Mossberg 5500 questions

I recently acquired a Mossberg 5500. Not the MKII version. I know it needs a good cleaning. I took it to the range and could not get it to pick up a round from the magazine tube to the chamber. I tried to find some info on line but there is little about this particular model. I did run across a thread on one of the shotgun forums that said that the proper procedure for loading is to fill the tube and also load one into the chamber. Does this sound correct. I could not find a complete manual for this gun online. When the bolt is pulled back by hand it does not seem to move the little pawl that holds the shells in the tube far enough to release one.
If anyone owns one of these and could validate that you must load one in the chamber that would be great. An electronic copy of the manual would be great. This is my first shot gun so I am not real familiar with how they function. Before I tear it apart I would like some insight.

Thanks

Can't help you on the Mossberg but what you describe seems to be how my Beretta works.

NOt familliar with this one, but:

When there is a problem with a gas-operated gun, think cleaning first. Then, proceed to broken stuff.

When feeding problems are encountered with a tubular mag, check the magazine tube for damage that may be holding the follower back; the magazine spring for enough force to push the shells along; the interior for crud that is slowing up the works.

Then, there are generally two shell stops that control the shells' exit from the mag - make sure that they're not damaged, frozen, or missing.

Make sure that the bolt and receiver is clean and gunk-free. Since you say that the bolt, when retracted by hand, will not release shells from the mag, you may have a cleaning issue.

Apparently, it was a short-lived model. There's generally a reason for that. On a similar note, I have a Smith & Wesson Model 1000 - never hear of it, before I bought it, more or less [laugh]. I like the gun, but some parts are rare/unavailable. Before too long, I will either have to get another one as a parts source, or part mine out.

Good luck with your Mossy....and, remember, everything but the receiver is likely worth a few bucks on eBay, if you can't make the thing work.

Back
Top Bottom