• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Murphy and Cornyn seem to have agreed on some New Gun Control...

What is the "boyfriend loophole" in this new bill? We've had the "gun show loophole", the "Charleston loophole" and now this one. Seems kinda sexist.

I THINK it refers to unmarried people with domestic-violence convictions, somehow. I guess wives have been able to get court orders against such people, but girlfriends haven't?

But I don't really know.

What is the "boyfriend loophole" in this new bill? We've had the "gun show loophole", the "Charleston loophole" and now this one. Seems kinda sexist.
Straw purchase for prohibited person boyfriend by a girlfriend who will pass NICS, perhaps.

Sounds like more bureaucracy,

Several senators last week said they expected one cornerstone of the deal would be legislation sponsored by Sens. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) and Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich.) to establish a nationwide network of “community behavioral health clinics.”

The legislation will expand high-quality mental health and addiction services nationwide by giving every state the opportunity to fully fund the creation of Certified Community Behavioral Health Clinics in their communities as part of health care.

When your only tool is a hammer. . .

You can’t get re-elected if you aren’t doing something. Something is making laws. Making laws that hire more government workers = more job security.

CNN's take. I'm sure they got advanced word, and plenty of time to pluck their copy into shape.

Looks like they will make selling a firearm to someone who is adjudicated (court hearing) a danger to themselves and/or others, double illegal. The extended investigative period for a under 21 purchase with give them extra time to drag ass. It will be similar to being delayed during a NICS check. Hopefully, this all goes to shit during the draft of the bill. You and I know that the leftys will try and insert some crazy shit.

Looks like they will make selling a firearm to someone who is adjudicated (court hearing) a danger to themselves and/or others, double illegal. The extended investigative period for a under 21 purchase with give them extra time to drag ass. It will be similar to being delayed during a NICS check. Hopefully, this all goes to shit during the draft of the bill. You and I know that the leftys will try and insert some crazy shit.

This is going to be a very delicate compromise piece of legislation, because the leftys are up in arms already. Sure they'll vote for it, but their base sees this as a capitulation on the Really Important Things, like AWB and UBC.

This is going to be a very delicate compromise piece of legislation, because the leftys are up in arms already. Sure they'll vote for it, but their base sees this as a capitulation on the Really Important Things, like AWB and UBC.
How is it a 'compromise' when the Dems are getting everything they want in exchange for nothing? "Gee now that backgrounds checks are super secure, let's repeal the Hughes Amendment and add penalties for state authorities violating FOPA" -what a real compromise would look like

When your only tool is a hammer. . .

You can’t get re-elected if you aren’t doing something. Something is making laws. Making laws that hire more government workers = more job security.
well, Blunt is said to not be running for reelection again in Missouri so he may as well f*** everything up as much as he can while he has the chance...good riddance Roy....California is calling you.

How is it a 'compromise' when the Dems are getting everything they want in exchange for nothing? "Gee now that backgrounds checks are super secure, let's repeal the Hughes Amendment and add penalties for state authorities violating FOPA" -what a real compromise would look like

It's a compromise because Murphy wants an AWB and Cornyn doesn't. So...

NONE of this is going to make anyone on this board happy. That's a given. Don't expect it. But remember, their side is being pulled to the left just as we're trying to pull ours to the right. The left is very upset that they're not going to get an AWB, nor even UBCs. Neither base will be happy with this. It'll pass, it won't do much, and it'll piss off both sides.

That's what makes it a compromise. All compromises piss off both sides.

ETA: You can even see this on the CNN website right now. "3 Reforms Left Out Of the Reform Deal" is the top headline. They're not focusing on what they're "getting;" they're laser-focused on what they're not "getting."

Last edited:
All federal legislation dealing with enumerated rights ought to be similarly sunsetted. If it's working, and not inhibiting freedoms, great, give it another year or two or five or whatever. But if not? It goes away.
This is a great idea, and something someone needs to get into this legislation RIGHT NOW!

...what's a "steak picnic?"

AFAF.
Uh, a picnic where you eat steak?
That needs to be tenderized by whacking it
with something; say, like the scope from
someone's temporarily confiscated target rifle.

