My Firearms - A Year/Decade In Review

I shed the hangover and lack of sleep pretty well, so I want to ring in the New Year with a little little firepower. As I'm going through the safe, deciding who is going to get some attention this morning, I find myself reflecting on all the guns I've bought and sold in the last decade.

I bought 35 firearms in the last decade, five in 2009. I've sold twelve (including one to a friend), two this year, and transferred two to my girlfriend.

My best acquisition of the year was a mint Browning Challenger II. Of the decade, it's a toss up between my well-loved Smith & Wesson 686, a Ruger Mark II that runs like a champ, and an early Fed Ord M14.

I still regret selling that Beretta (and mags, and ammo, for next to nothing), but I don't miss that commercial M1 Carbine or the Hi Power with the awful trigger for a second.

How about you guys?

A decade ago I was rebuilding. I had sold off practically everything I owned to answer a dream. For me, replacing the IMI Model B I had sold - especially finding one at Collectors that was absolutely brand spanking new in the box, was a particular bonus. Building the SOCOM-16 into a Troy MCS was also a worthwhile project and of course, there was the NES M4 build....This year however, my highlight was purchasing a gun that I had wanted since they first became available, but were always out of reach: Heckler and Koch USP 45f. I now have, what for me is the perfect 45ACP handgun.

Beyond firearms, but oh so closely related is finding my way here to NES. I would give up everything I gained in hardware, if it meant keeping the relationships with the people whom I have met here. Many of the faces I saw at my first and subsequent NES shoots, have become close, dear, life-long friends and that is irreplaceable....

Happy New Year everyone....[cheers]

So far, 8 purchases and three sales. The S&W 642 was one of the purchases I really regret. Only 200 rounds through it, 2 months old, and I got about 40% of what I had spent. I debate about my purchase of a limited, engraved Colt. Too nice to fire, but damn pretty!

So far, just 1, I bought my first yesterday, a Ruger SR9.

I've had my LTC A ALP since April, but other priorities in life superseded me buying one sooner. (moving, wedding, holidays)

So I've gotten my first, and plan to have a few more before the year is out.

I have bought and sold a few guns this year:

Bought:
Sig 239 9mm (one of my favorite purchases with hogue grip and night sites)
S&W 1911PD
M&P 15
Glock 23
S&W M&P9c
S&W Sigma 9mm
Remington 870 Express Shotgun

Sold:
Glock 23 (wish I had this back)
Sigma
M&P9c

Hopefully I am lucky enough to have another good year in 2010.

Dan

My license came in the first week of January.. so 09 was obviously very eventful. I've purchased the 5 guns in my signature, and i'm sure most of them will be with me for a life time.

A decade ago I wasn't even old enough to own long guns. I received my LTC in April of 2009, at the sport has been viral. Originally all I wanted was a pistol for protection after some strange stuff went down at my job, but it evolved into so much more. I bought 5 guns in 2009 and sold one of them. Currently my collection consists of a G17, G30, Walther P22, and an AK. I'll be building an AR-15 carbine over the winter, and hopefully pick up a 1911 soon. A year ago I had never even held a real gun, now I have gone to the range countless times, burnt through thousands of rounds of ammo, spend lots of money, joined a fish and game club, and even shot up a bunch of innocent pumpkins. I hope to be at a few events in 2010 and meet some of you guys.

Happy New Year and Happy Shooting

Biggest regrets: selling my 92fs and my PTR-91

Don't miss: H&K USP 9mm

Best purchases: pre-ban AR and my SOCOM 16

Jury is still out
: Sig 556

Next on the list
: Fulton Armory M1A, Colt series 70 1911

I got my first LTC in 2003 when I was 21, and let it expire in 2006 while I was deployed. I dropped off my LTC app in late September and finally got finger printed the third week of Dec. I should have my LTC in a few weeks.

While living out of state I bought 5 guns in 2009:

XD45
M&P15
Mossberg 500 cruiser
S&W Sigma 9
Mosin Nagant

2009 Bought:
Fulton Armory AR15 w/ACOG
M&P 9
M&P 360
S&W Pro 1911 9mm
Beretta 92FS

Sold:
S&W PC AR15
HK USP .40
Kimber Gold Match Stainless 1911 (biggest regret)
SIG 230

Last edited:
I made my first sale of my gun owning careeer: a Springfield Armory 1911A1, but at the same time, I made some purchases I am very happy with. The Glock 29 has quickly become my favorite handgun.

I think I am more or less done with purchases for the short term future. I am happy with what is in my safe at the current time. I may thin out one or two more guns (my Glock 35 sells next week), but I cant complain anyways.

Oh, I do have a 1911 to build up and an AR lower to build up, but they are on the back burner right now.

Interesting thread. I actually just went to my "file" to check the stats myself.

