Move to CT or NY State

Hi All:

I have a close friend who, after nearly a decade in Texas, is finally moving back to the north east. Naturally I'm thrilled.

Said friend has become a firearms enthusiast in his time away and, being in Texas, has acquired a reasonable collection of firearms. With little time before the move (surprise offer for great job) I'm helping him parse the changes in firearms laws salient to his situation. That's why I've come to you.

He can move to NY or CT as his job is in NY about 10 minutes over the border from CT. With no strong reason to live on one side of the border or the other he asked me to throw it out to you all and say:

"If you had to choose to live under NY state laws or CT laws, which would you choose."

So, what do you think?

I'm not sure about firearms laws, but I would rather stick needles in my eyes than live in New York state, pay exhorbinant taxes, and watch it all get flushed down the Hudson. CT for sure.

Yeah. It sure seems that way from a firearms perspective as well. Basically, NY looses by default. As in, there is basically nothing firearms friendly about the state. From the AWB permanently enshired in their legal code to the same high cap restrictions and an even worse attitude...CT has the suckass AWB but at least the state doesn't seem to get too bent about magazine size for some reason. Also, the attitude seems a little more laid back. Finally, it appears to be "shall issue" but I don't know how consistent that is.

CT for sure, not even a question. Either way he may have issues with what ever he brings but CT IMO would be the less of the two evils.

I assume he'll be working in NYC?

Keep in mind that CT is the highest taxed state in the United States with Fairfield County (SW CT) being the worst. Then again, all the suburbs of NYC are going to be very expensive regardless of their location in NY, NJ, or CT.

A good place to ask this question would be the Connecticut Forum. If I remember correctly, Norwalk was one of the more affordable towns in Fairfield County.

Here's an interesting website that shows how each of CT's towns votes. Bear in mind that our "Republicans" will be more liberal than a Texas Democrat.

I assume he'll be working in NYC?

Keep in mind that CT is the highest taxed state in the United States with Fairfield County (SW CT) being the worst. Then again, all the suburbs of NYC are going to be very expensive regardless of their location in NY, NJ, or CT.

A good place to ask this question would be the Connecticut Forum. If I remember correctly, Norwalk was one of the more affordable towns in Fairfield County.

Here's an interesting website that shows how each of CT's towns votes. Bear in mind that our "Republicans" will be more liberal than a Texas Democrat.

You're not going to find anything 'cheap' w/in commuting distance to NYC whether you do CT, NJ or Rockland or Westchester counties in NY.

Thanks guys. Actually no he would be (if he chose NY) living north of the city about 45 minutes, not actually in the city. Either way, it seems CT wins hands down.

CT at least he will be able to get an LTC without the type of problem he will have in NY. The NY LTC is issued by a judge and can take longer than six months if ever, and each hand gun has to be registered to your LTC. CT gun laws are much better even if they are very prohibitive they are not as bad as NY. If your friend has any Colt AR's he will have to get rid of them before he moves into CT.

He will have no problem getting a permit to carry here...no AK's chambered in 7.62x39 either....no restrictions on mag/clip capacity or much else really..

Well licensing laws in NY outside of NYC are still no piece of cake, plus you have to list all of your firearms (not sure if it is just handguns or all guns) on the license. I would opt for Connecticut as the laws there seem much better. I would further recommend that your friend start reading the Gun Laws section of the Forum with regard to the Connecticut and New York sub-forums. This should give him a better idea.

If gun laws are his number one priority, he should choose the state that he is most comfortable with. I'd avoid NJ, too. If he doesn't mind a long commute, then Eastern PA around Delaware Water Gap might be something to consider as well. PA in general, except for Philly, is pretty gun friendly.

Mark L.

I'm not sure about firearms laws, but I would rather stick needles in my eyes than live in New York state, pay exhorbinant taxes, and watch it all get flushed down the Hudson. CT for sure.

I would rather eat glass, drink battery acid, jump in a Volcano...
I would rather <INSERT HERE> than move to NY!

ht_bloomberg_060606_sp.jpg

Just remember, Bloomberg loves you! [smile]

I dislike CT but IMO it's far less terrible than NY is WRT gun
laws.

The sole exception being CT's stupid, byzantine AW ban, but the disadvantages
of NY pretty much overshadow all of that.

IMO NY is even worse than MA is, overall.

-Mike

I'll have to disagree with some of you.

Other than handgun laws, NY comes out better than CT, for the most part. NYC is almost another state, law wise, and is out of the discussion.

CT's AWB is about the most confusing thing I've ever seen.

No, handgun wise, it's CT, all the way. Getting an ownership permit in NY is difficult at best.

Oh, and there is no license to own a long arm in upstate NY.

I happen to live about 20 miles from NY, and work gun shows there. Not as bad as you think it is, except the pistol permit part.

As to NY being worse than Mass, no. NJ and CA are arguably worse than Mass.

It depends on how much one values a CCW. If a CCW is a priority, then NY is bleeping terrible. CT is much, much better in this regard. Even MA is better than NY.

The big problem in NY is CCW fiefdoms are large geographical areas- entire counties, IIRC. So if you live in a shit -county- you're not getting an unrestricted license, whereas at least in MA you can move one or two towns
over, or possibly exploit a wallhack (own a business elsewhere) to get a license.

NY also DOES NOT have a non resident license. So if you have to commute into NY, and live in say, MA, or VT, you're simply shit out of luck. That's a huge boner to NY right there. MA's nonres license is expensive, and the term is short, but at least it exists.

MA also does not have that silly horseshit involving attaching handguns to a license. You can carry whatever
you legally own. There is no explicit requirement that whatever "that" is, be papered and accounted for.

-Mike

Mike, agreed.

CCW wise (handguns in general wise), NY is about as bad as it gets. There a couple of states that are possibly worse, but you have to think long and hard.

Rifle wise is where NY is somewhat better. The AWB is much less vague than Mass, but I still won't bring ANYTHING questionable into either Mass or CT, but NY is clear enough that I'm not worried. Again, my comfort level on it is higher than many of you, as I already do business in NY.

Back
Top Bottom