• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My Hard Chromed Dan Wesson Pointman 9

DW357

NES Member
I sent off my Dan Wesson Pointman 9 last week to Metaloy Industries for an all matte hard chrome refinish.

I wasn't a huge fan of the original DW brushed stainless flats and bead blasted rounds. I also wanted something durable (for holster wear in IDPA shooting) and I think industrial hard chrome should fit the bill...

Well I got it back today (exactly 1 week from him receiving it!)

It looks amazing to say the least. I'm not sure I even want to shoot it now haha.

I will say that I was surprised that he hard chromed small parts like grip screw bushings but didn't hard chrome the guide rod or recoil spring plug? I just sent off an email asking why that is. Something to do with tolerances and function??

He also did the outside of the barrel with some HC just getting about a 1/10" into the barrel on either end.

Okay enough talking, onto the before and after photos (which really don't do it justice with my iPhone amateur photo skills, looks much nicer in person).

Before: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453850210.224875.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453850231.801333.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453850252.245525.jpg

After:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453850296.834058.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453850305.738448.jpg View attachment 156991 ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453850320.996364.jpg View attachment 156994View attachment 156996

Highly recommend Chris Peters of Metaloy for hard chrome work.

Last edited:
Any 1911 gurus have any idea why the guide rod and spring plug wouldn't be hard chromed? I'm sure Chris will get back to me but just can't figure out why those parts were avoided.

I did notice the barrel bushing was even more snug than before. It's a pretty tight fitted gun so even that very thin HC layer (like 0.0003" if I recall reading) must have made it even more tight. But it should wear in over time.

I hope to hear back from Metaloy regarding the guide rod and spring plug - maybe he'll pay for shipping to send those parts to him for HC. I'm guessing they somehow got overlooked.

Thanks! It wasn't terribly cheap $ but this was my present to myself (assuming I get some money back on taxes, no more gun purchases for a little while unfortunately).

Gemini Customs would have charged more for the "Cobra Chrome." I'm sending my SP off to Metaloy myself.

Not gonna lie it looks awesome, but liked the before a little more

It wasn't awful before but the brushed stainless scratched too easily and the bead blasted rounds was a darker rough finish that I didn't like. I wanted the gun all the same finish throughout. The HC makes cleaning a breeze since it's much smoother.

But of course everyone has their own preference.

Beautiful gun. I am interested in this plating but am leery of the shipping costs. How much was the shipping?

Thanks. Yeah overnighting and insuring a gun of this value wasn't cheap. I learned after the fact I could have saved $25 if I asked Metaloy for a shipping label beforehand. I jokingly whined to him about the high shipping cost then he tells me he can send me a cheaper label since he has a business account with fedex...that was AFTER I shipped it.

It was $98....[puke][crying]

Nice. I might send my Trojan there. Looks awesome.

Thanks Neil. Yeah I highly recommend them. Though I'm still waiting to hear back why the guide rod and spring plug wasn't HC...spent enough money that those should have been done.

I sent off my Dan Wesson Pointman 9 last week to Metaloy Industries for an all matte hard chrome refinish.

I wasn't a huge fan of the original DW brushed stainless flats and bead blasted rounds. I also wanted something durable (for holster wear in IDPA shooting) and I think industrial hard chrome should fit the bill...

Well I got it back today (exactly 1 week from him receiving it!)

It looks amazing to say the least. I'm not sure I even want to shoot it now haha.

I will say that I was surprised that he hard chromed small parts like grip screw bushings but didn't hard chrome the guide rod or recoil spring plug? I just sent off an email asking why that is. Something to do with tolerances and function??

He also did the outside of the barrel with some HC just getting about a 1/10" into the barrel on either end.

Okay enough talking, onto the before and after photos (which really don't do it justice with my iPhone amateur photo skills, looks much nicer in person).

Before:View attachment 156986View attachment 156987View attachment 156988

After:
View attachment 156989View attachment 156990View attachment 156991View attachment 156993View attachment 156994View attachment 156996

Highly recommend Chris Peters of Metaloy for hard chrome work.

How you gunna be a point man with that shiny sexy gun

Well Chris got back to me regarding the guide rod and recoil spring plug:

When the guide rod and plug are stainless we usually do not plate them. They really do not need it and with the recoil spring sliding up and down the rod constantly it tends to really scratch the rod and looks terrible. If sometime in the future you do want them plated we would do it and no cost. Judgement call on our end.

We are so glad you are pleased with the result and appearance.

Chris Peters
Metaloy Industries, Inc.

I guess he makes a good point about the scratching. Maybe I'll hold off on that for now and if I change my mind I'll send those parts to him.

Had a chance to test fire it after plating on Saturday. Had some issues with the mag release. I had to depress the mag release to insert and drop the mags but after 50 rounds or so it "broke in" and worked flawlessly after that.

It is so easy to clean too which is nice.

Back
Top Bottom