My Guns Thread from start to future

So as the title says, I just got my license to carry.

After being disappointed by not being able to get 4 of my 7 choices, I decided on my first 9mm that I'll be picking up this week.

Hk vp9

My other choices were (before figuring out they are not mass compliant)

Iwi masada
Beretta apx
Beretta px4
Beretta 92x compact (I'm assuming this one)
Hk vp9sk

Last choice before deciding I didnt need a race gun and because it was a tank of a gun

Sig sauer p320 X5 legion

Now I'm down to deciding what gun #2 should be.

Either a pocket 380.

Kahr ct380
Walther pt380
Smith and Wesson bodyguard 380

Shotgun

Keltec ks7

22lr

Hk416 (I'm kinda leaning towards this one because itll be near full weight to a regular AR style rifle)
Smith and Wesson 15-22
Ruger 10-22 takedown

Looking for advice or guidance on my second choice. I can get one of the above for now.

Thanks
Colin

I will just say this... I would prioritize and "assault rifle" you would like. With all this chaos going on and the fact it is also an election year and Biden wants your guns for real.

rifles you can get in mass are
Tavor
Scar
Bren
Galil I think?

Im not sure if someone will sell you a 416, nor do I think it is worth the cost IMO. I think it is too much of a "copycat"

If your first gun is 9mm get a carry 9mm as well unless you have a compelling reason to go with a .380.

You could have picked up a Ruger PC9mm rifle for the same price.

A PCC was in my line up of 2nd choice until I gave up on it.

I wanted a main 9mm pistol that shared magazines with the pcc.
Pretty much all of the guns I couldn't get I had paired with a pcc.

Beretta 92x with either the the keltec sub 2000 or the 92x and px4 with the cx4 storm.

Ruger American with the one you mentioned.

I will just say this... I would prioritize and "assault rifle" you would like. With all this chaos going on and the fact it is also an election year and Biden wants your guns for real.

rifles you can get in mass are
Tavor
Scar
Bren
Galil I think?

Im not sure if someone will sell you a 416, nor do I think it is worth the cost IMO. I think it is too much of a "copycat"

There all out of my price range especially with only $400 left after the vp9 purchase

A PCC was in my line up of 2nd choice until I gave up on it.

I wanted a main 9mm pistol that shared magazines with the pcc.
Pretty much all of the guns I couldn't get I had paired with a pcc.

Beretta 92x with either the the keltec sub 2000 or the 92x and px4 with the cx4 storm.

Ruger American with the one you mentioned.
Ruger PCC's also use Glock mags so that make a decent pairing.

There all out of my price range especially with only $400 left after the vp9 purchase
If you want to save some money and be closer to your budget there are some choices:

The Keltec SU16 is about $500-600 and folds in half. Its very light which is both a good and bad thing depending on what you want. .223 and takes AR magazines. I have never shot one, only handled in a shop

The Ruger PC9 is good quality and while its not a real “rifle” it shares ammo with your pistol so you just have to stock up on one kind thats relatively cheap. You can find one for $450-550.

An SKS isnt the most high speed rig on the block, but is accurate and fits the budget closely. Mounting an optic sucks and strippers arent as convenient as magazines but the gun will perform reasonably well. Lower end ones can be had for $300, better ones might be $500.

You can get an AR lower for about that price with just a little work, but it will be more expensive to build it out.

Lastly, this is not a gun to consider, but a bit of wisdom from having been into this stuff for a while. Save up a little more and get what you REALLY want, or close to it. I spent some time dabbling in guns that i “settled” on. Each time i cheaped out i ended up selling those guns and spending a LITTLE bit more on what i actually wanted in the first place. In the long run a difference of 100-300$ for something youll probably keep forever is negligible. On top of that when you sell the “lesser” items youll lose money, which probably means youre even in deeper.

Lastly, this is not a gun to consider, but a bit of wisdom from having been into this stuff for a while. Save up a little more and get what you REALLY want, or close to it. I spent some time dabbling in guns that i “settled” on. Each time i cheaped out i ended up selling those guns and spending a LITTLE bit more on what i actually wanted in the first place. In the long run a difference of 100-300$ for something youll probably keep forever is negligible. On top of that when you sell the “lesser” items youll lose money, which probably means youre even in deeper.

I'm 90% sure I'll never get rid of the VP9.
The reason I'm kinda leaning towards the 416 22lr is because I'd spend more on getting the ruger 10/22 near that.

I'll look into that keltec because I never really looked further into them past the sub2000 and ks7/ksg.

I'm 90% sure I'll never get rid of the VP9.
The reason I'm kinda leaning towards the 416 22lr is because I'd spend more on getting the ruger 10/22 near that.

I'll look into that keltec because I never really looked further into them past the sub2000 and ks7/ksg.
If you want a .22 i really like my 10/22. Magazines are a big deal for me and the 10/22 is unrivaled in that area. I dont like the idea of looking for unusual expensive magazines.

If you want a .22 i really like my 10/22. Magazines are a big deal for me and the 10/22 is unrivaled in that area. I dont like the idea of looking for unusual expensive magazines.

I have a 10-22 and think everyone should own one, but the 15-22 S&W mags put them to shame as far as ease of loading (both are reliable)... now for a MA resident maybe it's a non consideration given you can only buy new 10 rounders. As far as cost, neither are expensive or uncommon.

I just didnt want to comment on which pistol to buy...
Whatever you buy for your first firearm, Under a week you realize you want something else.

im not making light of loosing a firearm....just trying to give real world advice.

So as the title says, I just got my license to carry.

After being disappointed by not being able to get 4 of my 7 choices, I decided on my first 9mm that I'll be picking up this week.

Hk vp9

My other choices were (before figuring out they are not mass compliant)

Iwi masada
Beretta apx
Beretta px4
Beretta 92x compact (I'm assuming this one)
Hk vp9sk

Last choice before deciding I didnt need a race gun and because it was a tank of a gun

Sig sauer p320 X5 legion

Now I'm down to deciding what gun #2 should be.

Either a pocket 380.

Kahr ct380
Walther pt380
Smith and Wesson bodyguard 380

Shotgun

Keltec ks7

22lr

Hk416 (I'm kinda leaning towards this one because itll be near full weight to a regular AR style rifle)
Smith and Wesson 15-22
Ruger 10-22 takedown

Looking for advice or guidance on my second choice. I can get one of the above for now.

Thanks
Colin
With the current state of affairs.....Shotgun.

Most panic buyers are getting small handguns and ar rifles. Stock is depleted. Shotguns are probably still available. Even post Sandy Hook buckshot and birdshot could be found in stores.

Not much you are going to get for $400. I think you mentioned a shotgun? A basic Remington 870 or Mossberg 590 is more than $400.
Mossberg 500s can be found used for $250. Kittery last time I checked had a handful of them all well under $300

Thanks everyone.
I'm aware of the shortages.
Luckily my brother has a good amount of 9mm.
So, if I need any , I'm sure I'll be able to get some off of him.

As for the battle rifle, I'm pretty sure it's out of my price range at the moment.
I'm only going to have maybe $400 left after the vp9
You should be able to find with minimal effort, a nice BG380, lightly used, with or without a laser for around $200 + -, if the remaining $200 is expendable, buy whatever ammo you can, for what you have, or what you plan to have.
Good luck, and congratulations.

Get something in .40 or .357 sig, 9mm is gonna be hard to come by for a while.
You're not gonna find cheap ammo right now with the crazies out.
The only popular pistols you're going to find that aren't priced at MSRP or above are gonna be in .40 or .357 sig.

BG380 is not a very good choice for a first pistol. They are very small, have a challenging trigger for a new shooter, and useless to practice or target shoot with.

So I ended up picking it up today.
I found one in what they call NATO Green and couldn't pass it up.
2 mags, case, all adjustable grips for $625.
I ended up getting 3 boxes of 50 blazer brass for now and 1 box of 20 sig sauer defense ammo,holster,2 extra mags.
All together around $880 with taxes.

So I didnt have enough for a second gun right now.
I'll probably get ammo where I can with the left over.
20200318_173858.jpg

Last edited:
The buying extra ammo path suggests youre further ahead of the curve than most first timers.

Support your local shop or order from targetsportsusa. Youll want another box of hollow points btw - you need at least 41 to fill your magazines and add a +1.

Welcome to the club.

The buying extra ammo path suggests youre further ahead of the curve than most first timers.

Support your local shop or order from targetsportsusa. Youll want another box of hollow points btw - you need at least 41 to fill your magazines and add a +1.

Welcome to the club.

Thanks. Between people here being wicked nice with their advice and my brother pushing that in my head, it is the best course.

I'll get another gun when I can actually decide what to get and with info from here in this thread and other threads.

Hey DarkJoker,
Welcome to the 2A club!
Secret handshake and all that.
You've made a decision that not many people are prepared for or can handle the responsibility of.
Now you have some skin in the game of keeping your rights!

You have a fine pistol there.
It should serve you well for many, many years to come!
Your spoiled now with HK quality.
It's time to get proficient with it and know it like it was an extension of your hand.
Learn how to safely load and unload it.
There are many great youtube videos on the proper hand grip of a pistol.
You will have to see which one works for you.

Be aware of your surroundings and just because you own a firearm doesn't mean you should expose yourself to undue risks.

Now just get it in your head that you have to actually carry it, to have it if needed.
Think of it as a new dog that loves quite peaceful walks, all the time!

Congrats to a new milestone in your life!
You now have the means to defend all that you hold dear.

Last edited:
What I'd recommend, get a full sized 9mm NOW and a full sized 40 NOW. If this possible shortage goes in 40 will be in better supply then 9. I'd get a gun tonight if possible

Or you could get a relatively inexpensive full size .40 and buy a drop in 9mm barrel & mag and use the gun interchangeably. I made the mistake of buying an M&P Full size in .40 a while back. I picked up a 9MM drop in barrel for around $80 and a couple 9mm mags and now I have two calibers in one gun (truth be told, I only use that gun as a 9mm now but I have some .40 ammo and can convert if if ever needed).

OP,
Don't know how far you are from North Brookfield, but Paul Paradis has a great selection of used firearms that not many know about. they start about $150+. Rifles, shotguns, pistols, revolvers, new and used. Oh, he has ammo too. Small shop but well packed. Just mention AL and tell him you're from NE Shooters

I have a VP9. I carry it everyday, year round in an IWB Vedder's Lightuck holster with no issues at all. If I were going to buy a compact I'd go with the same style, a VP9SK, just because the features and layout are the same.
I agree with looking into a shotgun and would also suggest a .22 rifle. I just bought a Thompson Center T/C R22 which I like.

Good luck..

So I ended up picking it up today.
I found one in what they call NATO Green and couldn't pass it up.
2 mags, case, all adjustable grips for $625.
I ended up getting 3 boxes of 50 blazer brass for now and 1 box of 20 sig sauer defense ammo,holster,2 extra mags.
All together around $880 with taxes.

So I didnt have enough for a second gun right now.
I'll probably get ammo where I can with the left over.
View attachment 339760
Welcome to the other side dark joker 33. Here's a extra like to get you started. Ammo. Always buy ammo. When you think you need no more, buy more ammo. Do this and when the next crisis comes, you'll laugh at the people that didn't buy ammo and are now panicking. Buy back up magazines and gear to carry it with you, when you need it most.

So with the stimulus check coming, I decided I'm going to get the keltec su 16ca.
As well as another pistol in 40 hopefully.
But the pistol is for sale on here and in a finish that I'd not prefer.

Are the any local cerakote places on the south shore?

OP,
Don't know how far you are from North Brookfield, but Paul Paradis has a great selection of used firearms that not many know about. they start about $150+. Rifles, shotguns, pistols, revolvers, new and used. Oh, he has ammo too. Small shop but well packed. Just mention AL and tell him you're from NE Shooters
Does he have an online store so you can see what he stocks?

Back
Top Bottom