• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My Guns Thread from start to future

I wouldn't mod a gun till I know that prior to it worked as I tended. Then go from there testing mods as I go, especially heavy mods i.e. triggers, and other stuff that changes the way it works

If you notice the mods, they are essentially all esthetic. Not counting the vp9s springs and stainless rod and spring.

Sounds like you're on the south shore but just thought I'd mention my club (Cape Ann Sportsmans Club) in Gloucester is accepting new members. Probably too far for you though.

I am and I have zero desire to drive an hour + back and forth for shooting at someplace with a membership.
Going to Hyannis next week for shooting I can deal with, because its not a constant thing.
More of a hold over till Braintree is accepting again.
thanks though.

Springfield sportsman is accepting members. It's actually in monson so only like an hour west of Boston. Right after the membership meeting you get your card and go shoot. At least it was like that a few years ago.

Yea, that's a bit of a hike. See above.

And thanks to a member here, he was gracious enough to invite me to the club he belongs to.
So ill be able to shoot the rifle at 100 yards instead of 25 yards.

19-ace-ventura-touchdown-celebration.gif

I know ill be most likely horrible my first run around, but it is what it is.

With regards to your first range-day with your first battle rifle,
I'll leave you with these words from ~ Col. Jeff Cooper

~Blessed are those who, in the face of death, think only about the front sight.

~The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own.
Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil,
and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda,
they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles

~Man fights with his mind. His hands and his weapons are simply extensions of his will, and one of the fallacies of our era
is the notion that equipment is the equivalent of force.

~The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases.
It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory.

~If you don't understand weapons you don't understand fighting.
If you don't understand fighting you don't understand war.
If you don't understand war you don't understand history.
And if you don't understand history you might as well live with your head in a sack.

Now ride, shoot straight, and speak the truth...

~
Enbloc

So, today was a the day and it was a good one indeed.
I finally got to shoot my guns, and the host that invited me to the range brought some of theres as well.
So, I got to shoot,

100 yards

My rifle cetme c308 with scope and red dot
An AR15 "style" rifle

25 yards

My pistol (vp9)
Beretta 92 ( I want one of these too)
Beretta px4 storm(i want this one)
Sig p320 w/red dot ( the red dot threw me for a whirl on this)
Sig p229 legion (The trigger on this was amazing)
Ruger 1911 (First time shooting a 45 on this. Taught me to tighten my grip real quick)

The range day was great and much needed.
I found out that I'm pretty horrible at pistol shooting.
I'd get the gist of where to put the sight and get on a streak of steel hits for 4 targets and everything would go to shit.
So, I need a lot of practice with this. See more info further down.

The rifle was a different story. I felt I did awesome, but thats my own opinion. Hitting the steel once dialed in was no problem with the scope or red dot.
Same for hitting a 1 quart hanging milk jug.
The highlight of the day to me was blowing up a golf ball at 100 yards with my c308.
I was expecting way more kick, but it wasn't bad at all.
I had 1 malfunction from the 70 or so rounds that went through the rifle. (See attached video)

The AR was fun and easy and a first for me as well.
After a good day outdoors and with time left in the day, I decided more pistol range time was needed. I went by mass firearms (I know) to finish off the pistol rounds that I had with me.
Here, I also rented an HK USP 9mm.
So I got to shoot that and mine side by side.
After doing so, I think I'm better with the USP.
So thats probably my next pew pew purchase.

This picture is the VP9 at around 10ft
Vp9 10 ft .jpg

This one is a mix of 10-15-20 ft
Vp9 10 20 ft.jpg

This is the usp with 10-15-20 feet

Usp 9mm 10 20ft.jpg

Today was also ammo delivery day whooo
20200717_174323.jpg

And for the finally, the 1 malfunction
1 malfunction .mp4

I dont want to name drop the member, because I don't know if he wants his inventory known.
But you know who you are and thanks again.

Good for you! A very strong start. Now find more ammo and keep it up!

