My buffer tube nut wrench

groundscrapers

NES Member
So I was feeling cheap and decided to have my friend cut me a wrench I drew up in autocad versus buying an armorers wrench (which I don't really need at the moment)

this was the outcome.

WRENCH.jpg

1/8" 18-8 stainless.

Only issue I have is the tabs that interface with the nut are a little too long and hit the threads as the nut is engaged. ( why they made the buffer tube so the threads get larger in diameter is beyond me lol). I can make a slight tweak with my dremel and call it a day. For those of you green members I will probably put the second one out there for karma. For you non green members its a good reason to become green.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice....You and your friend should go into business....I'd buy one!

I second that thought!!

I agree. That looks very well made, and stainless, too. If you could produce these at a reasonable retail price and make a respectable profit, I think you'd have a market. It sure looks much better than some of the cheap ones I've seen out there.

Nice job!

I was thinking about making a few of these wrenches with the same handle design for other parts of the gun and slapping them together on a key ring or something. If you guys like em I can ask my buddy what he would charge for more.

thats slick.....heck why not a bottle opener. I like tools. I have so many 1 time use tools....... maybe a NES logo on it and do a group buy!

Just thought I'd add, some of the wrenches have a cutout for tightening the buffer tubes that have a nub on the end, so if you could some how incorporate that into the design it would work on those kind of buffer tubes as well.

tool0904.jpg

Mike

Stupid question: Have you and your friend done the math on the total costs here (including machine usage and opportunity cost)? Is this machine otherwise idle?

One-off tools usually aren't terribly cost effective compared to a mass-produced part. Not invariably true, just usually true.

Stupid question: Have you and your friend done the math on the total costs here (including machine usage and opportunity cost)? Is this machine otherwise idle?

One-off tools usually aren't terribly cost effective compared to a mass-produced part. Not invariably true, just usually true.
My buddy usually nests the parts I need cut into the scrap areas that are in the middle of other jobs being run on the laser. It adds hardly any time to the cut cycle to pop out a few pieces.

My buddy usually nests the parts I need cut into the scrap areas that are in the middle of other jobs being run on the laser. It adds hardly any time to the cut cycle to pop out a few pieces.
good stuff...

I've just seen what it costs to 'steal' some time in those machines for one-off car parts and generally once all is said and done, its hard to make short runs pay off against the cost of fungible commercially available parts like that...

good stuff...

I've just seen what it costs to 'steal' some time in those machines for one-off car parts and generally once all is said and done, its hard to make short runs pay off against the cost of fungible commercially available parts like that...

I do design engineering for a living which involves ordering large amounts of custom built tooling and parts. It also gives me access to alot of interesting machining processes such as laser, water jet, edm, and just about every other cnc process.

I updated the design a bit by adding a provision for a 3/8" torque wrench to be attached and I added an opening to tighten down the buffer tubes on the other end. Thoughts?

WRENCH-1.jpg

You might want to push that 3/8" drive hole back to give the torque wrench head some clearance from the buffer tube. It looks awfully close.

Back
Top Bottom