Moving to Mass.

I'm in the same boat. I might have to move to Ma. because of love and money. My long suffering girl friend lives there and wants me to move closer. 15 years of commuting is taking it's toll. I'm also a recently minted librarian, looking to work in an academic library and Ma. has a college on every street corner.
I don't think my GF would appreciate it if I told her I wouldn't move closer because I didn't want to leave my guns.
Right now my choices are,
1. Suck it up. Move to a shall issue town.
2. Move to a Ct. or New Hampshire border town and find work near there.
We'll see.

Andy

Well, I might be getting a job at UMass Boston. Librarian jobs are tough to get right now, so I might not have a choice.
I going to see how long of a commute it would be from New Hampshire, but it's not looking good gun wise.

Andy

Note that you could not lawfully carry on campus w/o authorization from the school.

Good luck with that.

Well, I might be getting a job at UMass Boston. Librarian jobs are tough to get right now, so I might not have a choice.
I going to see how long of a commute it would be from New Hampshire, but it's not looking good gun wise.
It would be quite a long commute from Boston. Worse from CT.

I already live in and have a Ct. permit, sorry I should of mentioned that.

Andy

FYI, if you have a CT state permit to carry, if you move out of CT it will still be valid as a non-resident permit, you just have to change your address.

FYI, if you have a CT state permit to carry, if you move out of CT it will still be valid as a non-resident permit, you just have to change your address.

Well that's good to know. Can you buy in a state where you have a non-resident permit?

Andy

Well that's good to know. Can you buy in a state where you have a non-resident permit?

Andy

Per Federal law (C&R transactions aside), handguns can only be purchased in, or transferred through a FFL in, your state of residence. Long guns can be purchased in another state, but only from a FFL.

Last edited:
Since I'm still in Ct. and drive to Ma. every other weekend to visit my girl friend, I'm applying for a non-resident permit. Now, when and if I get the permit,in case I do end up moving to Ma. does having a non-resident permit help with getting a regular permit? Or is it you just have tlo start all over again?

Andy

does having a non-resident permit help with getting a regular permit? Or is it you just have tlo start all over again?

Possibly and Yes.

NR permits are issued by CHSB; resident permits are issued by the chief of whatever city or town you live or own a business it.

Two different authorities; two different procedures using two different standards.

You should NOT have to repeat the course to get the resident LTC, although a few chiefs may insist on it.

Just a SWAG, but if they store your prints so that they can find them (big If!) then you shouldn't need another set of prints.

Otherwise, every application/renewal is dealt with as if it was a first-time applicant, with whatever permutations your local chief decides to throw into the works to determine "suitability" and "proper purpose".

You should NOT have to repeat the course to get the resident LTC, although a few chiefs may insist on it.

Just a SWAG, but if they store your prints so that they can find them (big If!) then you shouldn't need another set of prints.

Otherwise, every application/renewal is dealt with as if it was a first-time applicant, with whatever permutations your local chief decides to throw into the works to determine "suitability" and "proper purpose".

I read you have to take the NRA Basic with a MA certified instructor to even apply for a non-resident permit.
Andy

I read you have to take the NRA Basic with a MA certified instructor to even apply for a non-resident permit.
Andy

For a first-time MA applicant (even NRs) you do need to take a course. There are ~10+ different courses authorized for that purpose. Instructor MUST be a MA SP Certified Instructor. For renewals, no additional courses are required.

Back
Top Bottom