Although I've owned guns for over 10 years, my record keeping doesn't go back that far. In the last 6 years, I've sold 19 FTF and 12 through FFLs. I've purchased 15 to replace those 31. And this past year almost all purchases have been buying back models that I've previously sold. (learn from this. . . )

I recently gave my "big safe" to a family member that needed it, and am down to 1 midsize safe that's almost full. My plan in 2010 is to build a room in my basement that will be for guns and gun stuff (get into reloading too)

2009 -

Purchases:
Benelli M2 Tactical
S&W 625 JM (favorite)
SA XDM 40
Rem 700 VTR in 308 (this week - my XMAS present to myself)
10/22 (another one... this one built as a LTR for appleseed)
MSR556 (December 08 so I stretched it a little).

I never realized how well rounded the year was:
1 Shotgun, 1 CF revolver, 1 CF pistol, 1 22LR rifle, 1 CF bolt action rifle, and one EBW -
I guess I fell short by a 22LR pistol & revolver --- am thinking of a tactical solutions upper for my Mark II!!!! (already have a S&W 617 that I love)

I've sold all of three. Two to folks here on NES and one to a relative. Keep 'em in the family, so to speak. Of course, one of those sales was quickly turned around and resold. He didn't like it either. [wink]

2009 was a pretty good year for my collection.
I managed to acquire several of the iconic arms I've always wanted.
I got my 1927A1, Uzi B, Luger and P-38. I traded in an S&W model 645 and got a model 627-8. This was actually the biggest net gain year for my collection this entire decade.

Biggest regrets: Taurus Judge, Glock 20C, anything I ever bought chambered in .40. That I didn't buy a Dan Wesson CBOB in 10mm when I had the chance to!

Don't miss: Any of the above - I sold all of it

Best purchases: My Greg Derr Series 70

Next on the list: Gotta get me a H&K SP89 and an H&K 940 for hunting (I still use my dad's .270)

And, next on the chopping block: I am going to get rid of my 9mm Kimber 1911, my Jericho 941 in 9mm, and my Colt 1908 vest pocket in .25acp. I need to get off my butt and post them.

Lost track

I honestly lost track this year, I know I have set some records for jumping in with an I"ll TAKE IT I think 17 minutes after post was a quick one.
But I have also set record with owning a gun for less then 1 hour just because I went from one private sale to a shop and found that oh I gotta have it piece.
All in all it has been great but now my family keeps having these little secret meetings and conversations that make me feel like they may be planning one of those awkward family Interventions like on TV cause man oh man I am addicted.[laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]

Sold: My FAL. Miss it but it went to a good home.

Bought: Mossberg 500 with some evil features.

Slowest year since I got my LTC 8 yrs ago due to buying a new home, getting engaged and all that.

Sold a couple, bought a couple. Don't have anything I want to sell right now, but there's a too long list of firearms I would like to buy but can't (due to no money).

Over 2.25 years, I've purchased 13 and sold 3. I don't regret any of the sales as they were all replaced with something I like better. I have one currently that I really ought to sell but I'm slightly on the fence about.

Biggest regret: selling an almost mint, deep blue, 1956 Sistema Air Force version with matching serial numbers on the slide, frame, barrel and magazine

Don't miss: several Glocks, a Colt 1991, a S&W 1911, and a S&W 640

Best purchases: (2) Greg Derr custom Caspian gov't-models and (2) Bob Miller custom Caspian commanders

Next on the list: another P7M8 or a P7

Made a few purchases in 09, but also a few trades through NES classifieds.

Purchased a Saginaw M1 Carbine, Winchester Model 70, Browning Light 12, S&W model 60, a S&W K-22 and a S&W M&P-15.
I traded my Browning Buckmark for a Star Modelos Super in 9mm largo.
I traded the Light 12 for a S&W 4156
I traded my Glock 19 for a M&P9 and M&P9c.
I then traded the M&P for a Para TAC-S

I have found that when low on cash, trading helps scratch the itch.

So, in total 11 in, 4 out.

My 2 most rewarding purchases this year. A new Para GI Expert 45 ACP and a Dan Wesson CBOB 45 ACP. Both shoot better than I can aim!

This year was not my first shooting, but was my first buying.

I've ended up overpaying for a DPMS Sportical in 5.56, picking up a nice used Kahr K9, a brand new Ruger 10/22, and a sub-$100 Stevens 12ga pump gun.

The wife picked up (and shot 5 points off from Rifleman with) a gorgeous, stainless, scoped Savage MKII w/ bull barrel...she says it's hell for standing. [laugh]

Overall, very very happy with every purchase. Here's to the same number of purchases in 2010? [grin] I'm off to a good start with the lower group buy, but I still need to get my hands on a 1911 of some flavor, a Hi Power, a second K9, a pair of Garands, a S&W 686, and another couple of 12ga shotguns.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom