My Glock 22 blew up in my hand today

I have had glocks fire slightly OOB. The usual result is high POI due to barrel being tilted slightly up. Never had one "blow up" but i do not believe the argument that glocks must be 100% in battery to fire.

You guys are kidding right? This is why Glock chambers are so sloppy loose. Besides, the gun won't fire if the slide is out of battery.
If you push on the muzzle with the palm of your hand, you will see that both it and the slide move back together. At a certain point, the barrel will unlock and drop. Then the slide will begin to move back without the barrel. Try squeezing the trigger at various points as you move the slide and barrel to the rear. You will notice that just before it reaches a point where the barrel unlocks, the trigger will stop functioning. What this means is that if the barrel is unlocked, the gun won't fire.

I ran my G34 for over 12,000 rounds without cleaning it. It was a plinker, range gun, and a gun used in my NRA Basic Pistol class. No problems.

Please PLEASE PLEASE don't even imply that a glock or any other firearm will suffer a catastrophic failure if you don't clean it. That's just not true.

People will read what you write and accept it as fact. Just like Massdiver did.

Massdiver. you should have been joking. Keep shooting your 42. Don't worry. Clean it or don't. It doesn't matter.

Don

Blah blah blah. You made no attempt to even answer the op: None.

You want to attack me? Go for it. Try using relevant facts next time not scare tactics.

How about you explain how it fired OOB and explain the missing fp safety. Hell, how about you address the op just a little.

Yeah, Glocks have loose tolerance like AK's do. That doesn't mean you can never clean it and still expect 100% service. There are several failure points that are prone to getting dirty with a Glock and your dismissal of even a basic cleaning regimen is BEYOND absurd.

The horror. Dishwasher safe Glock explodes! Should have bought a Taurus.[rofl]

Usually on the .40/.357 Sig and 10mm its case failure. This can be caused by two things, one is that the there could be a double charge. Not easy to do in large manufacturers production lines, but not unheard of either. The second and most common is case failure due to thin wall or weakness in the cartridge wall. The area at the base near the rim in this the least supported in a semi auto pistol. If high pressure and thin or defective wall occur, you can have a rupture. This also happens in large bore rifles, but it is usually case head separation and the heavy locking bolt contains the pressure.
blow%20out2_zpsjciwlgju.jpg

Blow%20out%201_zpsidjn1bti.jpg

This is a .45acp case made in Eastern Europe, the quality is poor and most likely caused this rupture.

Last edited:
is the extractor and extractor plunger intact? if so i find it hard to believe the firing pin safety woudl just magically disappear. i'm suspicious that the gun is being fired in the absence of a firing pin safety.

i agree it sounds like it fired OOB with round only partly chambered. part of the purpose of the firing pin safety (correct me if i'm wrong) is to ensure the slide is at least close to being in battery. if the firing pin is missing and the round doesn't fully seat (e.g. if chamber is filthy or whatever), then it will fire OOB.

interestingly, Sigs and many other mfr's have an entirely separate OOB-safety to ensure the slide is fully forward prior to allowing the sear to activate the firing mechanism. glocks do not have this.
The firing pin safety plunger serves one purpose. It prevents the striker from releasing unless the trigger is pulled. When you pull the trigger the ramp at the front of the trigger bar pushes the plunger up into the slide allowing the striker to move forward.

Blah blah blah. You made no attempt to even answer the op: None.

You want to attack me? Go for it. Try using relevant facts next time not scare tactics.

How about you explain how it fired OOB and explain the missing fp safety. Hell, how about you address the op just a little.

Yeah, Glocks have loose tolerance like AK's do. That doesn't mean you can never clean it and still expect 100% service. There are several failure points that are prone to getting dirty with a Glock and your dismissal of even a basic cleaning regimen is BEYOND absurd.

The OP gave a very specific, matter of fact report. There really isn't anything to address.

I would think that my double quote of others posts would give sufficient context for you.

I was commenting on the speculation by two posters that lack of cleaning could lead to a catastrophic firearm failure.

IT CAN'T.

I was trying to nip that FUD fest in the bud.

I'm not sure what scare tactics you are talking about. I was trying to debunk scare tactics that others have posted. There is nothing to be afraid of.

I agree with you, if you want 100% service, clean your guns. My 12,000 round endurance test was just that, a test. This was not a gun that anyone depended on for their life or even to cycle reliably in competition. I wanted to see how long it could go and when it did fail, what failed. (dirty striker channel resulting in light primer strikes)

The FP safety missing is a little crazy. But there isn't much to speculate on. One of 4 things happened.
1) it either got blown out during the explosion.
2) it fell out because the firearm was not reassembled correctly
3) it was removed in the mistaken belief that it was not needed or was only necessary for drop safety.

If it was missing, it could definitely have caused this.

One look at the robust groove in the safety and how its held in place (can't remember if its with the extractor or the spring plunger rod) and you would agree that it didn't fall out of a properly assembled gun.

So I guess the next question is whether or not the slide was detail stripped recently or if a new striker or plunger spring had been installed recently.

Finally - I was not attacking you. I did not question your intellect or integrity. I jut wanted to make the point in the strongest terms. I believe that both you and MassDiver were acting with the best intentions.

Don

Your cleaning regimen would be a legit question.

No, not really. Not unless he was doing something esoteric like shooting unjacketed lead through the thing. (doubtful)

I'm a serial glock abuser and have never heard of that happening because of "lack of cleaning". The only part I disagree with Don on though is the out of battery thing, under some weird circumstances Glocks can fire ever so slightly out of battery (although this is difficult to pull off, because usually when the barrel drops you end up with a light strike and the gun don't go off) but given that this is a .40 (esp with 180s) I'm going to go with ammunition or bullet setback.

-Mike

No, not really. Not unless he was doing something esoteric like shooting unjacketed lead through the thing. (doubtful)

I'm a serial glock abuser and have never heard of that happening because of "lack of cleaning". The only part I disagree with Don on though is the out of battery thing, under some weird circumstances Glocks can fire ever so slightly out of battery (although this is difficult to pull off, because usually when the barrel drops you end up with a light strike and the gun don't go off) but given that this is a .40 (esp with 180s) I'm going to go with ammunition or bullet setback.

-Mike

This. There are numerous articles explaining why the 180gr bullet is a poor choice for .40 S&W cases. Due to a long bullet and a small case, there isn't much room for error that can cause increased pressure such as setback. For this reason alone, I stopped using any 180gr cartridges years ago, and only use 165gr (or less) in my .40 S&W handguns.

As mentioned above, the .40S&W was never intended to be a high-pressure round like the .357 Magnum, 10mm, or 357SIG. In fact, the SAAMI (Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute) specification for the .40S&W is the same as the 9mm spec (35kpsi). Furthermore, there is no such thing as "+p" ammunition for the .40S&W. Manufacturers claiming to produce "+p" .40S&W ammunition are either lying (the ammo is really within standard pressure allowances) or taking risks with your life. Using ammunition rated over SAAMI spec in a .40S&W handgun is very dangerous and should not be attempted.
However, because of the deep-seated 180gr bullets, there is very little extra case volume left after powder and bullet are added to the case. Even the smallest variation in bullet seating or powder volume drastically affects the volume of space inside the case where the chemical reaction occurs which builds the pressure which sends the bullet down the barrel. These minor variations, therefore, make it very easy to get an overpressure situation with a 180gr bullet. The table below shows how dramatically peak pressures increase when the bullet is seated too deeply.

THE MANUFACTURERS KNOW THISFor this reason, most factory .40S&W 180gr ammunition is loaded a little on the weak side. In order to keep a given load below SAAMI specification for mean pressure, the rounds have to be loaded below their optimal performance level. Why? Because factory ammo is subject to these same minor variations. If companies produced ammunition which was, on average, maximum pressure, every once and a while a round would be significantly OVER pressure. Because such over pressure rounds are unacceptable, the average round has to be "dropped down" a notch in power so there is a wider envelope of safe operation.
This "reduced power" problem is easily seen when the 180gr .40 is compared to the 165gr bullets in the same caliber. While experience tells us that, for any particular caliber and pressure standard, heavier bullets have more momentum (as measured by an IPSC Power Factor) than lighter bullets, this is not the case for the .40S&W – an average 180gr load moves at around 975fps and as a PF of 175.5; an average 165gr load at 1,130fps has a PF of 186.5, a VERY big difference denoting significantly greater momentum (as well as energy).
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...513291&usg=AFQjCNFyZp0bbSK_eCxcywg74XW_IYk9kg

Last edited:
I have just been "schooled" in the 180 vs. 165 grain 40 caliber class. I did not know this . good to know. I'll be thinking more about buying some 165 grain.
I have 180 grains now.

Contact both mfg's with photos and an explanation. Measurements are also useful. Most places will take care of it. Your cleaning regimen would be a legit question.
i have a first gen glock 22 and vacuum twice a week and do the bathroom once a week, am I ok?

jraysig glad you are ok. Thats is the most important thing.

At the range today using factory ammo my Glock 22 blew up in my hand. The back of the brass ejected but the rest of it stayed jammed in the barrel. The bullet fired but there was an explosion ejecting the magazine and damaging the slide. It looks like it ruined the gun. Any thoughts on was it the ammo or the gun? Will Glock warranty this? It's a Gen 3 about ten years old.

- - - Updated - - -

Glockster30 thank you for posting.

This. There are numerous articles explaining why the 180gr bullet is a poor choice for .40 S&W cases. Due to a long bullet and a small case, there isn't much room for error that can cause increased pressure such as setback. For this reason alone, I stopped using any 180gr cartridges years ago, and only use 165gr (or less) in my .40 S&W handguns.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...513291&usg=AFQjCNFyZp0bbSK_eCxcywg74XW_IYk9kg

i have a first gen glock 22 and vacuum twice a week and do the bathroom once a week, am I ok?

That comment was actually directed at successfully putting the firearm back together since the fp safety plunger appears to be missing. I understand that it may not read like that and I will attempt to be more clear and verbose in the future.

Don, I have had multiple failures with Glocks due to poor cleaning/maintenance in different firearms. My 26 trigger would not reset bc the factory grease had accumulated too much pocket lint. My 17 firing pin and cavity had accumulated too much dirt and unburnt powder for a proper strike (police trade-in). Neither impact the discussion here; they are stated to illustrate my personal experience.

My point re/ cleaning was directed as much to proper inspection of the firearm during cleaning to identify possible issues and prevent malfunction (see fp block). Cleaning should still be part of basic maintenance no matter the weapon, even if only to familiarize the owner with the working of the weapon.

Any time an internet warrior calls me a FUDD I take that as an attack and and insult. Being called a FUDD simply because I suggested cleaning a Glock is even sillier. Perhaps if we had met in person I would be able to put your comments in context. Until then I just find them absurd and over the top but to each their own.

Fudd != FUD

Any time an internet warrior calls me a FUDD I take that as an attack and and insult. Being called a FUDD simply because I suggested cleaning a Glock is even sillier. Perhaps if we had met in person I would be able to put your comments in context. Until then I just find them absurd and over the top but to each their own.
I don't see anybody calling you a Fudd, but rather calling certain information FUD.

Both are pronounced the same, the first is an insult, the second an acronym for negative and dubious info.

Fudd = Like Elmer Fudd
FUD = Fear, uncertainty and doubt
FUDD = miscapitalization of Fudd

Here's my contribution to get back on topic, take it as you will. I'm an SO running a shooter through a COF. Participant was using a 2nd gen G22 or G23 with reloads. After one instance of the gun failing to go into battery, I let him top off his gear and re-stage. On the third shot the gun exploded. Magazine out the bottom with the mag catch and spring. Slide flew backward and stayed locked back. Ejector got launched into space never to return to Earth, ejector rod shot out past the barrel hood and stuck into the ground like a toothpick, but the right side of the frame stayed intact with just a crack. Safety plunger and spring were gone if I recall, some plastic parts of the trigger suffered damage. Case molded itself to the barrel, who knows where the rest went. Asked to see the shooters ammo, projectiles were visibly 1/16"++ pressed into the case more than factory ammo, I'm guessing the pressure was mighty high. I thought I read somewhere every 1/16" shorter OAL on 180gr .40 is like 12k psi raised floor? Might be totally wrong, made for an interesting picture and reality check for the user.

ruJacFU.jpg

Here's my contribution to get back on topic, take it as you will. I'm an SO running a shooter through a COF. Participant was using a 2nd gen G22 or G23 with reloads. After one instance of the gun failing to go into battery, I let him top off his gear and re-stage. On the third shot the gun exploded. Magazine out the bottom with the mag catch and spring. Slide flew backward and stayed locked back. Ejector got launched into space never to return to Earth, ejector rod shot out past the barrel hood and stuck into the ground like a toothpick, but the right side of the frame stayed intact with just a crack. Safety plunger and spring were gone if I recall, some plastic parts of the trigger suffered damage. Case molded itself to the barrel, who knows where the rest went. Asked to see the shooters ammo, projectiles were visibly 1/16"++ pressed into the case more than factory ammo, I'm guessing the pressure was mighty high. I thought I read somewhere every 1/16" shorter OAL on 180gr .40 is like 12k psi raised floor? Might be totally wrong, made for an interesting picture and reality check for the user.

ruJacFU.jpg

That looks like fun. Does 357SIG have the same sensitivity?

That looks like fun. Does 357SIG have the same sensitivity?

It's not even in the same ballpark.... on Glocks the casehead support in .357 Sig is a lot better (there's more chamber support at 6 oclock) , and from what I remember, .357 Sig also has a thicker casehead on the cartridge itself. Getting a KB with .357 sig is uncommonly rare, although not impossible.

I'd say conservatively that 75% of KB's seen with Glocks are .40 S&W based, and most of the remainder are .45 ACP, with some sprinklings of the other cartridges in there, with 9mm and .357 Sig being the least common.

-Mike

It's not even in the same ballpark.... on Glocks the casehead support in .357 Sig is a lot better (there's more chamber support at 6 oclock) , and from what I remember, .357 Sig also has a thicker casehead on the cartridge itself. Getting a KB with .357 sig is uncommonly rare, although not impossible.

I'd say conservatively that 75% of KB's seen with Glocks are .40 S&W based, and most of the remainder are .45 ACP, with some sprinklings of the other cartridges in there, with 9mm and .357 Sig being the least common.

-Mike

So my new 45 is gonna blow up ? :(

So my new 45 is gonna blow up ? :(

Probably not. Hell I even owned a Glock .40 and I had no problems with it. [laugh]

ETA: While we're on the thought, it would be interesting to see how many .40 S&W KBs (Glock or Otherwise) involved 180 grain ammo...

-Mike

ruJacFU.jpg

Wow. This is why I took a conservative approach with my 40 reloads. Good reminder to be careful.

Yes it would.

Anyone who reloads knows that pressures can go up pretty quickly with heavier bullets. Especially when you are taking up most of the excess case volume with propellant and bullet and using typically fast handgun powders.

Don

Wow. This is why I took a conservative approach with my 40 reloads. Good reminder to be careful.

Use 155s or 165s with decent crimp and long-ish OAL. Also stay the **** away from AA#5. A lot of research I did back in the day, for some reason, there was an abnormal amount of .40 KBs linked to that powder. May have been a coincidence but it kept popping up way too much for my liking...

-Mike

Use 155s or 165s with decent crimp and long-ish OAL. Also stay the **** away from AA#5. A lot of research I did back in the day, for some reason, there was an abnormal amount of .40 KBs linked to that powder. May have been a coincidence but it kept popping up way too much for my liking...

-Mike

And just think, I was using 155 & 165 instead of 180 cause I was cheap and didn't want to spend the extra money for the 180's just for plinking.

-Mike

I use AA5 with 9mm. That would seem way way too fast for anything but the lightest .40s.

I'm not quite in the "you're asking for it with a .40S&W Glock" camp, but you're asking for it with a .40S&W Glock. You hear more about KBs with them than other Glocks. The higher pressure round abuses the gun more since the dimensions and design were based around 9mm. Gun might have failed, leading to an out of battery firing or something else that cased a less-supported case.

On the other hand it could be as simple as an uncommon bad factory round. Shouldn't matter what weight rounds you're using. They shouldn't be blowing up in a Glock for no reason. Always possible that you had bullet setback that you didn't see, leading to an over-pressure.

Back
Top Bottom