Mosin for $99

blindndead

NES Member
I just got back from Zero Hour Arm's. They had a crate of mosin's for $99 They were pretty busy so I took off. The wood on the rifle's were ok but I know nothing about these rifle's Do you think it is worth picking one up for that price? If you think so let me know what should I look out for. And If you go up there and buy one can you save me one.[wink]

Its good for a dealer. Even ordering with a C&R from a vendor with them on sale, an M44 is about $55, then figure at least $10 for shipping, another $10 if you ask for a handpick for a nice one or a specific year, and you're up to $75 and you can't see the rifle before you buy it.
I know quite a few Massachusetts dealers that charge more than $99.

I just got back from Zero Hour Arm's [sic]. They had a crate of mosin's [sic] for $99

Must be a warehouse getting emptied out somewhere. North East Trading had a couple of crates of them 2 weeks ago; same price.

As the man said, $ 99 for a working rifle isn't bad.

I say show me another riffle that's just as fun for $99. As far as the wood looking "ok" the guns are 60+ years old. I think they look damn good. I have seen rifles from the 80's that don't look half as good.

As far as the wood looking "ok" the guns are 60+ years old. I think they look damn good. I have seen rifles from the 80's that don't look half as good.

Right. At the most there may be a few dings and some flaking shellac. Best part is... shellac is so easy to work with. You can take a Mosin with barely any wood finish left, remove the stock in less that 2 minutes, clean, feather flaking areas, and re-apply a shellac finish to blend the whole stock in about an hour. Then put it back together a few hours later and shoot it in the morning and it looks like it just came out of the arsenal and into your possession.

Mosins are fun, cheap, cheap to shoot, fun, and cheap to shoot.

And they make great tools for bayonet charging derelict trucks.

bayo_1.JPG

I went down to zero hour arms last night and grabbed one. Only 4 left.

First time in the shop and everyone was friendly. They also have hard to find glocks in stock.

One of the guys helping me turned out to be a Masonic Brother who talked with me for a bit about his lodge and probably coming to visit mine!

Good deal?

With a C&R you can do better. I purchased an M44 carbine delivered right to my door that looked pristine for $69.00 just recently.

Do not post any dealers that will ship to MA or any leads as to who will/JJ

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my Hungarian M44 for $80 at a shop. It has a mis-matched bolt. You can do a little better with a C&R through the mail, but I'd say you did pretty well!

I've gotten a few that were force matched but a bunch that appear to be original. Nice thing about the billboard rearsenaled Mosins coming in now is that they all appear to have been fully inspected, checked, and headspaced. Now, one can make jokes about how tight the Russians make their tolerances, but I haven't had a lemon yet.

7.62 x54R

Over the years I purchased them on-line ($45-55)from an unmentionable dealer. I had to remove the cosmo myself. All three turned out to be real good shooters (excellent bores). For $99 you can't go wrong.

Ok.

Let's say that I have one of these M44's. Let's say that I am thinking of getting another one.

Where do I get GOOD ammo for a GOOD price? Can it be done for 20 cents per round or less?

Bill

Right now the most available surplus is the Bulgarian 50s manufacture. Corrosive, of course, light ball ammo, but it works pretty well. Most of the surplus out there is solid, really.

Poisonposey just called ZHA for me and they still have mosins. for 10 buck's more I can get a longer one?? personal prefrence??

Poisonposey just called ZHA for me and they still have mosins. for 10 buck's more I can get a longer one?? personal prefrence??

91/30 long rifles will have better accuracy than the M44 carbines. As far as personal preference, its really up to what you want.
if its accuracy, get a 91/30 long rifle. If you want boom factor and muzzle flash, get an M44 carbine.
There are all types of 91/30 rifles from Finn SA stamped models to Tula or Izhevsk arsenal models and even ex Dragoon rifles that are old Mosin Nagants converted to 91/30 rifles.
if it were up to me I'd get which ever one appealed to me. If you're unsure of the collectability of certain models, bore and muzzle condition are always tops on the list on what to look for when choosing a rifle.
Look for something with a nice shiny bore with crisp rifling if possible, some frosting is ok and won't affect accuracy much as long as there are strong visible lands and grooves. You also want a muzzle crown that has rifling right to the end. I have some rifles that are nearly unfired or so well kept that they'll shave a finger nail when you run it on the inside of the muzzle crown because the rifling is so sharp.
Most importantly make sure Marc knows who you are when you stop in. Might wanna bribe him with a calendar too, he's a member here but won't be at the shoot. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom