Moving to another state

Can anyone sum up how an NH resident moves to another state with an existing gun collection? I know selling out of state requires a FTF. Does every gun have to be transferred?

I'm not moving, just wondering....

What state? If you move to another free state, just pack 'em up and move 'em.

Movers will likely want to have an inventory of EVERYTHING you have... SNs included. They also will NOT move ammo/powder/primers.

If you are moving yourself, just pack them in first and hope the truck doesn't break down.... or if it does hope it breaks down in a free-state.

look up the rules of FOPA. ALso depending on the states you are in/driving through, you may run afoul to their AWB if you have post ban high caps, etc. Transport under the rules of FOPA and you *should* be ok, but then again IANAL.

Thanks guys....

One other question, How many guns can a NH resident buy and sell in a year without a license?

As many as your wallet can afford, like any other free state.

-Mike

Can anyone sum up how an NH resident moves to another state with an existing gun collection? I know selling out of state requires a FTF. Does every gun have to be transferred?

Depends on the other state. NH doesn't care. But some states like NY are a bitch to move into with guns.

The ATF won't come knocking at the door looking for a dealer's license? So what's to keep someone from buying a case of guns and turning them over?

Well, they might, but not necessarily for a dealers license. You'd better come up with an interesting explanation, though, if you buy 100 lorcin .380s
at once. [laugh]

The point I was trying to make is that there is no law that prohibits an individual from buying as many guns for their own use as they please. If you intend on reselling them, obviously there's a point at which you're not just joe gun owner and meet the qualifications of being a dealer.

-Mike

Well, they might, but not necessarily for a dealers license. You'd better come up with an interesting explanation, though, if you buy 100 lorcin .380s
at once. [laugh]

The point I was trying to make is that there is no law that prohibits an individual from buying as many guns for their own use as they please. If you intend on reselling them, obviously there's a point at which you're not just joe gun owner and meet the qualifications of being a dealer.

-Mike

Got it! Thanks Mike. I inherited some things I'm considering turning over... selling two or more lesser pieces for one nicer piece for example.

The ATF won't come knocking at the door looking for a dealer's license? So what's to keep someone from buying a case of guns and turning them over?

Well, buying like that could be considered a straw purchase if you are buying to turn over immediately.... But I bought 5 guns in one day without a problem last year, and 3 guns in one day in 2007 (that was in MA).

Right now I only have one gun I'd like to buy at a reasonable price (338 Laupa)

One other question, How many guns can a NH resident buy and sell in a year without a license?

Not trying to dig up the past here but I just found this on the NRA's "Did you Know" page...

Multiple Sales
Federal law requires a dealer to report to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and state or local law enforcement officials any sale of more than one handgun in a five-day period to an individual.

Yeap. But that applies to a single-dealer. Buy at different dealers or FTF and it doesn't apply.

True.... I never buy more than one gun at a dealer in several months but I did pick up a layaway at a local shop and buy another piece outright in March. I called it a good day now the BATF has my DNA....[rofl]

Besides, it's a good excuse to visit more gun shops....

There are no licenses to posses firearms nor firearms registration in VA, SC, or NC.

NC still has some Jim Crow laws related to the purchase of handguns. A permit to purchase a hnadgun must be obtained from the county sheriff, but IIRC it is avoided if you have a license to carry a concealed handgun. But if you move in with firearms, you need not tell anyone in government about it.

at once. [laugh]

-Mike

On that note, I believe selling multiple guns through an FFL would keep the ATF from "flaggin you as high risk" (for lack of a better term).

On that note, I believe selling multiple guns through an FFL would keep the ATF from "flaggin you as high risk" (for lack of a better term).

And just how would ATF know that I sold any guns privately? [thinking]

Remember, most everyone in the US lives in places where the private sale of firearms without any government oversight or intervention is perfectly legal.

Back
Top Bottom