Moving to Cambridge how to handle permit....

I am moving to Cambridge...

I know, it's one of the stupidest places to move if I am a firearms proponent but it has to be done for my company. I am wondering when moving the mayor can pull your permit can't he? How do you notify the state, do you have to? Also for reasons for my company I am wondering if I can leave my permanent address as my south shore address and move up there for temporary housing....I don't exactly know how to handle this and I know I will need to talk to a lawyer to make sure everything is kosher but I wanted to get your input just to start getting an Idea of what to do. Also I most likely wont be in Cambridge in a year.

Why not move to Arlington or Belmont - some place that's more gun-friendly?

the Mayor has nothing to do with your permit; only the COP. You MUST notify the state within 30 days. When is your current permit up? If you'll be out of the PRC before it's up, you're safe, as far as I know.

As always, IANAL, nor do I play one on NES. You REALLY ought to drop a few bucks and talk to Cross-X, Scrivener or jcohen. Like now.

Seriously.

I am wondering when moving the mayor can pull your permit can't he? How do you notify the state, do you have to?

How can a supposed Mass resident/gun owner be THAT uninformed? This issue is posted on the GOAL site, addressed MONTHLY in The Outdoor Message and about as frequently here.

As it appears the recently-arrived OP made absolutely no effort to look, I will provide the info he expects us to give him:

C. 140, § 131 (l)

The executive director of the criminal history systems board shall send by first class mail to the holder of each such license to carry firearms, a notice of the expiration of such license not less than 90 days prior to such expiration and shall enclose therein a form for the renewal of such license. The taking of fingerprints shall not be required in issuing the renewal of a license if the renewal applicant's fingerprints are on file with the department of the state police. Any licensee shall notify, in writing, the licensing authority who issued said license, the chief of police into whose jurisdiction the licensee moves and the executive director of the criminal history systems board of any change of address. Such notification shall be made by certified mail within 30 days of its occurrence. Failure to so notify shall be cause for revocation or suspension of said license.

I'll even provide the link for a form!

http://www.goal.org/misc/faq/addresschange.pdf

Last edited:
Any licensee shall notify, in writing, the licensing authority who issued said license, the chief of police into whose jurisdiction the licensee moves and the executive director of the criminal history systems board of any change of address. Such notification shall be made by certified mail within 30 days of its occurrence.

In other words you're screwed [frown]

I saw move somewhere better and deal with a commute. My dearest wife spend 2+ hours in the car every day just for the privilige of living somewhere nice (and every time I buy a gun not allowed in MA, or order ammo online I thank her for her sacrifice)

IMO I agree with Dwarven on this. The hell with PRC. Just move into
Arlington instead. It's not like the rent, etc, is really going to be all
that much different. (neither is cheap). The PD in arlington is relatively
2A friendly, compared with other PDs in the boston/suburbs.

-Mike

Scrivener you don't need to be a prick about it. I mistyped mayor for the chief of police. This is a message board, I merely came over to shoot the breeze about this item with some people over here who may have had the same thing go on with them and to see what they thought. I noticed everyone else had advice and I thank you guys for your ideas and opinions. I have done plenty of homework when it comes to gun law and I merely wanted to chew that fat about this with the guys.

Dwarven I agree. To hell with the PRC.

This is a message board, I merely came over to shoot the breeze about this item with some people over here who may have had the same thing go on with them and to see what they thought.

First error - in THIS post. This is NOT a "message board." This is an informational forum. If you want to "chew the fat," stick with your blog on myspace.com.

I noticed everyone else had advice and I thank you guys for your ideas and opinions.

Second error of this post. I provided you with the statute AND the notice form, neither of which you were capable of finding by yourself.

I have done plenty of homework when it comes to gun law and I merely wanted to chew that fat about this with the guys.

Had you actually done ANY homework, you would have KNOWN:

1. That you were required to give notice;

2. Who you were required to give that notice to; and

3. How to do so.

Three strikes; you're out. [slap]

Scrivener... I hope to meet you in person some day, really. I can't figure out if you're just ruthless or are very, very factual or have very, very dry humor... or... hell I can't figure it out. Maybe that works to your advantage in your line of work.

Scrivener... I hope to meet you in person some day, really. I can't figure out if you're just ruthless or are very, very factual or have very, very dry humor... or... hell I can't figure it out. Maybe that works to your advantage in your line of work.

Actually, it's all of the above. Not to mention little patience for the inert and obtuse.

And yes, it does. [wink]

Actually, it's all of the above. Not to mention little patience for the inert and obtuse.

And yes, it does. [wink]

Just wondering... has your ruthlessness, dry sense of humor and/or your lack of patience for the inert and obtuse ever resulted in a contempt of court charge?

[laugh2]

On a serious note, one learns quickly to keep a civil tongue and proper decorum in a courtroom. Judges don't have a sense of humor when they are sitting on the bench. Outside the courtroom is a whole another story, as they are just people like everyone else at that point.

Yeah, make it Arlington. It's usally cheaper in rent than Cambridge, and the COP will issue ALP permits.

Belmont won't [sad] found that out the hard way. I'm not moving into another gun-unfriendly town EVER again!

-Weer'd Beard

Lug, very, very few lawyers have the game enabling them to run with Scrivener. He is one of the best gun lawyers around.

Folks here on NES would be wise to look past his tone and pay careful attention to his message.

Darius Arbabi

Thoughts on Quincy?

Please do some searching here on Quincy. Current chief was DOWNGRADING permits for damn near everyone (even life-long LTC-A/ALP holders). A lot of political heat was applied and I do not know the current status. Don Kusser (GOAL BOD) applied enormous pressure on Mayor and City Council to reign in the chief, that I do know.

I understand that they do/did require a new NRA/State certified course for EVERY RENEWAL! Told to me recently by a Quincy resident. Again don't know if this is still true or not.

Thoughts on Quincy?

Good point MarkM.

Unless things have changed....I would stay FAR away from Quincy.

My co-worker, his father-in-law was some trainer/instructor and ex-motorcycle cop on Moon Island.

Anyway, he moved to Quincy not too long ago and they restricted his LTC.

From what they have been saying, no one gets a LTC-A...

But I don't know for sure if that's changed.

Thanks LenS and C-pher. I will look into that. I don't think I am going to move my residency. I have a place in Quincy that is an office within a house. I am going to just work there and retain my residency near the cape. It will be much easier in addition to the fact that the company's address is on the cape. Thanks for the input! Damn it's a pain with this stuff in MA.

Thanks Matt. I had checked that out a couple weeks ago but hadn't seen the map. It really is a pain in the ass that that thread even needs to exsist. The map really puts it into perspective.

I moved into Cambridge from Arlington with my ALP Class A. I went through the notification process and no one has come knocking on my door about it in the two years I've lived here. Renewal will be a whole other issue though....

I moved into Cambridge from Arlington with my ALP Class A. I went through the notification process and no one has come knocking on my door about it in the two years I've lived here. Renewal will be a whole other issue though....

As Cambridge did not issue the license, it has no authority to revoke it.

As you noted, RENEWAL will be the challenge.

Back
Top Bottom