• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My Guns Thread from start to future

Spend any leftover money on a good knife.

In these trying times, cutting will far out pace shooting...

View attachment 343007
I am a knife fan.
More so a blade fan than a gun fan.
Just spotty on the laws of knives because over never looked them up.
Always had a regular folder on me though.
I know no butterfly's and auto(button push) knives, that's about it.

Herded like cattle?? Why do you say that? Are there better options in Massachusetts? Do tell

Plenty of better options open your eyes or google.

Four seasons is the size of an average living room filled nut to but. Employees are not the most friendly and typical talk to women like they know nothing. Sure their new guns are usually some of the cheapest but its not worth the aggravation to save $20-$30. Also they price gouge when times are rocky. Hard pass....

In case you were wondering Gun Parlor and Mass Firearms School are also places to avoid. There are some others too...

Mass Firearms school Narced out to the news and AG on the AWB. I will never let that die...

If you are looking for good quality used firearms for short cash check out Bay State Gun Buyers (West Boylston) listings on GunsAmerica.com.
They have 12 & 20 gauge pump shotguns for two bills and under. I have purchased several used guns from them and find them
very reputable.

Last edited:
If you just got your LTC, I"m guessing you are a new shooter.

Since you are a new shooter, you probably suck by all reasonable measures.

Its more important that you learn to not suck than it is to have the best hardware.

To that end, I'd suggest a .22 semi auto and then a full sized 9mm or even gamer sized like that competition Sig P320 you looked at.

This will allow you to develop on the fundamentals without developing bad habits. As someone who has provided basic and higher training to shooters, I can tell you that many many people have a "push". The best way to fix it is to never have it start. Sticking with a .22 is the best way to never have it start. (Gee my gun is shooting low. I need to fix the sights)

A small micro9 is about the worst gun for you to be shooting right now. The only thingworse I can think of is a micro 40 or micro 45.

Last edited:
If you just got your LTC, I"m guessing you are a new shooter.

Since you are a new shooter, you probably suck by all reasonable measures.

Its more important that you learn to not suck than it is to have the best hardware.

To that end, I'd suggest a .22 semi auto and then a full sized 9mm or even gamer sized like that competition Sig P320 you looked at.

This will allow you to develop on the fundamentals without developing bad habits. As someone who has provided basic and higher training to shooters, I can tell you that many many people have a "push". The best way to fix it is to never have it start. Sticking with a .22 is the best way to never have it start. (Gee my gun is shooting low. I need to fix the sights)

A small micro9 is about the worst gun for you to be shooting right now. The only thingworse I can think of is a micro 40 or micro 45.

Im not a pro shooter by any means. I do have some experience with shooting with my brother and rifles when I was younger. Its just been a time frame thing inbetween.

The VP9 I got is full size

Whenever I am in the market for a new gun or accessory, I start in the NES Classifieds...
~Enbloc
Almost half of my collection came from the NES classifieds, and half the rest came from group buys. The only reason those numbers aren't higher is that I can't afford to buy more.

Whenever I am in the market for a new gun or accessory, I start in the NES Classifieds...
~Enbloc
I'm actually torn between 2 options in the classifieds right now.

I might get a
40 pistol(nes) and a shotgun(store)
Or
40 pistol(nes) and rifle(5.56) (nes)
Or
rifle(5.56) (nes) and shotgun(store)

I'm wicked torn because the 40 is a deal and a half.
While the rifle is about the same as retail wherever.

Last edited:
I think I see the pistol you want, and if the 5.56 is of good quality that is an excellent start. I would opt for a pistol/mag-fed rifle over a Pistol/Shotgun combo.
Shotguns can be added almost any time; and often at great prices. A Mag-fed 5.56 (AR platform I am guessing/hoping) would be my first choice.
~Enbloc

Im not a pro shooter by any means. I do have some experience with shooting with my brother and rifles when I was younger. Its just been a time frame thing inbetween.

The VP9 I got is full size
Which means you suck with a pistol. Go get a .22. Seriously. You will thank me. Then get the 320 X5 Legion.

