Mousegun vs Tractor Trailer

It seems the new terrorist tactic is driving large commercial vehicles through crowded places, and though it's only been in Europe it's almost certain it's coming here sooner or later.

So lets say you're out Christmas shopping this year, or at some other large gathering of people in a public place. All of a sudden, you hear screaming and the roar of a diesel engine barreling into a crowd. You're armed with your EDC, and let's just say despite the tread title you're packing something in the .380-9mm-.45-.40 class. Where do you fire to stop the threat?

Now the obvious first choice is at the driver... from some quick youtubing anything .380 and up is going to pass through the windshield pretty easily, and likely with little change in point of impact. But what if you don't have the angle to make that shot?

From what I know about large diesel engines, most handguns aren't going to do much to stop the motor. Any shot hitting from the front will pierce the intercooler/radiator, but the truck could still run for quite a while afterwords perhaps 5-10 minutes. Unless you're the guy on here who said his EDC was a .44 magnum, any common pistol round would stand no chance of penetrating the block and even a hit to the oil pan would still allow the motor to run for several minutes.

A lucky shot to the fuel system, such as the injector pump, could stop it in it's tracks even with a low powered round... but that would be something impossible to do on purpose and you would have to hit the pump itself, taking out one fuel line would leave several other cylinders functional. Same goes for anything such as a crank sensor on newer computer controlled trucks... they are small and buried deeply.

So the best thing I can think of that is left is the air system... I don't know a ton about large trucks but I know that some of the axles upon loss of air pressure will lock up the brakes... I think it's not all but just some. And the air tanks are usually visible on the side of the truck, as is the air dryer which is often plastic and could be broken even by a 22.

Any CDL holders on here who can shed a little more light on the subject?

Get out of the way, 80,000 lbs.has a lot of momentum. Even If you can take several air tanks out, the truck will take a long distance to stop depending on speed.
I have a CDL and you cant stop an 80,000 lbs truck with a hand gun quickly.

Last edited:
And dumbest thread of the year goes to... Also bonus points for saying "packing."

JFC we're talking about spotting an out of control truck, being able to identify the model and weak point, then shoot at this moving target that's plowing through a crowd of people to disable it?

Mac truck ain't gunna stop short of a tank round and even then it may not. Physics is your friend get out of the way is pretty much your only hope of living. If you do live and it stops bury the dude driving it for good measure

And dumbest thread of the year goes to... Also bonus points for saying "packing."

JFC we're talking about spotting an out of control truck, being able to identify the model and weak point, then shoot at this moving target that's plowing through a crowd of people to disable it?

Holy crap dude, it's just a "thought experiment". There's been a million dumb threads on here taking up space about every obscure carry scenario, but I bet there's never been one about this.

And as for some of the other posts, I'm not talking about saving your own life... obviously if you have enough time to shoot you have enough time to get out of the way. I'm just talking about disabling the vehicle to prevent it from harming others.

During the Nice attack, the truck drove for over a mile mowing people down. A well placed couple of rounds could have made that a half a mile or a quarter mile.

Last edited:
Holy crap dude, it's just a "thought experiment". There's been a million dumb threads on here taking up space about every obscure carry scenario, but I bet there's never been one about this.

And as for some of the other posts, I'm not talking about saving your own life... obviously if you have enough time to shoot you have enough time to get out of the way. I'm just talking about disabling the vehicle to prevent it from harming others.

During the Nice attack, the truck drove for over a mile mowing people down. A well placed couple of rounds could have made that a half a mile or a quarter mile.

Too many variables to consider here other than maybe trying to shoot one of the front tires out (other than the driver), which might cause the truck to serve and smack into something. I'm going to guess that distance is also a factor. If you are very close to the event, most likely it will be over before you even realize what happened.

50 BMG to the block.
Stops everything.
What? You don't EDC a 50? Lightweight!

Disabling the tractor with a lucky shot won't do much. That machine will roll on until it hits a very large obstacle, especially if the trailer is loaded. Save your ammo in case the driver gets out and starts slashing or shooting. Or worse, the trailer doors fly open and you realize that the truck is a just a trojan horse for a whole flock of durka-durkas that scatter into the crowd and let 'er rip.

50 BMG to the block.
Stops everything.
What? You don't EDC a 50? Lightweight!

Wont stop the truck just the engine.

