Motel owner shot to death in argument over $10 pool pass

StevieP

NES Member

VERNON, Conn. (AP) — A Connecticut motel owner was shot and killed after an argument over the price of a pass to use the motel’s swimming pool on a hot summer day.

Zeshan Chaudhry, 30, of Vernon, was shot Sunday afternoon near the pool at the Motel 6 in Vernon after demanding $10 for a pool pass, police said.

The suspect, 31-year-old Alvin Waugh, of Hartford, had offered $5, police said.

“Mr. Chaudhry did not take the money,” police Sgt. Robert Marra told The Hartford Courant. “There was a verbal argument that ensued after that.”

Chaudhry told Waugh, who was staying at the motel with a friend, to leave, police said. But he instead went upstairs, retrieved a gun and came back down, Marra said.

“It sounds like the victim began to antagonize him,” Marra told the newspaper. “I don’t know if he knew that he had a gun.”

Chaudry was shot several times and was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital.

Waugh ran into some nearby woods, but surrendered to police after being contacted on his cellphone.

He was being held in lieu of $2 million after his arraignment in Superior Court Monday on charges including murder, criminal use of a weapon, use of a firearm for a felony, carrying a firearm without a permit, tampering with physical evidence, reckless endangerment and risk of injury to a minor.

Temperatures in the area hovered near 90 degrees (32 Celsius) on Sunday.

I searched the first couple pages and didn't see that this would be a dupe.

As the summer heats up, it's gonna get ugly. Over 70 shootings in Chicago this weekend.

Stay packing, friends...

Going to be a long....loooooong time before Alvin swims in a pool again....if ever.

Another gem of a human being Alvin is!
He will be going where he belongs but more than likely not long enough for the rest of societies needs.

It was a "ghost gun" too!

"Waugh’s other charges include criminal use of a firearm, carrying a firearm without a permit and first-degree reckless endangerment. The gun was homemade, a report says."

Reading how the "argument" went down and what the motel manager actually said and did, it kind of seems like a "two-fer". Just sayin'.

jeez, when did motels start charging for pool use? i'd be embarrassed if i worked there and had to ask for money to use the pool. but still, not a big enough issue to kill over. damn, it's nuts out there.

jeez, when did motels start charging for pool use? i'd be embarrassed if i worked there and had to ask for money to use the pool. but still, not a big enough issue to kill over. damn, it's nuts out there.

nickle and diming customers, sounds like the owner was trying to squeeze all he could too. FUBAR, comrades.

Honestly, I like this approach better. Lots of higher end hotels and resorts have non-negotiable "resort fees" or "amenity fees" tacked on to the price. If I'm staying somewhere just for a short period and have no intention of using the pool or the gym, why should I have to pay for it in a resort fee? $10 pool use is reasonable. Most resort fees start at $30, so that scales down appropriately for a motel.

I respect people who do the job they are supposed to do but giving a guy a $5 break on a 92 degree day over a pool pass is not unreasonable. The heat and humidity can make people insanely angry, not to mention you never know what kind of day, week or year a person has had so antagonizing them over something stupid on a broiling hot day is not a good play.

I respect people who do the job they are supposed to do but giving a guy a $5 break on a 92 degree day over a pool pass is not unreasonable. The heat and humidity can make people insanely angry, not to mention you never know what kind of day, week or year a person has had so antagonizing them over something stupid on a broiling hot day is not a good play.
The headlines are even misleading, as I don't think the pool pass really had a lot to do with the shooting. That was just the start of a sequence. The real reason was that the motel manager tried to kick them out and directed the help staff to lock them out of their unit. They'd been staying there a month, so these are probably being used as residences. That's some serious sh*t to do to somebody, especially on a very hot (or very cold) day. Nothing excuses the murder. I'm just saying that the media is selling a false narrative when they claim it was over $5 versus $10 for a pool pass on a hot day. The motel manager had escalated the dispute to being about shelter and possibly about access to their personal belongings before he was shot.

The headlines are even misleading, as I don't think the pool pass really had a lot to do with the shooting. That was just the start of a sequence. The real reason was that the motel manager tried to kick them out and directed the help staff to lock them out of their unit. They'd been staying there a month, so these are probably being used as residences. That's some serious sh*t to do to somebody, especially on a very hot (or very cold) day. Nothing excuses the murder. I'm just saying that the media is selling a false narrative when they claim it was over $5 versus $10 for a pool pass on a hot day. The motel manager had escalated the dispute to being about shelter and possibly about access to their personal belongings before he was shot.
Wow I didn’t know all that.

I'm shocked, the news telling half truths and lies by omission, that never happens.

At first I was going to comment that I’d never been charged a pool fee in any hotel or motel, but I guess it’s my white privilege? But upon further review it seems like a homeless guy being put up in the motel by the state....
Looks like some black on Asian hate (Indian name of hotel manager). RIP

Lastly, I’d be really pissed if I was killed by a guy named Alvin!! Simon, Theodore, that’d be fine.

I'm shocked, the news telling half truths and lies by omission, that never happens.
Yeah, actually this is a good example of what to expect from the modern media. The first of the linked articles above, a TV site, didn't even mention it. The second followed the typical pattern for modern newspapers, i.e. throw up a headline

Man fatally shot Motel 6 owner during argument over $5, police say. Children were at the poolside murder scene​

and then contradict it near the end of the article:

The argument escalated, and Chaudhry kicked the couple out of the hotel, it says. Chaudhry got on his two-way radio and told someone at the front desk to lock the woman and Waugh out of their room, Room 122.
“This set Waugh off and he left,” the report says. Waugh left, and his girlfriend told police she believes that’s when he went up to the room to grab a gun.
Waugh returned a short time later and the argument continued, the report says. After about a minute, he pulled the gun from his right pocket and fired a round, which struck Chaudhry, surveillance video shows. It also shows that “Waugh continues to fire several rounds into Chaudhry, then runs out of view of the camera.”

What kind of prick charges extra to use the pool? I’ve never been to a lodging place that did that crap if you were staying there. Was the shooter a guest? If so the greedy “victim” will rest in hell.

What kind of prick charges extra to use the pool? I’ve never been to a lodging place that did that crap if you were staying there. Was the shooter a guest? If so the greedy “victim” will rest in hell.
CT is a strange ass place.

That’s really a reasonable fee to swim in so many other peoples urine. Not

You beat me to it......As many hotels and motels as I've stated in over my lifetime, I have never used any pool available.

I'd much prefer to take a shower in clean ( ? ) running water and stay in my air conditioned room with a couple of cold drinks out of the heat.

I cannot even remember the last time I swam in a "public" or semi public pool.

At first I was going to comment that I’d never been charged a pool fee in any hotel or motel, but I guess it’s my white privilege? But upon further review it seems like a homeless guy being put up in the motel by the state....
Looks like some black on Asian hate (Indian name of hotel manager). RIP

What kind of cr@phole operation charges a one month guest a pool fee? Stupidity met impulsiveness and everybody lost.

Back
Top Bottom