how Walmart takes care of their own (their employees) and how much the employees love the company.

They showed her inspecting a cashier, asked a few few casual questions and then slipped in: "Do you love Walmart?"

The quaking, sheet-white clerk, stammered "I sure do!" or words to that effect. I wonder how long she would have lasted at her job had she said anything else?

There was a time that Walmart was a great place to work. Where they didn't take out life insurance policies on employees without telling them, and everything wasn't about the bottom line. Those days are long past, but it was to be expected. Like this country, the beliefs that Walmart was build on have been pushed aside to make way for a profitability machine, without any regards to anything else. I could tell stories about that place that would make anyone think twice about ever shopping there again. I personally refuse to shop at Walmart because of what I know goes on there. And despite what they look like now, with their new image and non-gay commercials, they are worse than ever before.

Back
Top Bottom