Moving out of MA

Hey all I will be relocating to New Hampshire. I would like to know what do I need to do prior to the move as far as LTC's are concerned. I am not a resident of New hampshire yet. what kind of LTC do i need to apply for and how do i change my residential LTC into a non-resident LTC?

For MA:

You need to notify Issuing Authority and FRB by Certified Mail ONLY (suggest Return Receipts as well) within 30 days of your move.

There is no such thing as changing a Resident LTC to a NR LTC. You need to apply to Chelsea for the NR LTC, they will schedule an interview and based on what you tell them your specific needs are, a 1 year NR LTC will be issued with or without restrictions.

For NH:

Enjoy the freedom!

NO permits of any kind needed to own anything!

NH LTC is needed ONLY to conceal carry or carry loaded in a MV. Cost is $10 and done thru your local PD, no pictures and no prints required and they have 14 days to issue it.

Good luck!

For MA:

You need to notify Issuing Authority and FRB by Certified Mail ONLY (suggest Return Receipts as well) within 30 days of your move.

I know this is true for moving within the state, but it still applies when you leave MA for good? I didn't know that. What happens if you move to NH and not inform the PD or the FLB? Coakley sneaks into your new NH residence late at night, squats and pisses on your face? [laugh]

I know this is true for moving within the state, but it still applies when you leave MA for good? I didn't know that. What happens if you move to NH and not inform the PD or the FLB? Coakley sneaks into your new NH residence late at night, squats and pisses on your face? [laugh]

That is a pretty gross thought! I don't know if that would trip NH's SYG law or not! [wink]

On a serious note, lack of notification is statutory grounds for denial of any future MA LTC. Many folks will at some point give consideration to wanting a NR LTC and for the cost of 2 Certified Letters, it is small insurance to pay to preserve what little "privileges" that MA is willing to grant.

YMMV

Aha I see. I thought once you had completed the move, you just mailed your LTC back to the FLB with a note saying "Farewell. Good luck oppressing law abiding citizens in your future ventures."

So adding a hypothetical question...

What should be done if a former Mass resident who left the State years ago without informing the license commission and FRB ( whatever FRB stands for,...?) due to ignorance of that requirement....now years later, finds out about this requirement, as they are contemplating and researching how to apply for a non-resident Mass. permit.

Do "delayed notifications of emigration" exist ...? Would it even be worth the effort to send in a letter explaining these circumstances ?

So adding a hypothetical question...

What should be done if a former Mass resident who left the State years ago without informing the license commission and FRB ( whatever FRB stands for,...?) due to ignorance of that requirement....now years later, finds out about this requirement, as they are contemplating and researching how to apply for a non-resident Mass. permit.

Do "delayed notifications of emigration" exist ...? Would it even be worth the effort to send in a letter explaining these circumstances ?

FRB= Firearms Record Bureau.

In that situation I would just apply for the non-res LTC and shut up about the fact that you "forgot" to inform them of your move out-of-state. If they bring it up, be honest. Worse that can happen is they'll say No. Best that can happen is... well nevermind, you already live in NH. [wink]

For MA:

There is no such thing as changing a Resident LTC to a NR LTC. You need to apply to Chelsea for the NR LTC, they will schedule an interview and based on what you tell them your specific needs are, a 1 year NR LTC will be issued with or without restrictions.

What does the issuing authority and/or the FRB do in regards your resident license when you move out of state? Do they revoke it? Are you required to surrender it?

Thanks,

Bob

They administratively expire it since you are no longer eligible for it due to no longer being a MA resident. It's not a "black mark" however and it allows you to apply for a NR LTC whenever you feel the need or a resident LTC if you ever move back to MA. Failure to notify is a statutory disqualifier (not required but specifically allowed in MGL) for any future LTC/FID.

For MA:

For NH:

Enjoy the freedom!

NO permits of any kind needed to own anything!

NH LTC is needed ONLY to conceal carry or carry loaded in a MV. Cost is $10 and done thru your local PD, no pictures and no prints required and they have 14 days to issue it.

Good luck!

would you know the address for the FRB? The issuing authority would be my local PD right?

would you know the address for the FRB? The issuing authority would be my local PD right?

IA - yes, the PD which issued your LTC (might not always be your local PD if you had moved previous to this).

FRB - 200 Arlington St, Ste. 2200, Chelsea, MA 02150

Back
Top Bottom