• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MREs

does anyone know where I can purchase MREs that are as close to mil spec as possible? I know the mil spec ones are no longer sold as surplus, but am not impressed with the "civilian" selection. your input would be apreciated.

Cheaper than dirt usually has some. You will also want something than just MRE to have on hand.
Our son who just came back from the sandbox, DOES NOT want to see one anytime soon. He's not looking forward to his 2 week AT.
Told him not to worry will have him stocked on Chef boy ardee, ramen and various other things.[wink]

When Glenn and I were in we had the first generation MRE.... Alan says that some of them today are better than that. I too this day will have to be very desperate in order to eat one. I would take C-rats over an MRE.[laugh]
If it's the only thing you have and your starving you'll eat it.[laugh]
I have other things stocked instead.

It's all about taste... for us anyway.

Milsurps 4 Me said:
I've heard from quite a few people that canned food is better than MREs. Any back up on this and why?

We've got canned goods for long term, Mountain House freeze dried in the BOB's. The latter tends to be a tad pricy but they taste better. (A lot better !)

MrsWildweasel said:
When Glenn and I were in we had the first generation MRE.... Alan says that some of them today are better than that. I too this day will have to be very desperate in order to eat one. I would take C-rats over an MRE.
If it's the only thing you have and your starving you'll eat it.

C-rats, now you're taking be back... Heavy & bulky but a gourmet dish compared to some of the MRE's I've had.

I tried to get MrsTwigg to sample some MRE's back when we first met. After the first few bites she refused to sample anything from a pouch, same for my son. They'd probably eat them if they were starving but everybody seems to prefer the M.H. freeze dried stuff over the MRE's.

We use the canned goods for because they are much more familiar to everyone. I get a few extra every week and rotate everything from storage to the pantry. There was a time about seven years ago that both my wife & I were in between regular employment for about seven months. Having several months of canned goods and full freezer helped quite a bit.

Taste being completly subjective & all... Ever try to get a kid to eat MRE's ?

Wouldn't even want to try getting a kid to eat an MRE![shocked] [laugh] Shoot bad enough for an adult sometimes. Like Isaid I would eat C-rats before an MRE.[shocked]

MRE's are not that bad! The newer ones are actually pretty tasty!

For the closest to military ones I have found try the MRE DEPOT
Now, something REAL nice about the MRE Depot, is until the end of the year, you can get %20 off your entire purchase!
Just enter this promotion code, and watch the case price go down to $47!
PROMOTION CODE: fluwikie

Enjoy!

Many years ago a friend of mine would bring MRE's in for lunch. His wife was in the Army Reserve and would bring them home for him - What can I say, Jeff LIKED them. Kind of weird, too... his wife is one of the best cooks I know. [rolleyes]

Actually the other hot sauce and bbq sauce that was sent to Alan. Plus that's not enough tabasco sauce to do it any justice.[laugh]

Call me strange... But I used to take them into school for lunch sometimes. My mother could get them at the commissary for next to nothing, and for anyone who comes from an enlisted family knows, money is TIGHT, and sometimes you just have to do what you have to do!

I actually don't mind them that much. I ate one of the beef stew entrées a couple weeks ago just because I wanted to. I would almost bet, the they are Dinty More!

When I was in the Boy Scouts on Fort Devens we used to get the squad size trays for camp outs. They were pretty good; each patrol would get to choose what they wanted for entrees and desert. Me being the Quarter Master and Cook, I always got the last word on who got the ever so prized pound cake tray.

Ahhhh, the best part of being in the Navy is the 4 squares they served each day. Good stuff to. Real eggs, steak every month or so, real milk, hell they even had a hot dog hut on the carrier I was on in case you didn't want to eat a big dinner. [wink]

As to MRE's I actually have 3 cases as part of bug in plan. I have other stuff as well, but they are a key staple. I've had a few and they were not bad. I've definitely had worse meals. I think it was chicken supreme and the other was beef stew. Not bad at all.

I bought my through ebay several months ago. If you buy from there make sure you get all the dates on the box as some sellers are selling old ones that don't have much time left.

Last edited:
When Glenn and I were in we had the first generation MRE.... Alan says that some of them today are better than that. I too this day will have to be very desperate in order to eat one. I would take C-rats over an MRE.[laugh]
If it's the only thing you have and your starving you'll eat it.[laugh]

Yup, had the 1st Gen MRE's also. I think I am the only person who ever liked the pork and beef "patties"!

GIs these days have it so much better. Heaters, Tabasco sauce and other goodies.

I remember using trip wire to tie my meatball and BBQ sauce packet to the exhaust manifold of my jeep just so I could have a hot meal in the field.

GIs these days have it so much better. Heaters, Tabasco sauce and other goodies.

I remember using trip wire to tie my meatball and BBQ sauce packet to the exhaust manifold of my jeep just so I could have a hot meal in the field.

Let me guess you had to walk 5 miles in 3 feet of snow both ways to the truck just to get the MREs too? [rofl]

Major surplus and Survival
MRE Deluxe Meals With Heaters (Case of 12)
$86.95

http://www.majorsurplusnsurvival.co...v?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=MSS&Category_Code=16

096207.jpg

I bought my through ebay several months ago. If you buy from there make sure you get all the dates on the box as some sellers are selling old ones that don't have much time left.

Remember, the date on the MRE's is only an inspect by date, not an expiration date!

That being said, Natick labs recently ran some tests on outdated MRE's. What they found, is that even as much as 15 years PAST the expected lifetime on properly stored MRE's is that while the food changed a bit in color and texture, and most of the nutritional values of the food was gone, it was still consumable. While they would not have given you the nutrients, they still filled your belly, and gave you calories.

Back
Top Bottom