My new old Mauser M48A-And a question

This is my first time into this territory. Can someone tell me about stripper clips? Will any 48 clip work? What should I be looking for? Thanks

Yes, any 8mm Mauser stripper clip will work, provided the Lyman rear sight does not interfere. The M48A is simply an M48 with a couple of stamped vs. milled parts (trigger guard, magazine follower, and magazine base plate).

I was going to say, it looks in that pic like the Lyman is covering the "slot" for the stripper clip.

There are also 2 different width 8mm strippers IIRC. I bought a set of 10 that I believe must be for the later Yugo versions because they are too wide to fit the guide slot on my byf44 k98. I have a set of '03 Springfield strippers that work well on the k98, although the 8mm rounds fit a little too loosely.

You won't be able to use stripper clips in that rifle because of the rear sight thats been installed.

FWIW, if someone felt the rifle was good enough to go through the trouble of putting a target sight on there, they must have been using better ammo than any surplus that would come on stripper clips. If it were mine I'd either work up some handloads or buy quality ammo and shoot it for accuracy.

Seeing as how it looks like the rear sight is removed, you could always get a scout mount from SK and scope it.

Last edited:
Any specific 8mm ammo other than surplus? I also picked up a 8mm last week not sure what ammo to use after I get all of the comso. out of the barrel (K Kale - 1943)

Thanks.

You won't be able to use stripper clips in that rifle because of the rear sight thats been installed.

FWIW, if someone felt the rifle was good enough to go through the trouble of putting a target sight on there, they must have been using better ammo than any surplus that would come on stripper clips. If it were mine I'd either work up some handloads or buy quality ammo and shoot it for accuracy.

Seeing as how it looks like the rear sight is removed, you could always get a scout mount from SK and scope it.

Obviously, I'm clueless.
I'm not a sharpshooter..I just enjoy plinking. I may evolve into something better in a few years.
Thanks for the info

Any specific 8mm ammo other than surplus? I also picked up a 8mm last week not sure what ammo to use after I get all of the comso. out of the barrel (K Kale - 1943)

Thanks.

You have a Turkish Mauser. I remember reading a while back about warnings using high pressured surplus ammo in some Turk Mausers and a recomendation of using modern commercial 8mm because it is low pressured.
I can't remember exactly what the article said but a search on the net (possibly surplusrifle.com) will reveal ammo and receiver differences in Turk Mausers.

Obviously, I'm clueless.
I'm not a sharpshooter..I just enjoy plinking. I may evolve into something better in a few years.
Thanks for the info

Try some decent commerical ammo for the hell of it. Start at 50 yards, then 100. You may find that its a very accurate rifle and it could wind up being one of your favorite boomer/plinkers.[grin]

Thanks for the advise... I checked several sites and did a search and there seems to be more caution notes for the Turkish ammo being high in pressures (not problem with rifles but ammo)....

Anyway, I will try the commercial ammo for now.....

On the barrel there is the import stamp "M1938 GERMAN 8MM"

All my Turkish 8mm ammo is gone, except for 1 stripper clip of 5 rds. That stuff was hot and was causing some bolt face etching because of the brass/pressure. Funny thing was is that I gave 10 rounds to a guy at my range and he weighed the powder charges and projectiles. He found that they were within a 1/10th of a grain or so for the average ( projectiles and powder both ) - that stuff must have been good in it's day!

Joe R.

All my Turkish 8mm ammo is gone, except for 1 stripper clip of 5 rds. That stuff was hot and was causing some bolt face etching because of the brass/pressure. Funny thing was is that I gave 10 rounds to a guy at my range and he weighed the powder charges and projectiles. He found that they were within a 1/10th of a grain or so for the average ( projectiles and powder both ) - that stuff must have been good in it's day!

Joe R.

I've still got bandoliers of the stuff. Let me know if you want some and I'll give you a few stripper clips of it next time were at a shoot.

Back
Top Bottom