My First and New (to me) 1911!!!

Ok so I tried integrating this into a thread a day ago with me having lunch in tombstone. I guess you guys here on NES don't care about Beer and Ribs. Thats so Un-American, you guys should be all about what 9000s is having for lunch on any given day... [laugh2][rofl] Ok,but seriously, afterwards I hit a local pawn shop and found a nice Rock Island Armory 1911 for 325 bucks. With 75 rounds or so and 3 mags and a rug I was out the door for 340. Pictures are below, and a range report may follow once I get some fresh paper to shoot...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10448595@N08/sets/72157611858348502/

Just so happens....

I am in the southwest! Southern AZ Douglas, to be precise. Will be picking up a Dirty Bird for checking shot strings for my target soon. will post and continue to play with it! Will post a few more pics soon. Seemed to be a pretty good price for a 1911 I thought, that wasn't a complete piece of junk... $340 out the door with 3 mags. which by the way over 75 rnds had only 1 feed issue and it may have been a stacking of the rounds or something so it didnt feed right.. dunno time will tell.

[smile] man the boom of a .45 is soooo much cooler than the crack of a 9!!

Just gotta start reloading now....

I have read that brand is known to work quite respectably. Tell us how it works for you. That is certainly a great price if it works reliably.

Agreed.

I don't own one, nor have I ever shot one... but everything I read about the RIA 1911's say that they are generally on the same level as Auto Ordinance 1911's (price point and fit & finish), however the RIA's perform very well and are much more reliable compared to the hit-or-miss AO's.

If I had the $ and came across an RIA 1911 in MA I'd have no qualms about picking it up.

I feel better....

Good to know its not total crap. Blew 75 rounds through it and only had 1 FTF issue. So even the Random mags with it aren't too bad. I did some examination of the gun no signs of frame battering or barrel battering so its made pretty good I guess. ( I read the kuhnhausen manual so clearly im an expert now.... [wink]) but yeah the sights are junk and it needs a beavertail. So those will be two additions for sure. And maybe a shiny trigger. And maybe overhaul and tune the mags... and maybe..... OH LORD NO!!!! ITS BEGUN THE ENDLESS TINKERING OF THE 1911!!!! AHHHH!!! haha man Im going to go sooooo broke its not even funny.

Targets and Ammo...

both procured, trip to the range is now in order!!! Tomorrow that is... Hate this midnight shift business throws me all out of wack... at any rate, will bring the camera too. to document my success (If any, the barrel could really be shot to hell out of this thing just not sure) and will report back soon. So wilson as a good magazine provider, I know chip mccorkmicks are kinda cheap, are they pretty decent too? thinking might go 10rnd mags just for the volume.... also follower designs, should i leave it flat an funky or change it up to curved style if they have those? I noticed they arent recessed like every other modern mag out there... Wondering if a different floor plate can add more rounds to the standard tube length. (I tinker too Much...) I don't got a huge hard on for keeping it totally G.I 'd but if I am going to dump money into def want to make sure its going into the right places. I think i will shoot alot tomorrow to see how the mags perform and when warmed up will do some accuracy strings and see how that pans out. Will post soon!!! [smile] I love my BoomStickHandCannon! Old Loudmouth indeed!

RANGE REPORT AND PICS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10448595@N08/sets/72157611858348502/

Well theres the hyper link to the Flickr acct where its stored at. All pretty self explanatory. I shot a bunch. Sat down put up better targets sighted in slow and shot. Prolly could have done better on a sand bag instead of concrete and my range bag. But there it is, I got a feeling the gun can outshoot me. It needs a little extractor work and maybe a sound cleaning now but other than that its not too bad. I see where bullets get hung up though. 4 FTF or FTE total in around 150+ rounds. Not too bad but not carry worthy, for sure. Thinking maybe I should get a bull barrel for it and a supported feed ramp and get it machined a lil bit... Naw. I'll stay vanilla and trick out the 1911 buy one.... [smile][laugh][cheers][rockon] Gone from no 1911's to having 2 very very soon... muah hahaha its good stuff!!! Next must venture into reloading!! wee!!!

Back
Top Bottom