Don't take it personally. Everyone starts somewhere and progresses from there. You will progress faster with fewer bad habits if you shoot guns that support good marksmanship habits. Accurate, low recoil guns are how you get there. Low recoil comes from several factors, but the primary ones are cartridge, size and weight of the gun.

The X5 or something like it that is full sized, is an excellent step up because.
1) its heavy - F=MA. If mass is higher, acceleration will be lower. -less recoil.
2) a long barrel tends to recoil more straight back than flipping up.
3) long sight radius rewards you with accuracy when you manage sight picture/alignment and trigger press properly.
4) full sized grip - minimizes perceived recoil and also supports accuracy by resisting movement of the gun when you press the trigger.

Strange, there always seem to be deals on tiny .40s. ;-)

Last edited:
I'm actually torn between 2 options in the classifieds right now.

I might get a
40 pistol(nes) and a shotgun(store)
Or
40 pistol(nes) and rifle(5.56) (nes)
Or
rifle(5.56) (nes) and shotgun(store)

Ill advise against a .40. Since you already have a 9mm theres notging new a .40 will get you except the need to buy a new and more expensive caliber. Having several guns in the same caliber is much more efficient and many.

There's always deals on .40 S&W pistols. Two things to think about. Recoil on a poly pistol and cost of ammo compared to a 9MM. Some .40's aren't fun to shoot. The ammo goes for about $4 a box more than 9MM. So, for every 1K rds you're going to pay about $80 more. The .40 pistol really needs to be a LOT cheaper.

They don't. But getting an 8 lb 308 as your first rifle??? Three are a lot better choices. Oh well.

I've tricked students into a ball and dummy drill. Probably half shove their shoulder forward anticipating recoil.

Examples?
I'm genuinely curious.
Price was $750 with 5 mags.

Shops aren't open.
I've been keeping an eye out on the classifieds and this seemed the best option in the price range.

I originally wanted a 9mm carbine like the berretta cx4 storm or the keltec sub 2000 that accepts beretta 92 mags. But those seem increasingly rare along with the cx4.

The other option was a keltec su16 and keltec rdb.
The rdb for sale i found was sold.

So it came down to a su16 for 600 or a c308 for 750.
I opted for the heavier rifle and round for future proofing and potential bans.

They don't. But getting an 8 lb 308 as your first rifle??? Three are a lot better choices. Oh well.

I've tricked students into a ball and dummy drill. Probably half shove their shoulder forward anticipating recoil.

You would see my shoulder move too. Its post recoil push. You have to anticipate recoil to a degree.

Roland it depends how you are shooting.

If you are shooting a traditional marksmanship course of fire, then you shouldn't push. the only thing that should move is your trigger finger. The only thing going through a new shooters head as he presses the trigger should be "front sight, front sight , squeeezzeeeeeee . . . " Or some variation of that.

I get it if you are squared up trying to shoot at a target as quickly as possible. Its conducive to shooting fast with acceptable accuracy. If you are a good shooter, you should be able to effectively turn that on and off. Think of a 3 gun course of fire where you come around a doorway and hose all the targets in the room at a range of 30 ft. Push all you want. But 20 seconds later when you go up against a barricade to hit a Larue steel target 300 yards up a hill, you would do better if you aren't shoving your shoulder into the shot. Also, if your push is truly post shot, intended to maintain balance, that's different than a pre shot push. In other words, if you had a misfire, would you still push??

Either way, if you can control it, fine. But for a new shooter, trying to run before they can even walk is crazy. I did some instruction with a Boston cop who had been moved to target focused shooting before he had even a basic grasp of the fundamentals. He was fixed by getting him back on a .22 for a bit, then slow fire with his then new Gen4 glock with a hard focus on the front sight. Then slow, single shot drills as I introduced him to target focused/instinctive/reflexive, or whatever you want to call it, shooting.

You can't deny that if someone is a new shooter, its all about building good habits and a .308 as your first rifle is not ideal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom