MRA Falling Steel Match

MRA in woburn will have a 25 falling steel match on the 1st Sunday of the month through April 2011. Next scheduled match is Sunday Feb. 6.
Setup is at 12:30, with 1st shots at 1pm.
Center fire pistols, no magnum calibers please. Bring 100+ rounds, and at least 4 magazines. 10 round limit in all mags. No holsters required, everything is off the table.
Any questions can be emailed to Rich at [email protected]

Classes included stock auto,open auto. If we get enough revolver shooters (5 per class) we will have open revo and stock revo.
It is $5 per entered gun, however if the turn out is large, the match director may limit each shooter to one gun. We only have access to one indoor range.

No CMJ (completemetal jacket or "ball") For those who are USPSA shooters, please reserve your major ammo forthe USPSA matches :-0

OH NO ! ! ! ! [shocked][sad][shocked]
Now everyone knows about the MRA steel shoots [crying]

But really folks, unless you like shooting lots of ammo as fast as you possibly can at all
sorts of knock-down/knock-over/knock-off targets and can handle the adrenalin rush
that comes with it in a heated & (recently upgraded I hear) ventilated indoor range then
maybe you just better stay home [smile]

hehehehehehe

Sounds HORRIBLE. I'll bet its a lousy bunch of guys too. ;)

OH NO ! ! ! ! [shocked][sad][shocked]
Now everyone knows about the MRA steel shoots [crying]

But really folks, unless you like shooting lots of ammo as fast as you possibly can at all
sorts of knock-down/knock-over/knock-off targets and can handle the adrenalin rush
that comes with it in a heated & (recently upgraded I hear) ventilated indoor range then
maybe you just better stay home [smile]

hehehehehehe

Do you have to be a member to come and play? (I assume no because this is posted in the open without mention of it?)

Anyone can come out and play. We will be there until we are done [smile]
Of course if you want to watch that football game, you may miss kick off[wink]

Sorry, I"m confused, CMJ is NOT ok, but FMJ is OK?

I have some federal 9mm 115 grain fmj's and could bring my P226 out, but I'm not sure if the Fed. FMJ is ok.

I don't get this either. I won't be able to attend due to a scheduling conflict, but I don't understand why CMJ is banned. Everything I load is with CMJ, and I've pounded steel with those bullets for years in 9mm, with no splash or other adverse affects. A year or so ago, I -used- them at one of these matches, but I was not aware at the time that they were "banned".

-Mike

Mostly it is "ball" ammo that is the problem. Most commercially available FMJ's have exposed lead in the back which allows the bullet to disinegrate (Spelling). We have seen completed jacketed bullets bounce off the steel, which is a problem.

Mostly it is "ball" ammo that is the problem. Most commercially available FMJ's have exposed lead in the back which allows the bullet to disinegrate (Spelling). We have seen completed jacketed bullets bounce off the steel, which is a problem.

Thanks. Glad someone else asked because I was confused too and didn't want to seem 'stupid' not knowing the difference between CMJ and FMJ. But........I guess the only stupid question is the one not asked.

I'm confused. What is typically referred to as "ball" ammo is FMJ. And all FMJ has exposed lead on the back.

Whatever. All I load these days is plated ammo, so I'll have to pass.

I'm confused. What is typically referred to as "ball" ammo is FMJ. And all FMJ has exposed lead on the back.

Whatever. All I load these days is plated ammo, so I'll have to pass.

Yeah- I thought ball ammo was simple "live small-arms ammunition" more often than not- round nose. I'd have to imagine that plated would be fine though as there is no jacket... maybe I'm wrong. Plated bullets behave similar to lead when impacting steel. ANY jacketed ammo can actually come back while shooting steel... and it usually is just the jacket most of the time... thank goodness!

Yup reduced power plated bullets IMO are ideal for steel.
The only issues we have had in the past is with TMJ bullets. Total metal jacketed bullets or completely encased jacketed bullets.
Well that's what eye protection is for. Jacket ricochets are common. Semi jacket, FMJ, hollow point jacket fragments come back frequently.
If your standing in the wrong spot at the wrong time it usually just amounts to a quick little sting to the cheek or neck.

I find I get hit a lot more shooting pins than steel. The bounce backs on pins can hurt if you catch them just right. I took one as a spectator one night when I was 60' from pin. Was wearing a t-shirt and it hit just right that it hit bone. That one stung.

I have been shooting montana golds and berry's for past year. No issues on steel.

Back
Top Bottom