My Experience at Logan Today (Vehicle Checks and Defensive Spray Policy)

1. Cars are being searched as they are entering Central Parking.

2. Defensive sprays, are *NOT* permissible in checked luggage. This was verified by the check-in counter personnel, a manager, and a TSA agent.

After luggage check-in, I asked a TSA agent that was more or less doing nothing about the "new" policy of forbidding defensive sprays in checked luggage. I was told, quite plainly and perhaps with a dash of contempt, that "We don't allow those things on board an aircraft, sir."

I replied that I the TSA website says that sprays are permissible (link), provided that they meet certain size and safety requirements.

The TSA agent snapped back, "Those were never allowed on aircraft, sir. Probably because you need to be licensed."

I replied, "Massachusetts requires a license, and we are duly licensed, but the destination has no such requirement." Her reply, "I'm not a law enforcement agent. I can't answer your question, sir."

I just nodded my head and walked away. Please note there's an obvious discrepancy on the TSA website.

Just a heads up.

- Additional -
http://www.seatguru.com/articles/tsa_prohibited_items.php
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wome...-spray-allowed-personal-protection-ideas.html

Last edited:
Next time bring a print out of the TSA's regulations with you and hand it to the TSA agent. Then ask to speak with their superior officer.

Next time bring a print out of the TSA's regulations with you and hand it to the TSA agent. Then ask to speak with their superior officer.

I was going to do that. I didn't think it was going to be a big deal based on the posts I saw on NES. Most people said it was a breeze. Nope, we ran into a roadblock.

"I'm not a law enforcement agent. I can't answer your question, sir."

Well she was sure acting like one wasn't she? [thinking]

Her attitude was just disgusting. And I totally expected it. She was either incredibly bothered by the fact that I disturbed her from well, nothing, or that I'm a free person who made a conscious decision to have the means to protect myself and my family without the assistance of the state.

I was going to do that. I didn't think it was going to be a big deal based on the posts I saw on NES. Most people said it was a breeze. Nope, we ran into a roadblock.
It usually is a breeze, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be prepared for stupidity.

I personally know a few TSA agents and they both have told me that REGARDLESS of what the written TSA policies/rules are, they are instructed that THEY CAN DISALLOW ANYTHING THAT THEY WANT TO DISALLOW!!

This is one of the big reasons I have no desire to ever step foot on airport property or fly anywhere ever again.

It's impossible to work within rules/policies that are written in quicksand.

I personally know a few TSA agents and they both have told me that REGARDLESS of what the written TSA policies/rules are, they are instructed that THEY CAN DISALLOW ANYTHING THAT THEY WANT TO DISALLOW!!

This is one of the big reasons I have no desire to ever step foot on airport property or fly anywhere ever again.

I just maintain a low profile and don't ask any questions, especially when I know that I am going to get B.S. "information" from those TSA numbskulls. I just toss a Cold Steel 4" lock-blade folder into my checked luggage, concealing it within a well-worn pair of running shoes, with a pair of gym socks securing the knife deep inside the shoes. I never had a problem with TSA and never gave them a reason to give me a second look. When I reach my destination, the knife goes in my right front trouser pocket, completely concealed.

I print out a new one every trip, AND the regs of the airline.

I usually do too. I got hassled in Texas of all places returning to NH with my carry pistol. I claimed it like I was supposed to, then TSA asked me to open the case so they could tag it. The fat lady screamed at me because I started to open it before she was ready. Like she was f-ing E.O.D. or something and needed to defuse the charge.

I just maintain a low profile and don't ask any questions, especially when I know that I am going to get B.S. "information" from those TSA numbskulls. I just toss a Cold Steel 4" lock-blade folder into my checked luggage, concealing it within a well-worn pair of running shoes, with a pair of gym socks securing the knife deep inside the shoes. I never had a problem with TSA and never gave them a reason to give me a second look. When I reach my destination, the knife goes in my right front trouser pocket, completely concealed.
Huh? Knives have always been allowed in checked luggage, with no need to declare. OC spray was not allowed in checked luggage at one time. And since most checked luggage is X-rayed, you are not concealing it by putting it in your shoes -- the X-rays go through the shoes.

Hell, even DISNEY is getting in on the act - when I was there last week the guard at Disney Hollywood Studios wanted to see what the clip on my pocket was - it was my GOAL/NES Buck knife. He told me to put it back in the pocket and not let it show as knives aren't allowed on the property.

Never mind the fact that I'd been wearing it for the three days previous to that and no one said [STRIKE]bipity-bopity[/STRIKE] boo.

Huh? Knives have always been allowed in checked luggage, with no need to declare.

My camera bag contains a fairly good sized Swiss Army Knife. It has NEVER been questioned. I think I've even carried the camera case on board.

The ONLY time we got into trouble with a knife was when one was accidentally placed in our carry-on, instead of checked, luggage. After the initial flap, they let us put the knife (Mother's Day present) into our checked bag and we continued on.

There WAS a fine, but that came later.

My camera bag contains a fairly good sized Swiss Army Knife. It has NEVER been questioned. I think I've even carried the camera case on board.

The ONLY time we got into trouble with a knife was when one was accidentally placed in our carry-on, instead of checked, luggage. After the initial flap, they let us put the knife (Mother's Day present) into our checked bag and we continued on.

There WAS a fine, but that came later.

Two seasons ago coming home from Bozeman MT I was using my hunting backpack as my carry on. got home and was unpacking it the next day to find my Browning 3 blade hunting knife in the hydration pouch of the pack. Got away with it once I wont try again.