Also, I use tape to hold my targets down. Weren't you afraid of hitting those magazines you're holding the targets down with???
Some of them look pretty close... [rofl2]

1595028893679.png

G
So, today was a the day and it was a good one indeed.
I finally got to shoot my guns, and the host that invited me to the range brought some of theres as well.
So, I got to shoot,

100 yards

My rifle cetme c308 with scope and red dot
An AR15 "style" rifle

25 yards

My pistol (vp9)
Beretta 92 ( I want one of these too)
Beretta px4 storm(i want this one)
Sig p320 w/red dot ( the red dot threw me for a whirl on this)
Sig p229 legion (The trigger on this was amazing)
Ruger 1911 (First time shooting a 45 on this. Taught me to tighten my grip real quick)

The range day was great and much needed.
I found out that I'm pretty horrible at pistol shooting.
I'd get the gist of where to put the sight and get on a streak of steel hits for 4 targets and everything would go to shit.
So, I need a lot of practice with this. See more info further down.

The rifle was a different story. I felt I did awesome, but thats my own opinion. Hitting the steel once dialed in was no problem with the scope or red dot.
Same for hitting a 1 quart hanging milk jug.
The highlight of the day to me was blowing up a golf ball at 100 yards with my c308.
I was expecting way more kick, but it wasn't bad at all.
I had 1 malfunction from the 70 or so rounds that went through the rifle. (See attached video)

The AR was fun and easy and a first for me as well.
After a good day outdoors and with time left in the day, I decided more pistol range time was needed. I went by mass firearms (I know) to finish off the pistol rounds that I had with me.
Here, I also rented an HK USP 9mm.
So I got to shoot that and mine side by side.
After doing so, I think I'm better with the USP.
So thats probably my next pew pew purchase.

This picture is the VP9 at around 10ft
View attachment 373459

This one is a mix of 10-15-20 ft
View attachment 373460

This is the usp with 10-15-20 feet

View attachment 373461

Today was also ammo delivery day whooo
View attachment 373462

And for the finally, the 1 malfunction
1 malfunction .mp4

I dont want to name drop the member, because I don't know if he wants his inventory known.
But you know who you are and thanks again.
Good shooting but I think the hostage is dead, 😆 🤣 😂

Had another range day today.
Bought 200 rounds off my brother and headed down to cape cod gun works.
I must say, the store front is wicked nice and the people are friendly as well.
All their prices seemed fair as well as there ammo prices seemed to be on par with target sports.
Example speed gold dot 9mm at target is 39.99 for 50.
Cape cod gun works had it listed at the same price.
They had range 9mm which ill get to in a moment.

I went today, and I also changed my grips around on the VP9.
I seem to favor the left side of the target.
I'll post them if requested.

On top of shooting another 200 rounds through the VP9, i had the opportunity to rent a zenith mp5 clone as well. I put 200 rounds through that as well. That i purchased there.
And I seem to like the left side of the target as well on that.

Overall it was a great range day, and I'll be going back next week probably. I'll either be renting a sig mpx or a kiss vector 40sw I think it was. Or both.

The cherry on top of the day was this though and it was out of nowhere.
I was just plinking away trying to figure out why everything is going left.
Trying different stances,holds, etc.
I then get a tap on my shoulder from the guy in the bay next to me.
He asks if I'm shooting 9mm, and I say yes I am.
He hands me a box with 300 rounds of 9mm in it and says here have fun.
I was floored by the randomness of it and my eyes got all big.
I offered a moment or two later to send him money via PayPal and he denied it. Saying its cheap ammo and I only shoot it here. And then he left promptly with a smile on his face.

If you are on here good sir, and I see you again ,I owe you a beer or 2 or lunch if I bump into you again.
The ammo will be put to good use.

Thanks for the 300 rounds of range/training ammo. 20200723_161053.jpg

So, I thought today was going to be a good day.
Well, it was partially.
20200730_115323.jpg

Some more toys for the c308.
The rifle upgrades for me are pretty much done now.
Beside a trigger job maybe. I like the factory one.
Maybe a better scope in the future.

The 45 degree red dot mount didn't work 😥 .
Scope got in the way every place.
For like 2 nano seconds for shit and giggles i put it on the barrel side rail and went nope.

Mags of course are good and fine and cheap 😁
New buffer won't work with the current recoil rail
😤 it was cheap anyways.

Quick detach mount is mounted. Awaiting sling in mail.

And for the new magpul stock.😡🤬
I spent like 3 hours with this bit*h trying to get it to work. Sanding, filing,more sanding ,more filing. All with a Dremel of course. Finally got it to fit. Finally got the buffer flush to fit. Got one screw in, but not the other.
It went back in the box and I ordered a G3 rail and bracket.
I didnt want to go further and possibly ruin the whole thing and have to spend another $200+ .

Good times.

308 is something I think I have a small but decent amount of
9mm not so much.

But now that both guns i have are "done" (minus new sights for the vp9. Not a fan of the stock ones)

Ammo money and joining a range money opens up.

Today was arrival of the G3 stock day.
And over the weekend I scored a sweet a$$ deal from a member on here for some VP9 mags.
So now I don't have to unload loads and reload at the range as much. The other 45 degree mount i bought, didn't work either 😥 .

20200803_175422.jpg
20200803_191336.jpg
20200803_191344.jpg
20200803_191400.jpg

So short of a maybe trigger and better optics one day and maybe a 45 degree mount that works, the rifle is done.

I must say Mr. DarkJoker, you have a really nice platform right there. Kudos...

@DarkJoker33 is good to start with crap glass (as you’ve done) so when switch over to quality glass and mount it will be a world of difference. Sling on the R, are you lefty w rifle? if enjoying the 308 you might like a bolt action as well. My Ruger ranch 7.62x39 has turned into a range favorite. ammo is still readily available (at least for now). just some thoughts.

Last edited:
@DarkJoker33 is good to start with crap glass (as you’ve done) so when switch over to quality glass and mount it will be a world of difference. Sling on the R, are you lefty w rifle? if enjoying the 308 you might like a bolt action as well. My Ruger ranch 7.62x39 has turned into a range favorite. ammo is still readily available (at least for now). just some thoughts.

No, I'm a righty.
I knew I had it wrong, but the way I mounted the front mount(up), it got in the way with the charging handle.
So I have to move it to the left side facing down instead. I just havent done it yet.

I figured starting with lower cost glass is the best route. Until I cant hit what I'm aiming at, it'll probably stay.

I would like a bolt action one day, along with many other guns.

Springfield sportsman is accepting members. It's actually in monson so only like an hour west of Boston. Right after the membership meeting you get your card and go shoot. At least it was like that a few years ago.
and, it's about 15 minutes south of the Magic Lantern.
I haven't been there since the 80's, but the place was fun.
If I had to pick up a load of lumber at the old Quaboag Transfer
Reload in Bondsville, I'd stop on my way back to the yard.

So I maybe heading to Littleton tomorrow to get myself a present.
Its at the mill, so i can check that off the list.

But, I was thinking of hitting up shooters outpost in New Hampshire while I was in the area.
Since its only roughly 30 min away.
Is there a better place to go to other than them?

The mill is rad. I recommend checking it out. It’s as close to “bringing back the 60s” as it gets. Although I will say that I am planning on going to Shooters Outpost in a couple weeks for the first time so I really recommend going to both. Pick up a lower at the mill and then an upper out of state and optimize on pricing and registration options. Bing bang boom.

So today was a fun day with adventure.
I got up to littleton to see the mill and meet @EddieCoyle .
Also got to go to custom defense solutions.

Its a cool place and I need to hit it on the weekend and see it in full swing.
Also while I was up there I swung into old glory guns and ammo.
Picked up a few things there as well.

I cried on the inside while I was there, because they have just about every pistol I want, but can't technically have, because commiechusetts.

But the whole purpose of the day was to add a new member to the family.

20200813_213431.jpg

20200813_213414.jpg

20200813_213526.jpg

20200813_213552.jpg

An after all that, I went to mass fire arms again to go shooting.
This time around with the vp9, I went down to the small grips and removed the ultra match trigger spring kit.
I'd say the spring kit was the culprit with my shit shooting the first time.
Also rented a full size P30 and my God, that trigger is absolute shit.

First vp9 at 20 feet 5 mags of 10 each 20200813_215647.jpg

First p30 at same distance and same magazine count
20200813_215633.jpg

Then the vp9 at just about 40 ft same amount of magazines
20200813_215641.jpg

Didn't get all of em on there, but better than the last time.

No shotgun shooting ☹, they were out of the ammo you had to buy from them to shoot there.

Back
Top Bottom