• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MY RECENT CABELA'S EXPERIENCE IN THE NANNY STATE OF CONNECTICUT

Does anyone know if they broke ground after all? I could probably dig on Google but figured someone here must know.

Rome

Quite a bit off construction going on where the new Cabela's in Hudson Mass is going to bee. There are two major sites with quite a bit of work, I assume one of them is for Cabela's.

The whole development is really interesting since out-of-state people can't buy ammo or firearms in MA, just like CT now. I guess they'll figure on local traffic will keep 'em afloat.

Rome

Getting a CT pistol permit is easy as cake. Since Sandy Hook the wait time is a good deal longer but as long as you have a home state permit, you'll get a CT permit. The only real disadvantage is the cost, about $200? Maybe a less. Yes, CT sucks. But if you get a permit you can carry in CT and you can buy ammo in CT.

for $200 I can get a case of 9mm and avoid CT altogether.
screw that state....i would rather get punched in the kidney than spend a weekend in CT.

Quite a bit off construction going on where the new Cabela's in Hudson Mass is going to bee. There are two major sites with quite a bit of work, I assume one of them is for Cabela's.

One of the sites in the Hudson shopping center is almost 100% certainly a Cabela's. There is actually a sign that is posted at the closer of the 2 entrances to the highway that says "Cabela's Construction entrance"

In terms of CT, they can EABOD's. Hoffman's wouldn't even sell me primers when i was there last.

What I'm curious about is now that they'll have an ammo sales license in Ma. is if we can order online and have it shipped to us. Either way, the Berlin/Hudson(whichever it is) location will be half the distance the Scarborough location is from me so I can buy .308 in bulk that I can't get from my LGS.

Last edited:
Either way, the Berlin/Hudson(whichever it is) location will be half the distance the Scarborough location is from me so I can buy .308 in bulk that I can't get from my LGS.

Me too, but being a NH resident I'll still only be able to buy at the more distant Scarborough location.

You guys can't buy online either?

I buy online all the time including from Cabela's. But, if I see a Cabela's, I have an uncontrollable urge to pull up to it and go in and look, to figure out what to impulse buy. Anything gun-related though, I won't be able to buy.

What I'm curious about is now that they'll have an ammo sales license in Ma. is if we can order online and have it shipped to us. Either way, the Berlin/Hudson(whichever it is) location will be half the distance the Scarborough location is from me so I can buy .308 in bulk that I can't get from my LGS.

Unlikely. I tried to get BP to ship to the MA store, even spoke to their corporate HQ folks, unbending policy.

I'm certain that the MA AG would threaten their MA licenses if they shipped direct to our homes. No legal reason however that they can't ship to the store for pickup. Once the store opens in MA, I intend to address this to Cabela's . . . I have a corporate officer contact and plan on using that to influence a favorable policy.

Not all, but most online ammo sellers still ship to us in CT. However, Bass Pro will not ship to us. Recently I closed my Bass Pro account and told them since they wont ship ammo I wont do ANY business with them.

I really don't understand the Cabelas strategy in New England: build in East BF Maine, CT and Massachusetts (the latter insuring that only MA residents will go there)? One store in Southern NH could have served all those markets and been a regional destination...hellooooooo, Bass Pro.

I'm guessing the reason they haven't done this is that Kittery Trading Post already serves that market pretty well.

Unlikely. I tried to get BP to ship to the MA store, even spoke to their corporate HQ folks, unbending policy.

I'm certain that the MA AG would threaten their MA licenses if they shipped direct to our homes. No legal reason however that they can't ship to the store for pickup. Once the store opens in MA, I intend to address this to Cabela's . . . I have a corporate officer contact and plan on using that to influence a favorable policy.

Len for President.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Len for President.

Why would you curse me with that? [shocked] [wink]

There was a famous saying (don't recall origin, and this is a terrible paraphrase) that you should not elect those that want to run and those that are more suitable for the job are smart enough NOT to run!

-----------------------------

On a very serious note: In every job I had I always made a point to learn where to find things (or who to see to get info). I don't know all the answers but always try to seek out the answers, I love the challenge. And I'm never intimidated in going straight to the top of a company/gov't org to get the answers.

My Cabela's contact is ironic: It appears that I'm a victim of the Shaw's data breach and someone has been running with my Amex card since June (new info to me as Amex nulled out the attempted charges and I was never notified). I found a $715 AX charge from Cabela's and notified both Amex and Cabela's fraud departments. One thing led to another and I got a personal phone call from a VP at Cabela's giving me info on what they discovered and offering assistance if I ever have questions/issues with Cabela's. I store that sort of info and will use it when the time is right.

I buy online all the time including from Cabela's. But, if I see a Cabela's, I have an uncontrollable urge to pull up to it and go in and look, to figure out what to impulse buy. Anything gun-related though, I won't be able to buy.

[laugh2] If I had a Cabelas within twenty minutes of me I may as well get a job there with all the time I'd spend there walking about. I've only ever been to the one in Maine to pick up some ammo I ordered and spent at least a half an hour walking around with my jaw on the floor in the gun and ammo section alone. I had to walk out before even checking the rest of it out or I'd have dinged my credit cards to the limit. It took nearly all I had in me to not buy a ATV, and I don't even know how to drive them(or have a trailer or hitch to attach a trailer), but I want one.

I pretty much figure they won't, I'd just be curious to as what the AG would invent for a reason now that they've met the license requirement. Knowing this state though, they would probably threaten to revoke the ammo license on some newly invented BS regulation if pushed.

There was a famous saying (don't recall origin, and this is a terrible paraphrase) that you should not elect those that want to run and those that are more suitable for the job are smart enough NOT to run!

I think it's a similar thing, but:

Those who desire to wield power should under no circumstances be allowed to do it.

I think the original quote you're all trying to paraphrase is one due to Douglas Adams:

The major problem — one of the major problems, for there are several — one of the many major problems with governing people is that of whom you get to do it; or rather of who manages to get people to let them do it to them.

To summarize: it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.

To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem.

I used to go to Cabelas in CT. I'm not sure why, they never had what I wanted, and now I can't even buy ammo there. Plus it's taxed.

Now, I just go to Hookset and pretty much find everything I need. I'm not a fan of Ass Pro, but I found some decent deals there on shotgun shells recently, and they do stock a decent amount of ammo, and though I wouldn't buy a gun there, most of their stuff is generally OK priced. What I can't find there at a decent price for ammo or reloading will be found at Shooters or Riley's down the street. It's three stop shopping.....go there every three months or so and come back with everything I need.

I used to go to Cabelas in CT. I'm not sure why, they never had what I wanted, and now I can't even buy ammo there. Plus it's taxed.

Now, I just go to Hookset and pretty much find everything I need. I'm not a fan of Ass Pro, but I found some decent deals there on shotgun shells recently, and they do stock a decent amount of ammo, and though I wouldn't buy a gun there, most of their stuff is generally OK priced. What I can't find there at a decent price for ammo or reloading will be found at Shooters or Riley's down the street. It's three stop shopping.....go there every three months or so and come back with everything I need.

^^this

the only redeeming aspect of living in MA is being less than an hour from NH....otherwise there would be no hope.

I love going to Cabelas! Every time I go there are no out of state jackasses buying up all the ammo by the pallet! Now, they just sit home and complain on the internet about how they save gas by buying ammo five minutes down the road.

Back
Top Bottom