• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MREs

In what way? If you looking for short-term there's still plenty of non perishables in the supermarket. With the wise you get the same results for 10 times the money.

I’m looking for something that I could store long term that could provide a week or two of food. Preferably something not full of salt.

Any prepared meals will be full of sodium. If you are trying to go low sodium you better off buying a number 10 can of strictly ground beef and making your own meals with other ingredients

Nope I take that back just went downstairs and looked. Even the mountain House freeze dried beef has quite a bit of sodium. IMG_20200314_221159576.jpg

Nevermind folks. I knew I shouldn’t have asked in the pants shitter forum. I’ll do my own research

Nevermind folks. I knew I shouldn’t have asked in the pants shitter forum. I’ll do my own research
Dude.....your initial post asked about a brand of mre for short term storage. You got an answer.....MREs suck for short term storage cuz they are 10x the price of shit you can buy at the grocery store that'll do for short term.

Then you came back and asked about a long term storage and less salt.....and got a reply with solid info. Then bitch cuz your not getting the answers you want.
Eh?!?!

What is it you actually want to know? Cuz some of us certainly dont know at this point.

Dude.....your initial post asked about a brand of mre for short term storage. You got an answer.....MREs suck for short term storage cuz they are 10x the price of shit you can buy at the grocery store that'll do for short term.

Then you came back and asked about a long term storage and less salt.....and got a reply with solid info. Then bitch cuz your not getting the answers you want.
Eh?!?!

What is it you actually want to know? Cuz some of us certainly dont know at this point.

[rofl][rofl][laugh2]

read labels. two almost identical cans or boxes or whatever may vary cosiderably. at my supermarket, i found a jar of peanut butter called "Simply Jif." it has about a third of the salt of regular and tastes great. If your market has a natural/organic/health food section, (most do)start there, Many "diet" meals are lower in fat and salt.The other posters are right-for short term, make some extra from evry meal you're cooking anyway, and freeze in individual portions labeled and dated. That way, you have things that you like, and you know what's in it. For any restricted diet, nothing beats homemade. Low sodium beef and chicken broth are great things to keep on hand. Dry pasta. plain rice, etc. I can tomatos during garden season, augmenting what i grow by buying from local farm stands. Add a little spice, but no salt. process according to directions, and make sure to date each jar by month and year. I have fresh, no salt spaghetti sauce whenever i want it. rotate carefully chosen supermarket items for short term. Actual long term is another story. I would still buy "basic" plain items and make my own creations. More work than buying a bunch of MRE's, but probably healthier. Have some of both if you like. Hope thisb helps

Back
Top Bottom