Easy solution - not applying juvenile record purging to cases moved to adult court.
Meanwhile, the real delinquents aren't even charged,
because school-to-prison pipeline.

Does the judge advise the defendant as to the lifelong consequences of pleading guilty?
Considering how bad a job crap generic criminal lawyers do on gun cases,
why expect the judge to be any more competent?

Are there any ex-post-facto issues associated with increasing the adverse consequences of a conviction or guilty plea by using records the defendant was told were totally sealed or expunged at age of majority. Implementation of the Lautenberg amendment would suggest the answer is no.
Don't be surprised if there's literal case law on the issue out there somewhere.

I think there are ways to design a system with safeguards in it that work well for both sides, but the problems are four-fold:

1- Nobody wants to pay for it (to do this properly will cost a lot of money, AKA the american skinflint conundrum, although we seem to skip that problem when bailing out negligent borrowers or bombing brown people, but I digress)
Cost may not end up being an issue by the time the medium-term rolls around.
Because of how we're told that 98% of the homeless are some mix of addicts
and the mentally ill. If jurisdictions take a deep breath and start treating their
homeless population, caring for a few more potential mass shooters
will just be a drop in the bucket.

Bootstrapping the mental health system up to those levels of capacity
ain't happening in the short term. But some places may make the leap,
because it's the only compassionate solution.

I'm hoping the left dumpster fire rages hot enough to cause this 'deal' to blow up.

Either that or Mitch McTurtle pulls out the Epstein Island blackmail file.
People don't realize how delicate the balance of power is this term.

Feinstein could stroke out at 3:00AM tonight,
and suddenly this hot mess lands in the Turtle's lap
when he least expects it.

Cool!! Looks like the Repubs want to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory again!!! I'd ask if these morons can be this stupid to agree to pass gun control mere months before an election where they're expected to clean up, but I know the answer to that already. Fools
Is it too late in the calendar to primary GOP senators that were running unopposed?
Otherwise in the red states some of those cucks may be in for a surprise.

Constitutionally, I'd be surprised if the Feds even could order states to unseal their juvie records. ...
As if the Feds don't have the balls to include a waiver on the 4473
granting access to all juvenile records of the purchaser.

Of course, the negotiation will be “conditioned” by the NYSRPA vs Bruen SCOTUS ruling, which will merely anger or more likely enrage the Democrats, depending on the scope. That will give them the “right” to demand more extensive and stricter legislation under the negotiated categories, which will give the GOP reason to call foul. Pelosi could then allow poison-pill amendments (AWB & magazine bans) that are unacceptable to the GOP and the whole thing gets tabled again.

Either way, the GOP has already indicated those billions for mental health and school safety will come from other budget cuts, which could be driven to be very punitive in nature from the Democrat perspective, further dragging negotiations down. While most school safety provisions from the hardware and SRO side could actually be useful, billions spent on mental health by the USG are just grains of sand sprinkled in a bottomless rat hole.

Democrats are all about punishing GOP for Trump - that hasn’t changed. Dead children are just the excuse.

Of course, the negotiation will be “conditioned” by the NYSRPA vs Bruen SCOTUS ruling, which will merely anger or more likely enrage the Democrats, depending on the scope. That will give them the “right” to demand more extensive and stricter legislation under the negotiated categories, which will give the GOP reason to call foul. Pelosi could then allow poison-pill amendments (AWB & magazine bans) that are unacceptable to the GOP and the whole thing gets tabled again.

Either way, the GOP has already indicated those billions for mental health and school safety will come from other budget cuts, which could be driven to be very punitive in nature from the Democrat perspective, further dragging negotiations down. While most school safety provisions from the hardware and SRO side could actually be useful, billions spent on mental health by the USG are just grains of sand sprinkled in a bottomless rat hole.

Democrats are all about punishing GOP for Trump - that hasn’t changed. Dead children are just the excuse.
Democrats are punishing the entire country because of Trump.

I too am interested to see what SCOTUS rules and when. After the botched Kavanaugh assassination, I expect there to be more urgency among the majority opinion to release the rulings and I think they understand to do them earlier in the week and not later where the outrage will fuel a Floyd like weekend reaction.

IDK, I get a feeling the NY case ruling is coming out today, the first Monday after the weekend anti gun protests across the country.

Some states may actually, for real, "expunge" juvenile records after adulthood, making them non-discoverable in a database search. If that is the case, I wonder if the feds will start banning absolute expungement and require the MA style of the penetrable seal which only protects the records from most non-LE viewers.

Rex flag laws should be an instant detain (not arrest) by cops, immediately transfer to a hearing WITH their accuser in attendance. It should be decided same day. Gun owner should have the option as to where their firearms go if they lose.
Attorneys- gotta figure that out unless you got one on a retainer that can show up on short notice.
Accuser has to pay attorney and storage fees if they lose

Some states may actually, for real, "expunge" juvenile records after adulthood, making them non-discoverable in a database search. If that is the case, I wonder if the feds will start banning absolute expungement and require the MA style of the penetrable seal which only protects the records from most non-LE viewers.
A lot of kids do stupid shit when young that wasn’t a crime when I was growing up, or at least the cops wouldn’t arrest and book you. They just hauled you to the station, called your parents and they came and got you with the expectation you’d get walloped - a crime now too that justified a NICS denial.

WIll ATF come after 18-21 year olds that are denied on a NICS? Will they notify local LE? Will they notify colleges? Will they change the 4473 to notify people that expunged juvenile records must be disclosed as arrests? Is a suspension from school for behavioral issues an involuntary adjudication by in loco parentis judges (school administrators)?

Motivated killers find guns.

The Left is convinced that the 5+ million new “lawful” gun owners 2019-2021, who became 1st time gun owners when buying a gun via a NICS background check, are culpable for the 30% increase in murder during that period. That in itself tips their hand - it’s not a NICS UBC that matters to them - it’s the part about owning a gun that they don’t like about gun owners. But we know, if they take our guns away, they still won’t like us.

Meh. PTSD rates usually trend at about 4-6% globally, regardless of what population you're talking about, and the military rate is estimated at around 12-15%. Sure, that's triple the global rate, and that's an issue, but it still means 85 out of every 100 deployed soldiers are well-adjusted enough to avoid symptoms.

I was in a warzone myself, and saw some pretty horrific stuff. It's never stuck with me. Heck, I saw pretty gruesome shit even at Ft Bragg; I remember it, but it doesn't trigger any kind of PTSD. I'm sure not everyone is like me, but not everyone is like you, either.
According to the VA, it's as high as 35%.

Also, throw in the mix of how many people don't want to be treated for it due to stigma, so the number is probably even higher. I've never been treated for it or even asked anything official for the same reason.

I think the enhanced BGC would open up juvie records for the check. Something like that.

There's something else in there about the FFL system, but that's the part I wasn't paying attention to.

The government doesn't want that. They never have. They want free and unfettered access to health care data from everyone so they start with people who have no voice, children. They've been wanting this data since 9/11. Once they have it they roll it into background checks.

NICS: "Look at this guy he's been to the dentist 7 times in a row. Maybe he's mad at the dentist". DENY
NICS: "How many visits to see a shrink are enough for a denial? One? Okay thanks" DENY
NICS: "This guy has cancer, the prognonsis is grim" DENY
NICS: "He look this guy went to a shrink for sexual reasons. Let read the gory details in the cafe over lunch, laugh our a**es off and send the deny later in the day" DENY

It's kids today it's everyone tomorrow. Back door gun control is all this monstrosity is. Oh yeah where's the NRA in all of this? Are they all too busy kissing LaPierre's ass right now?

According to the VA, it's as high as 35%.

Also, throw in the mix of how many people don't want to be treated for it due to stigma, so the number is probably even higher. I've never been treated for it or even asked anything official for the same reason.

We can duel with stats all day.

Point being, plenty of people see terrible stuff and DON'T get PTSD. If you think about evolution, and the horrible stuff our ancestors had to see and cope with and persevere in spite of? It makes more sense to me that the number of people who DO get debilitated by life's traumas is much lower than the number of people who don't. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom