My Experience at Logan Today (Vehicle Checks and Defensive Spray Policy)

I have a friend who just travelled with a big knife in his carry-on by mistake. Found it in the hotel room and , was freaked out and relieved at the same time.

I have another friend who was arrested for carry on containing Foam Rubber nerf nunchucks , among his jogging shoes , jump rope and hand wraps.
" Oh, those ? They are nerf ... harmless ; look . i work out in the hotel room after hours ... "
" You are under arrest "

Double check for compliance , and be nice to the very powerful authority figures.

That's funny that they have a problem with Nerf "weapons". The few times I fly, I usually dress down for comfort, but a couple years ago I was going to my cousin's wedding, which was litterally a half hour after the plane landed, so I had to fly dressed up. The belt I wore had a 10 ounce buckle, that I've proven I can whip through two 1-inch boards (the same type used in martial arts). Two boards translates roughly to the density of a human skull. So I was allowed to bring a weapon on the plane, that could have gone through someone's skull, without much effort. I could easily break my glasses midflight and have a couple of nice shivs to stab someone with, or crack a CD in half...those can slice through skin real good. Just more proof that it's not what you bring, but instead how you present it.

I find it absolutely terrifying that someone was able to accidentally bring a knife on a plane. Literally, without even trying, they were able to sneak it past airport security. Good to know that security is doing its job.

Careful getting caught with a knife in your air-travel bags.

A relative had that happen once.

Then later applied for a federal job (census taker LOL). He started the job, but was fired a day later as his 'record' of the knife incident caught up with him.

Great governmental background check: hire them FIRST, then fire them AFTER you finally do you job[frown]

Sounds eerily similar to all those "no-fly" guys getting on planes[thinking]

Imagine carrying on your LowePro camera backpack for a trip to Death Valley, (by way of Las Vegas), and arriving at the hotel to unpack your camera gear and realizing there were 3 Gaz camp stove canisters and a Kershaw Scallion at the bottom of your case.... Imagine that....

TSA doesn't want me to pack a non-lethal weapon, so I just went ahead and packed a lethal one.

OC is less lethal, not non-lethal. [wink]

It is only a problem when us lowly civilians are in possession of it. LEO types, like air marshals, can carry whatever they want, checked or unchecked. That badge carries a lot of privilege that us helpless civilians can only dream about.

State level LEO's get to check their guns like everyone else, but the Feds can carry on board. It has to do with training standards, and interference with private business.

The concern of OC on board is the recirculatory nature of the HVAC system. If the OC canister somehow discharged while in the cargo hold, it could contaminate the air inside the cabin, interfering with the flight crew's ability to fly the plane.
That's an issue for the airlines and FAA, not TSA.

Last edited:
State level LEO's get to check their guns like everyone else, but the Feds can carry on board. It has to do with training standards, and interference with private business.
Ah no, it has to do with territory, and aircraft are federal territory. Federal agents who don't have anything to do with airline security, but have a federal badge, are allowed to carry because of the territory issue (we're talking about chicken inspector; IRS investigators, postal inspectors; etc.).

Sub-federal sworn LEO can carry buy only when on official business, and only if they have been certified with the "flying while armed" course (which basically consists of "don't drink; don't let anyone know you are armed; don't interfere in any disturbance on board unless requested to do so by a member of the flight crew"). There was an interesting case a few years ago were a police officer was prosecuted, and a superior officer forced into retirement, because a letter was created stating "official business" when there was none.

The TSA sure does think it is within their jurisdiction.

I think his point is that TSA shouldn't be forcing themselves upon the airlines in order for them to do business.

Ah no, it has to do with territory, and aircraft are federal territory. Federal agents who don't have anything to do with airline security, but have a federal badge, are allowed to carry because of the territory issue (we're talking about chicken inspector; IRS investigators, postal inspectors; etc.).

Like anything else, interagency rivalries turn into contests about who's [STRIKE]balls[/STRIKE] badge carries more weight, but there is a legitimate issue involved here. All Federal LEO's have the same training standards and minimum firearms skill levels. While many states have training standards set by POST or the state equivalent (in Mass. it's the MCJTC), many don't, and even the ones that do vary in quality from state to state. While I disagree with a lot of the federal laws and policies regarding interstate travel with guns, this is one that is grounded in logic IMO. It's similar to the body armor issues recently seen with our troops in the Middle East; the Feds would rather know that everyone has one standard level of protection than allow use of personal armor and risk having some over protected and others underprotected.

It is only a problem when us lowly civilians are in possession of it. LEO types, like air marshals, can carry whatever they want, checked or unchecked. That badge carries a lot of privilege that us helpless civilians can only dream about. LenS is correct. Air travel should be avoided at all costs.

You can bypass ALL of this and even carry-on a handgun or rifle while flying, if you so choose. Just buy your own plane. They aren't THAT expensive - Check out http://www.trade-a-plane.com. 30 seconds of browsing turned up a nice Piper PA-22 for $20k. If you can afford a "sporty" car you can certainly afford an airplane.

As to the privs LEOs and pseudo-LEOs have, did you ever consider becoming one? I suppose if your older, or retired you wouldn't want to, but if you're one of the NES youngsters it might help you channel your passion on the subject. (Is there a [tongue-in-cheek] smilie?)

You can bypass ALL of this and even carry-on a handgun or rifle while flying, if you so choose. Just buy your own plane. They aren't THAT expensive - Check out http://www.trade-a-plane.com. 30 seconds of browsing turned up a nice Piper PA-22 for $20k. If you can afford a "sporty" car you can certainly afford an airplane.

I can't wait to fly my new piper cub to CA. It should take three days and 10 fuel stops. Or maybe I can strip it down and turn it into a flying fuel tank like lucky lindy. [laugh]

I can't wait to fly my new piper cub to CA. It should take three days and 10 fuel stops. Or maybe I can strip it down and turn it into a flying fuel tank like lucky lindy. [laugh]

In a PA-22 you'd make it in a day and a half with maybe 5 refueling stops and you'd see the USA in a way you could never duplicate on a commercial flight. Get a Utah LTC, take care which states you pit stop in and you can bring your guns [grin]

Of course I was only partly serious - its really a matter of what is most important to the individual. I'd LOVE to have a plane of my own for many reasons, some as simple as I am perpetually late and being able to set my own travel schedule even on a longer trip is valuable to me. I don't HAVE to get to CA in 4 hours...

In a PA-22 you'd make it in a day and a half with maybe 5 refueling stops and you'd see the USA in a way you could never duplicate on a commercial flight. Get a Utah LTC, take care which states you pit stop in and you can bring your guns [grin]

Of course I was only partly serious - its really a matter of what is most important to the individual. I'd LOVE to have a plane of my own for many reasons, some as simple as I am perpetually late and being able to set my own travel schedule even on a longer trip is valuable to me. I don't HAVE to get to CA in 4 hours...

Based on the wiki for that craft, 22.22 hours continuous flight time and 5 refueling stops based on 75% power and a 36 gal fuel tank... [grin]

Ask stupid people questions, get stupid answers. The best bet when it comes to the TSA is to check the website, put it in your checked bag if permitted, and shut up. If you ever ask them if you can take something on, the answer is always no. Why would they say yes? There is no reason for them to help you.

Back
Top Bottom