Yeah, that's how bogus this system is. It's not about public safety as it is about control. There's this perverse need for the system to control you. If it somehow could "insure your safety" they use that as the tag line. It's all a bunch of bunk to me.

Fortunately, I wasn't the one flying; it was my wife. I have just an aversion to flying in general. The militarization of air travel is enough to dissuade me from ever stepping foot on a plane again.

Wise plan. Our simple mistake - NO intent to hide a weapon in carryon luggage - cost $500.

Holy crap!!!
Would you mind elaborating a bit? I'm pissed-off they would do something like that.
1) They couldn't "let it slide"? I'm sure anyone in your situation would say it's unintentional, but come on! WTF!
2) Did they inform you how much the fine would be before you got it?

Everybody makes mistakes, but if this happened to me, and they didn't arrest me or bring charges, I'd be rip-shit that they'd send me a fine after the whole ordeal

Careful getting caught with a knife in your air-travel bags.

A relative had that happen once.

Then later applied for a federal job (census taker LOL). He started the job, but was fired a day later as his 'record' of the knife incident caught up with him.

Oh sure, I'm just still wondering why these bozos opened my suitcase with a crowbar instead of just flipping the (unlocked) locks open[angry] $ 300 suitcase arrived at FRA in pieces, held together by tape.
That happened on my 2nd last trip to NES-land back in 2003.

I have a friend who just travelled with a big knife in his carry-on by mistake. Found it in the hotel room and , was freaked out and relieved at the same time.

I have another friend who was arrested for carry on containing Foam Rubber nerf nunchucks , among his jogging shoes , jump rope and hand wraps.
" Oh, those ? They are nerf ... harmless ; look . i work out in the hotel room after hours ... "
" You are under arrest "

Double check for compliance , and be nice to the very powerful authority figures.

I have a friend who just travelled with a big knife in his carry-on by mistake. Found it in the hotel room and , was freaked out and relieved at the same time.

I have another friend who was arrested for carry on containing Foam Rubber nerf nunchucks , among his jogging shoes , jump rope and hand wraps.
" Oh, those ? They are nerf ... harmless ; look . i work out in the hotel room after hours ... "
" You are under arrest "

Double check for compliance , and be nice to the very powerful authority figures.

What happened after getting arrested? Disposition yet?

Huh? Knives have always been allowed in checked luggage, with no need to declare. OC spray was not allowed in checked luggage at one time. And since most checked luggage is X-rayed, you are not concealing it by putting it in your shoes -- the X-rays go through the shoes.
TSA doesn't want me to pack a non-lethal weapon, so I just went ahead and packed a lethal one.

TSA doesn't want me to pack a non-lethal weapon, so I just went ahead and packed a lethal one.

The concern of OC on board is the recirculatory nature of the HVAC system. If the OC canister somehow discharged while in the cargo hold, it could contaminate the air inside the cabin, interfering with the flight crew's ability to fly the plane. In contrast, your knife can't jump out of your checked luggage and injure the pilots.

They've since become less concerned over OC. But TSA's concern was over OC in checked luggage was never that OC was a non-lethal weapon. So your logic simply doesn't hold water.

The concern of OC on board is the recirculatory nature of the HVAC system. If the OC canister somehow discharged while in the cargo hold, it could contaminate the air inside the cabin, interfering with the flight crew's ability to fly the plane. In contrast, your knife can't jump out of your checked luggage and injure the pilots.

They've since become less concerned over OC. But TSA's concern was over OC in checked luggage was never that OC was a non-lethal weapon. So your logic simply doesn't hold water.
It is only a problem when us lowly civilians are in possession of it. LEO types, like air marshals, can carry whatever they want, checked or unchecked. That badge carries a lot of privilege that us helpless civilians can only dream about. LenS is correct. Air travel should be avoided at all costs.

Oh sure, I'm just still wondering why these bozos opened my suitcase with a crowbar instead of just flipping the (unlocked) locks open[angry] $ 300 suitcase arrived at FRA in pieces, held together by tape.
That happened on my 2nd last trip to NES-land back in 2003.
I hope that you underpaid your federal income tax by $300 in the next filing period as reimbursement. This is not tax cheating; it is simply making yourself whole again after some federal TSA goon trashed your expensive suitcase.

I hope that you underpaid your federal income tax by $300 in the next filing period as reimbursement. This is not tax cheating; it is simply making yourself whole again after some federal TSA goon trashed your expensive suitcase.

IIRC, JuergenG is not a US citizen, and he lives in Germany. I doubt he pays US federal income tax. And even if he did, recommending to someone that they underpay their federal income tax is just about the dumbest suggestion that I've ever seen.

IIRC, JuergenG is not a US citizen, and he lives in Germany. I doubt he pays US federal income tax. And even if he did, recommending to someone that they underpay their federal income tax is just about the dumbest suggestion that I've ever seen.
If you want to stand back and let government employees destroy personal property that you paid good money for and not do anything to reimburse yourself, that is your decision. Be a good little sheep and let the government rip you off.

If you want to stand back and let government employees destroy personal property that you paid good money for and not do anything to reimburse yourself, that is your decision. Be a good little sheep and let the government rip you off.

1. You have no proof it was TSA, as opposed to mere thieves handling the baggage.

2.The intelligent procedure is to file a claim with the carrier.

3. Suggesting one commit tax fraud to recover from a broken suitcase is cretinously irresponsible. Spare us your "sheep" sophistry; it doesn't fly.

"Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah !

THUMP! "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkw2DdoskPY

Back
Top Bottom