My first rifle........is home

Dad handed me my first rifle in early 1970 a used Winchester Model 67A. I was eight years old. My best friend Scott, Dad and I shot that rifle almost every day that summer and summers for years after.

Over time, I had forgotten about that old rifle until today when I stopped by to see how Mom and Dad were doing. He told me he was glad I stopped in for he had something for me. Seems Mom had been cleaning out the attic. Well, mom comes out of the bedroom with a cloth rifle case and said, this is yours.......I remembered what it was right away!

The memories came rushing back about those happy carefree days of my youth, and to be honest, I teared up a bit too. My best friend scott is no longer with us, he was hit by a car and killed on his daily walk, right down the street from his house just a few short years back. Dad, well, he's now lost a leg and is in a wheelchair, he can no longer tromp through the woods and plink with me. We go to the range but its alot of work for him and he gets tired pretty fast.

But, I now have the rifle and the memories. That makes me happy. Now just to find a bolt...I have no idea where it got too. I remember walking down the sidewalk with it one day and having a cruiser pull up and the cop asking me to remove the bolt and put it in my pocket. I showed him that the bolt was open but he wanted it out completely. I know I took it out and pocketed it and the cop drove off.............I just have no idea where in Hell I put the bolt..... anybody have one?

you better go looking for the bolt, I just did a 15 minute internet search and I found ZERO available, even from Wisners a company that was rumored to get all the NOS from Winchester

Nice. Mine's an old Springfield that my 10yo son now shoots.
it might be easier buying a complete gun rather than looking for a bolt

I'm glad you have your gun and memories. I looked at all my part sites and unfortunately no bolt any wear. I will talk to some of my friends tomorrow.

"no reserve" no bids, but an opening price of 89.95

when ya got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow

Yeah it definitely isn't cheap but to be able to shoot some more memories...I would probably be willing to splurge a little. Maybe the OP feels the same way.

Dont ever get rid of it, I have a few guns from my great uncle and I will never sell them.

BTW that is a nice gun, my dad has one.

That's a great story. I hope you find the bolt.

The rifle I learned on is a Remington bolt action .22. I don't remember the exact model right now, but it sits in my safe while Dad and Mom sell their house. I'm hoping Dad will leave it with me when he moves to TN. I've been told I will one day inherit that rifle. I don't want under those circumstances for at least another 10,000 years.

Back
Top Bottom