- - - Updated - - -

Disabling the tractor with a lucky shot won't do much. That machine will roll on until it hits a very large obstacle, especially if the trailer is loaded. Save your ammo in case the driver gets out and starts slashing or shooting. Or worse, the trailer doors fly open and you realize that the truck is a just a trojan horse for a whole flock of durka-durkas that scatter into the crowd and let 'er rip.

+1

Time to get that 50 BMG revolver to CC when going to where there will be a large gathering. Or maybe complete my planned AR10 pistol build. [smile] Not a problem in NH... Of course, being in NH, there's a much larger chance of LOTS of rounds being directed at the truck and driver.

Wont stop the truck just the engine.

First round into the engine, second one thru the driver, third to the front tire(s). Reload and keep firing. [rofl2]

Of course, you'll probably be completely deaf by the time you're done. As will everyone around you.

Last edited:
Get out of the way. Get your loved ones out of the way. Start treating victims. You'll save actual lives.

Again, the Nice attack lasted for over a mile... no truck's gonna roll that far.

We already had this discussion, to the tune of several pages, back when those folks got run over in Nice this past summer. As I recall, it went full retard very rapidly.

Your thread seems to be experiencing a similar phenomenon.

here's what I apparently posted in that thread on the afternoon of 15 July, and I'd be hard pressed to improve on it now. .357 was the suggestion then from another poster.

Seems to me that the best caliber to prevent a truck from killing you is a 13. Like, Size 13. Like, my shoe size as I sprint toward something that'll save my life.
Don't fool yourselves. If you think you possess the cajones to calmly usher your family to safety, then draw your .357 (really?), square up against a truck moving at 25mph, drop the driver or blow up the engine with a series of well-placed shots, then predict in which direction the truck will go before it loses momentum and neatly avoid it... Well, you've seen far too many movies.

The best you can do against a suicide truck? SItuational awareness and a very stout barrier wall nearby. Then, run your ass off to get behind that wall when the time comes.

Last edited:
We already had this discussion, to the tune of several pages, back when those folks got run over in Nice this past summer. As I recall, it went full retard very rapidly.

Your thread seems to be experiencing a similar phenomenon.

tumblr_lnmyj2G6a41qmnnibo1_400.gif

Think about this, an 80,000 lbs truck with a driver that is willing to die. Get to target, get the truck going as fast as possible and set cruise control. No hand guns or rifles will change anything. Firing at it is feel good crap.

Where do you fire to stop the threat?

At who ever is in front of you, running too slowly.

You could hit it with a .50, and if it is doing 40mph, even if it bursts into flames, it is going to keep rolling a long long way.

Think about this, an 80,000 lbs truck with a driver that is willing to die. Get to target, get the truck going as fast as possible and set cruise control. No hand guns or rifles will change anything. Firing at it is feel good crap.

That's not what happened at Nice. He stopped and thought about it first at the entrance of the road, and started slowly. Watch this video from the beginning of the attack.

It appears police had a chance to run up and get a couple of shots off, to no effect. Hence my creating a thread so that maybe if anyone here were ever in that scenario, they may have better luck.

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/french-truck-attack-captured-on-social-media-725589059901

Last edited:
It is in the manual. What you want to do is take off your sock, and make a quick pipe bomb. Then coat it in axle grease and put it on the tracks.... Oh wait, that was Saving Private Ryan.

Seriously, if you can't get a shot at the driver, it is like shooting a bb gun at a freight train. Just run like hell.

It appears police had a chance to run up and get a couple of shots off, to no effect. Hence my creating a thread so that maybe if anyone here were ever in that scenario, they may have better luck.

Better luck doing what?

Are you saying that the Froggie cops and/or you would have or should have shot the dude before he'd started hitting people with the truck? Like, preemptively? Good luck with that in court.

So, like, we should be arbitrarily capping truck drivers whenever they rev an engine? You need to get real here, dude.

Get behind this fence. You don't even want to know how much it costs.

Check out this video. They used this fence around a certain bio hazard lab in Boston.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta love an active imagination:

Scenario 1) rhombus shoots truck driver - driver lives had medical incident at wheel - Maura puts rhombus in jail for life

Scenario 2) rhombus shoots truck driver - driver lives, trucks brakes failed due to poor maintenance by trucking company - Maura puts rhombus in jail for life

Scenario 3) rhombus shoots truck driver - driver lives saw man with handgun tried to run him down in self defense - Maura puts rhombus in jail for life

[smile] see what I did ... better know your target.

Get behind this fence. You don't even want to know how much it costs.

Check out this video. They used this fence around a certain bio hazard lab in Boston.

LOL. Cheese slicer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom