More pearls of wisdom from Dicks Sporting Goods. MassMark???

This is a little long, but bear with me please.

Well, tonight I went to the DSG in Taunton to buy a Mossberg 535 combo package that comes with two barrels, for turkey and waterfowl. I knew it would likely be a trying ordeal, but the price simply could not be beat. So, I took a few deep breaths and approached the gun counter.

I told the guy working what I wanted and pointed to it. He puts his hand on another 535 combo with a cantilevered barrel and a red dot scope and asks, which color do you want? I say, that looks like a slug gun, I'd like the turkey model on the top rack. He says, oh they're the same thing just different colors. Now, it took a couple of minutes, but we eventually reached the conclusion that there was more than just a difference in color, and eventually he handed me what I wanted to look at. I looked it over and said I'll take one, can you find me one out back that is in the box? He said sure and off he went. Success! [grin]

When he returned he had another young sales associate with him. He tells me that he's going to have this kid observe so that he can see how to do a gun sale. No problem. I fill out my portion of the paperwork, he takes the form and my LTC and begins to show the youngster how it's done.

He then tells him is that he always needs to check the restrictions on class A's, because unless it says "none" they cannot sell a large capacity firearm. [shocked] I say excuse me, but that's not right and quickly run down the three types of license and what they cover. He says, yeah, that's what the law is, but I'm talking about store policy. I say, that makes no sense, someone could have an LTC-B and still legally buy a large capacity long gun. His reply... only if it's unrestricted. He goes on to explain to his protege and I that if you have a "T&H" restriction it means that you can't use a gun for home defense, and so they won't sell any large capacity shotguns to restricted LTC holders. I argue that restrictions are only to do with concealed carry and that even an FID holder could use a firearm for home defense. He says, only if it's unrestricted. [crying] I say there is no such thing as a restricted FID. Only Class A licenses are issued with restrictions and this has no bearing on long gun capacities. He says, well they shouldn't be putting restrictions on Class A's anyways because it's illegal. At this point, I'm thinking OK, I surrender. Right then the trainee pipes up and says, if they can't restrict them, why is there a line for Restrictions: on a class A? The guy gives me one of those "you know what I'm talking about" kinda looks and says well you know, a lot of Police chiefs aren't too bright. [smile]

Was the sales guy short,bald,and heavy set? If so, I've been to that DSG many times and he always acts like a tool.

hmm..sounds like a lack of traning..i was told that there is "state policy" here in CT that forbids selling guns on Sundays at Dicks...not a store policy..but a state one

I'm no guru, but I'd really like to have Dicks Sporting Goods employ me as a firearms trainer...I would love to travel to DSG all over the country and assess Lodge Associates in their ability to deal with customers - especially involving firearms.

That's just silly and funny...I cracked up and shook my head at the same time. It really is part of the hassle of buying a gun there. It's like a box of gun chocolates - you never know who you're going to get. Seriously, folks who know me will tell you that I'm a pretty modest, quiet guy. I was born with low self-esteem and have been working to correct it for 44-years. I'm getting better. So when I say this, I do so from a good place: People like me don't exist in many big box stores. I am a bit of an anomaly - to the point where customers call to request my schedule and 3 out of 4, when they approach the gun counter say: "You really moving to New Hampshire?".

For some, working in the Lodge is "cool" - all the guns, camping gear and fun stuff to mess around with. It's cool for me too - I would not work anywhere else in the store. I glaze over a bit with fishing tackle, but I'm gung-ho with everything else - and it shows. Some people work in the Lodge, because that's where staffing needs are and they could not get a position in Team Sports. Some just need the job and insurance and could care less about any of it....It's retail. Other than a better than average knowledge of hunting, firearms, ammunition, camping gear, shooting sports and kayaks, I bring a passion for customer service to the table. I could care less if Dicks Sporting Goods makes a dime - other than my dependence on a part-time paycheck every two weeks. What I do care about is making sure that customers who have the patience to seek me out get the best possible service I can give them...I don't care if they leave the store with nothing - as long as they feel I treated them well, was informative and helpful and most importantly - interested with their search. It must be working. I'm one of the few, (if not only) employees who customers ask for my schedule when they come in or call...That makes me feel pretty damned good.

Did you get your 535? Super package for short dough...[cheers]

Yes there is.

You are right of course. Yikes, I shudder at the idea of hearing this guys ideas regarding chemical cards.

Mark,
I think that it would be a huge benefit to them if they hired you to do just that. This guy could certanly us eyour help. I've encountered a few good guys working the lodge in various shops, this fella was just amazing to me because he seemed so sure that what he was saying was right.

Yes, I got the gun. It is such a natural pointer in my hands. I have an 870 and a 500 already, but this one felt better to me the minute I picked it up.

Last edited:
That's the one. He wasn't rude or anything, just hopelessly deluded.

You're are right he is never rude. Just gets under my skin, but maybe thats just me. There is another guy that I've talked to before there, older then the guy you dealt with and bigger too, he is a good guy and seems to know his stuff pretty well too. Enjoy your purchase[smile]

I really cant stand people like that but oh well...
btw the Mossberg 535 Turkey/Waterfowl combo is a great gun, I picked one up at DSG last year too. I believe it also comes with a red dot sight and some chokes.

Retail store salesmen are given all kinds of bad advice from their superiors.Years ago I was at Walmart in Avon and I was told I needed a gun permit to buy broadheads for my arrows.After arguing till I was blue in the face,I told the guy to stick them where the sun don't shine.

Solution for Dick's

I'm no guru, but I'd really like to have Dicks Sporting Goods employ me as a firearms trainer...I would love to travel to DSG all over the country and assess Lodge Associates in their ability to deal with customers - especially involving firearms.

That's just silly and funny...I cracked up and shook my head at the same time. It really is part of the hassle of buying a gun there. It's like a box of gun chocolates - you never know who you're going to get. Seriously, folks who know me will tell you that I'm a pretty modest, quiet guy. I was born with low self-esteem and have been working to correct it for 44-years. I'm getting better. So when I say this, I do so from a good place: People like me don't exist in many big box stores. I am a bit of an anomaly - to the point where customers call to request my schedule and 3 out of 4, when they approach the gun counter say: "You really moving to New Hampshire?".

For some, working in the Lodge is "cool" - all the guns, camping gear and fun stuff to mess around with. It's cool for me too - I would not work anywhere else in the store. I glaze over a bit with fishing tackle, but I'm gung-ho with everything else - and it shows. Some people work in the Lodge, because that's where staffing needs are and they could not get a position in Team Sports. Some just need the job and insurance and could care less about any of it....It's retail. Other than a better than average knowledge of hunting, firearms, ammunition, camping gear, shooting sports and kayaks, I bring a passion for customer service to the table. I could care less if Dicks Sporting Goods makes a dime - other than my dependence on a part-time paycheck every two weeks. What I do care about is making sure that customers who have the patience to seek me out get the best possible service I can give them...I don't care if they leave the store with nothing - as long as they feel I treated them well, was informative and helpful and most importantly - interested with their search. It must be working. I'm one of the few, (if not only) employees who customers ask for my schedule when they come in or call...That makes me feel pretty damned good.

Did you get your 535? Super package for short dough...[cheers]

OK, I'm a little biased towards Dick's, I was a Store Manager for them for the past 4 years (until getting terminated after being out for having someone drop a 28 gun safe on my leg and having surgery...long story, but I digress....)

If you want clarification on anything regarding guns and Dick's policy you need to call a gentleman named Kevin Dodson at the Corporate Office. He is the sole person in charge of firearms at the company. Call 1-800-690-7655 and use the dial by name directory or press "0" for the operator. He is a great guy and will answer any and all your questions. He understands the customer and always follows all laws, as should all the stores. Their policy is simple; they follow only the state and federal laws with some exceptions. 1. They will not release a firearm "UNTIL" you get a proceed from NICS, no waiting 3 days etc... 2. You have to live in the state in which you are buying the gun unless you have military p-work stating you have a duty station in that state. 3. Also understand that laws are confusing so they may in fact be wrong, but not know it. So don’t make a stink at the store, call Kevin.

Kevin will most likely not override a store's decision to not sell you a firearm if you make a stink at the store and they deny you. The best course of action is to go to the store and if you don't get the "correct" response from the clerk, to give this guy a call. Once emotions get involved and you piss off the manager or the clerk at the store they have every right (right or wrong) to deny you since they are the license holder. I’m no longer a fan of Dick’s Sporting Goods, however I understand that some of you are having issues with them so I figured I’d help you out. Really I’d suggest going to any of the fine independent shops out there or Bass Pro. For what it’s worth……..

OK, I'm a little biased towards Dick's, I was a Store Manager for them for the past 4 years (until getting terminated after being out for having someone drop a 28 gun safe on my leg and having surgery...long story, but I digress....)

Great advice. We are always getting customers who say to the effect: "I was at So and So's Gun Shop and I was in and out of there in 5 minutes". I try and explain the process, but some don't have the patience to wait. Then comes the register...[wink]

People don't understand how involved the ATF is with Dicks Sporting Goods - everything must be right and like it or not, DSG takes extra measures to ensure that it is.

Holy crap man - you're lucky to have a leg! Those things are a beast to load into a truck and people would be surprised how many show up, buy a safe and then have us load it into a station wagon. I've seen some pretty compressed springs. [grin]

One of the best, was a guy who came in and bought a 45-gun safe. Close to 1,000 pounds, they are a nightmare to load and unload. This particular guy had an old 2x2 Toyota Tacoma. We warned him that he did not have enough truck, (we had to lay the safe on its side) and that he'd better have friends to help him unload it. The next day, he showed up with the safe still on board, asking if we could come to his house and help him get it out, (which we could not). Apparently, he did not have enough friends - his truck was crying in pain. Never did find out how he got it in his house...[grin]

As far as other stuff that we sell that take high capacity magazines:

Remington R-15
Ruger Mini-14
Ruger 10/22
Remington 597

Oh, funny you should mention those. I forgot to mention that he made a point of telling me that it was OK for a restricted license holder to buy a 10/22 because they don't come with a large capacity "device". Also, presumably no one would use a .22 for unlicensed home defense. [wink]

sounds like classic Dick's. i don't know if you guys know this, but dick's DOES NOT train employees on most of the products. half the people in the lodge departments dont have their FID or LTC. i work in the leominster store and half of the guys working in our lodge were hired mainly for their camping or fishing knowledge. we have had a few associates in the past who had NEVER even fired a gun before!!!!!! they just show us how to do the paperwork and send us to the sales floor. also... you didnt hear it from me, but we are doing a BUY ONE GET ONE HALF OFF on all regular priced ammo on "black friday" from open til 2pm.

Top this one...

Ready for this?
Stopped at Dick's yesterday afternoon, to check out some O/U's on the sale flyer. I hand the guy my LTC "A". He smiles and then informs me that I cannot even look at the guns because my permit is the "old" type. I say What are you talking about? He says look, your permit is an older one, it's not "credit-card style" and it expires in January 2011. Ah so what? I say. He say's the store manager implemented the policy recently. I say That's fine, now a store policy trumps the law? How these people even sell a gun amazes me!

Last edited:
Ready for this?
Stopped at Dick's yesterday afternoon, to check out some O/U's on the sale flyer. I hand the guy my LTC "A". He smiles and then informs me that I cannot even look at the guns because my permit is the "old" type. I say What are you talking about? He says look, your permit is an older one, it's not "credit-card style" and it expires in January 2011. Ah so what? I say. He say's the store manager implemented the policy recently. I say That's fine, now a store policy trumps the law? How these people even sell a gun amazes me!

It's kind of funny, as I work at DSG and my permit is the old style, (and will be). I wonder if they'll turn me down? I'd call the number DJ posted - even if you don't intend on going back to buy a gun...

The one in Brockton seemed okay to me but maybe I've lucked out with who was on. I only hit them up anyway when I can get a special offer. Best one was a while ago where there was a 2 for one on all ammo. Not that Buy one get one at 50% off noise but a real 2 for one. I ran a couple of coupons out at work and tried them that night. Yup 50% off. I ran out 8 coupons the next day and went back because there was a limit of six boxes per coupon. They even let me make 8 stacks at the register instead of coming in and out all day because they had to ring up in groups of six. I just got the big calibers to bulk up my stock so when you can get say 100 .44 Magnums for $28.00 or 40 45/70s for under $20.00 I have no complaints. I've also got great deals on carbon arrows from them. I've only bought one firearm from them, took a bit longer than at a regular gun store but nothing to really post about. I just rack it up to no doing as many as you would in a regular gun shop.

Ready for this?
Was this in Taunton also by any chance? The guy I argued with kept saying it was his store manager who implemented all of these "policies".
The one in Brockton seemed okay to me but maybe I've lucked out with who was on. I only hit them up anyway when I can get a special offer. Best one was a while ago where there was a 2 for one on all ammo. Not that Buy one get one at 50% off noise but a real 2 for one. I ran a couple of coupons out at work and tried them that night. Yup 50% off. I ran out 8 coupons the next day and went back because there was a limit of six boxes per coupon. They even let me make 8 stacks at the register instead of coming in and out all day because they had to ring up in groups of six. I just got the big calibers to bulk up my stock so when you can get say 100 .44 Magnums for $28.00 or 40 45/70s for under $20.00 I have no complaints. I've also got great deals on carbon arrows from them. I've only bought one firearm from them, took a bit longer than at a regular gun store but nothing to really post about. I just rack it up to no doing as many as you would in a regular gun shop.
My father just quit working the lodge at the Brockton store a couple of weeks ago. He was pretty good with firearms, but is more of a fishing guy. He left though because he was fed up with the store manager.

I have no problem with the process taking longer than in a gun store, I expect that before I go in. It just amazes me that they can continually come up with these seemingly fabricated laws and policies designed to prevent them from making a perfectly legal sale.

I worked at Dicks a while back . I knew more about guns and ammo than any other guy working in the lodge at the time . But it didn't matter to the idiot lodge manager . He would often put someone else behind the gun counter even if they knew nothing about guns , didn't have an fid and never even shot a gun .
Dicks has some good deals but don't expect anyone working the gun counter to know what they are talking about .

I already learned I will never buy another firearm from Dicks, or anything else. Treat me like I don't matter and I'll treat you like you don't exist.

Not gun related, but my GF bought me a Patriots jersey at Dicks for my birthday and it was too big. We went back to get one that fit me and they have them hanging up over 10 feet so I needed help. The first person got somebody else to come help and the second said they only have one size. Bullshit I can see different sized. We returned it and I went to the Patriots Pro Shop and got one for $30 cheaper. Dicks has pissed me off for the last time.

Yup it was Brockton. Some guy Mark sold me a Rem 700 in July, he was good...Can't get anything since!

Yeah Mark is a good guy. The main reason my Dad waited so long before quitting was because he knew it would really be Mark that was getting screwed, not the store manager. Not to mention, that Alabama accent of his always cracks me up. [smile]

I can't stand how LONG it takes to buy a gun. I bought a 10/22 in Taunton a couple of weeks ago and the guy behind the counter was helping someone else. Some douche named Dennis (I believe that was his name) walked over and the other associate asked him to help me with the firearm purchase. He said no and walked away. It took easily 45 minutes to and hour to buy a gun. It was almost the same wait for any gun I have purchased at dicks. I spent almost an hour and a half buying two guns last year in Dartmouth and vowed never to go back.

I went to Dick's in Taunton once to buy ammo, and the guy behind the counter told me how he feels bad, because some towns restrict LTC A's to sporting, and he can't sell them certain shotguns.. So, I had a big long conversation telling him thet the local PD's are doing that to restrict WHEN you can carry not WHAT.. You just need to be sure you know what you're talking about before you go in there, because their advice is flawed, apparently.. [rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom