My Glock 22 blew up in my hand today

At the range today using factory ammo my Glock 22 blew up in my hand. The back of the brass ejected but the rest of it stayed jammed in the barrel. The bullet fired but there was an explosion ejecting the magazine and damaging the slide. It looks like it ruined the gun. Any thoughts on was it the ammo or the gun? Will Glock warranty this? It's a Gen 3 about ten years old.

The ammo manufacturer or Glock will probably take care of it for you, if you're smart about it.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Any feed back is welcome.

I have seen that happen before on a G-22. The pistol was sent out to Glock and it was determined it was the ammunition. Wolf ended up payng for a new gun.

Contact both mfg's with photos and an explanation. Measurements are also useful. Most places will take care of it. Your cleaning regimen would be a legit question.

Contact both mfg's with photos and an explanation. Measurements are also useful. Most places will take care of it. Your cleaning regimen would be a legit question.

You're supposed to clean glocks?

OP, glad you are OK, obviously either the ammo or pistol is at fault, please keep us updated after you contact Glock.

You're supposed to clean glocks?

OP, glad you are OK, obviously either the ammo or pistol is at fault, please keep us updated after you contact Glock.

Just wondering if the chamber got gummed up and the round had trouble seating properly. Most people would notice and I'm not sure how a Glock would fire out of battery but if that firing pin safety was removed... Well there is your answer.

Just wondering if the chamber got gummed up and the round had trouble seating properly. Most people would notice and I'm not sure how a Glock would fire out of battery but if that firing pin safety was removed... Well there is your answer.

It's a fair question and I was 1/2 joking, although right now my 42 is coming up on 1k with cleaning :)

is the extractor and extractor plunger intact? if so i find it hard to believe the firing pin safety woudl just magically disappear. i'm suspicious that the gun is being fired in the absence of a firing pin safety.

i agree it sounds like it fired OOB with round only partly chambered. part of the purpose of the firing pin safety (correct me if i'm wrong) is to ensure the slide is at least close to being in battery. if the firing pin is missing and the round doesn't fully seat (e.g. if chamber is filthy or whatever), then it will fire OOB.

interestingly, Sigs and many other mfr's have an entirely separate OOB-safety to ensure the slide is fully forward prior to allowing the sear to activate the firing mechanism. glocks do not have this.

Last edited:

It's a fair question and I was 1/2 joking, although right now my 42 is coming up on 1k with cleaning :)

You guys are kidding right? This is why Glock chambers are so sloppy loose. Besides, the gun won't fire if the slide is out of battery.
If you push on the muzzle with the palm of your hand, you will see that both it and the slide move back together. At a certain point, the barrel will unlock and drop. Then the slide will begin to move back without the barrel. Try squeezing the trigger at various points as you move the slide and barrel to the rear. You will notice that just before it reaches a point where the barrel unlocks, the trigger will stop functioning. What this means is that if the barrel is unlocked, the gun won't fire.

I ran my G34 for over 12,000 rounds without cleaning it. It was a plinker, range gun, and a gun used in my NRA Basic Pistol class. No problems.

Please PLEASE PLEASE don't even imply that a glock or any other firearm will suffer a catastrophic failure if you don't clean it. That's just not true.

People will read what you write and accept it as fact. Just like Massdiver did.

Massdiver. you should have been joking. Keep shooting your 42. Don't worry. Clean it or don't. It doesn't matter.

Don

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom