• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moved to NH from MI work in MA

Hello All. At first I thought I was going to be living in MA after living in Michigan for 4 years, but with cost of living in MA I found a nice house to rent in NH.

In Michigan I took a state required 2 day NRA certified safety and training course in order to get my license to conceal carry. Prior to that I was an open carry allowed Michigan resident. I have a Michigan Conceal Pistol License (CCW) that expires in 2019. That allowed me to conceal carry and purchase firearms without a waiting period or background check done in store. I did have to register our firearms with local PD within 10 days of purchase.

I am legally a resident of NH and recently applied for my conceal carry in NH.
I work in MA. 8-6, M-F.

My questions are two fold.
1)Since I am no longer a Michigan resident is my Michigan Conceal Carry Permit/License Still Valid? It allows me reciprocity in New England are: NH, Maine and Vermont and 36 other states nationwide.
1A) Possession of the Michigan CCW allows me to 'transport' my hand gun in three separate locked cases (gun, empty magazines, bullets)

2) Should I apply for a Massachusetts non-resident permit?
2A) Will they issue to a NH resident working in MA?
2B) Could I apply for the MA non-resident permit with the Michigan CCW and a US Passport?

Many people have multiple CCW's in other states through out the union to cover themselves nationwide. Recent events in Paris have me reluctant to have all my firearms in NH if shyte hits the fan somewhere in MA.

Congrats to the NH move. Others will chime in and remind you of your wise choice and fill you in on the best course of action.

They should be able to issue you a non resident permit for employment hours. After a year of that people have gotten those restrictions removed, I wasnt that lucky though. It'll take 6-7 months to get it though. Send in app with $100. Wait for email back with interview date. Wait 3-4 months for interview. Wait 1-3 months for permit. Lovely right?

I'm not sure about your MI approved course, you may have to take a mass approved course. Look into that our call them. It's a long process. You don't need anything like that in nh. 2 days you have your p&r permit to ccw.

You'll have to check with MI as to the validity of your MI license after you moved out. I doubt that anyone here would know for sure.

Since you are no longer a MI resident, I doubt that NH and ME (now only a partial issue wrt some parks) will recognize your MI license since you are no longer a resident there, again I can't be sure of this but IIRC NH and ME only recognizes some license issued to residents of certain states and if that is true and you are no longer a resident, it would seem to no longer cover you.

MA will issue you a NR LTC, but you will have to take another course with a MSP Certified trainer to get the certificate required, plus a trip to Chelsea each year, $100 fee each year and it takes 5-6 months on average to get your license each year. Whether said LTC would allow you to "carry" will strongly depend on how you present your case during the interview and events in Paris or even Worcester (break-in to armory and suspect guns were stolen) will not influence their decision each year.

Unless you feel it's absolutely necessary, Massachusetts doesn't deserve your hard earned money

MA will issue you a NR LTC, but you will have to take another course with a MSP Certified trainer to get the certificate required, plus a trip to Chelsea each year, $100 fee each year and it takes 5-6 months on average to get your license each year. Whether said LTC would allow you to "carry" will strongly depend on how you present your case during the interview and events in Paris or even Worcester (break-in to armory and suspect guns were stolen) will not influence their decision each year.

Just checked and the alternates to the MSP Certified Trainer courses. The NRA Home Safety Course is what I have a certificate for.

They should be able to issue you a non resident permit for employment hours. After a year of that people have gotten those restrictions removed, I wasnt that lucky though. It'll take 6-7 months to get it though. Send in app with $100. Wait for email back with interview date. Wait 3-4 months for interview. Wait 1-3 months for permit. Lovely right?

I'm not sure about your MI approved course, you may have to take a mass approved course. Look into that our call them. It's a long process. You don't need anything like that in nh. 2 days you have your p&r permit to ccw.

I was a MA resident for 23 years 1987-2010. When I moved to Michigan and saw the freedom allowed by American citizens I was dumbfounded how the 'Commonwealth' could be so blind. It really is a communist state. Never again.

Just checked and the alternates to the MSP Certified Trainer courses. The NRA Home Safety Course is what I have a certificate for.

You need to understand that MA does NOT accept any NRA certificates. They only accept the MSP Certificate. NRA HFS qualifies for the certificate but only when taught by a MSP Certified instructor.

I was a MA resident for 23 years 1987-2010. When I moved to Michigan and saw the freedom allowed by American citizens I was dumbfounded how the 'Commonwealth' could be so blind. It really is a communist state. Never again.

If you ever had a MA LTC or FID in affect on 6/1/1998 or issued after 10/21/1998 (where you did provide a MSP Training Certificate) you won't need to take another course.

Back
Top Bottom