More Infernal Devices....?

My fiance is a teacher in NA, she knows a few of those students. She was pretty surprised as they seem like good kids. I'm guessing they were making a chlorine bomb.

My fiance is a teacher in NA, she knows a few of those students. She was pretty surprised as they seem like good kids. I'm guessing they were making a chlorine bomb.

If I misread the story, and inferred that it was a dry-ice bomb, then, I'm sorry for the confusion.

Chlorine is a bit nastier....

They didn't say what it was. It could have been dry ice as well. Those make a nice boom, not sure how I know this though....[wink]

I don't think the issue was as much the making of the bombs but the destruction or attempted destruction of peoples property. They blew up mailboxes and put them under cars.

You would think that by now students would realize what "zero tolerance' means.

Scrivener said it best (quoted from memory) -

"Zero Tolerance" is the tool of the incompetent bureaucrat, who won't, or can't, exercise discretion, fairness or common sense.

BTW, This didn't happen on school grounds

The scary thing is childhood pranks are being reported on like they are bomb makers in the employ of Dr. Evil.

Yeah, they f'd up. Their kids. Get over it, straighten them out and let them move on.

Growing up, I'd seal the lid on an empty 1-gallon milk jug and then when I took the trash out, I'd lay it on the ground and jump on it. If I got the lid sealed right, the side would split with a tremendous BOOM. Cops could never find any evidence of illegal fireworks. (^_^)

Today I'd be arrested for drinking milk and wearing shoes.

Anyone with access to those "can-o-air" spray cans - the ones used to blow dust out of your computer and into your lungs.

Take a two liter bottle of soda. Drink the soda. Turn the bottled air can upside down, put the straw into the bottle and spray until youhave a couple tablespoons of liquid in it. Quick, put the cap on the bottle and "toss" straight up. Jump behind a bale of wool before it reaches the floor. If it lands right, the cap pops off and the bottle takes off like a rocket, narrowly missing those giant (and expensive) lamps you find in the ceilings of warehouses.

I'm guessing...

(this probably is NOT what the lads were doing in the story...)

a quick comment on this. it seems like teenagers are dumber than ever these days and this article drives home the point. Total monkey-see on youtube, monkey-try to blow up a car scenario. Have these kids any common sense? Perhaps it's more that people are just scared shitless of absolutely everything and call the police on simple childhood pranks. Perhaps its a combination.

Last edited:
The scary thing is childhood pranks are being reported on like they are bomb makers in the employ of Dr. Evil.

Yeah, they f'd up. Their kids. Get over it, straighten them out and let them move on.

I think there's a difference between trashing rural mailboxes with a baseball bat and leaving BOMBS under people's cars.

I wouldn't write the latter off as childhood pranks or 'right of passage' sorts of activities.

I think there's a difference between trashing rural mailboxes with a baseball bat and leaving BOMBS under people's cars.

I wouldn't write the latter off as childhood pranks or 'right of passage' sorts of activities.

Do we really think they are bombs? I saw nothing reported about how they "blow up". Kids used to run around my neighborhood with firecrackers in mail boxes. Are firecrackers "bombs" now. Is tannerite a bomb? Oh wait, in MA it is...

Someone mentioned CO2 and water. That's a dry ice reaction but I am not sure that is what they were doing. Even if they were, containment is really what makes that go pop. There is no real explosive force behind it.

We don't know what type of "bombs" they made. Dry ice in a soda bottle is about as dangerous as chucking a bic lighter at the ground. On the other hand taking a baseball bat to a mailbox, a windshield or car door is vandalism. I'm just assuming that these were dry ice bombs, if they were something that was destructive, then forget what I just said.

Do we really think they are bombs? I saw nothing reported about how they "blow up". Kids used to run around my neighborhood with firecrackers in mail boxes. Are firecrackers "bombs" now. Is tannerite a bomb? Oh wait, in MA it is...

Someone mentioned CO2 and water. That's a dry ice reaction but I am not sure that is what they were doing. Even if they were, containment is really what makes that go pop. There is no real explosive force behind it.

My understanding is that one of these 'bombs' could maime a person (remove fingers, etc.). To me, a device like that left where someone could be injured by it, is a bomb. I would put a firecracker in a confined container in the same category, if it could injure someone with 'shrapnel',etc. I think intent has a lot to do with it, but the capability of the device is also important, regardless of intent.

Even smokeless powder flares if in the open, but explodes if in a confined container.

If I'm wrong about the potential of the device to harm someone, accept my apology.

My understanding is that one of these 'bombs' could maime a person (remove fingers, etc.). To me, a device like that left where someone could be injured by it, is a bomb. I would put a firecracker in a confined container in the same category, if it could injure someone with 'shrapnel',etc. I think intent has a lot to do with it, but the capability of the device is also important, regardless of intent.

Even smokeless powder flares if in the open, but explodes if in a confined container.

If I'm wrong about the potential of the device to harm someone, accept my apology.

I think the potential of a dry ice "bomb" in a two liter container is being overblown if you are hearing that. A firecracker in a mailbox can definitely do the type of damage you mention (shrapnel, etc). I used that example to show what, which was never tolerated, has happened in the past and treated as it was. Vandalism and stupidity. But kids were never arrested for bomb making. Usually the cops would investigate, if they figured out who did it, they went after the vandalism charge which was a misdemeanor or a civil ticket.

Last edited:

Containment is also what makes firearm cartridges go "pop". Is that considered an explosive force"?

Containment is also what makes firearm cartridges go "pop". Is that considered an explosive force"?

Technically no. It's an expansion. Blackpowder is considered an explosive. Things that need minimal containment, or none, to go boom are explosives. Wrapping some pyrodex in a massive amount of steel to make it go pop is not minimal containment.

Technically no. It's an expansion. Blackpowder is considered an explosive. Things that need minimal containment, or none, to go boom are explosives. Wrapping some pyrodex in a massive amount of steel to make it go pop is not minimal containment.

K, to be super technical, blackpowder is a low explosive material. It deflagrates, not detonate. Same with smokeless powder. It releases a tremendous amout of gas as the surface area burns and causes it's container to burst at it's weakest point, which of course is the crimp at the point where the bullet and casing are squeezed together.

A high explosive such as TNT actually detonates and produces a high-pressure wave front, yada yada. BUT...still the question remains. How is "explosive force" defined here? A high-pressure wave front following the source, or a simple audible "pop"?

Seems to me that it would be silly to say that a 2-litre soda bottle bursting via too much CO2 gas pressure is "exploding", but that's just me I reckon'.

It was probably a aluminum foil/draino bomb. The draino is very caustic and can cause burns or blindness if you got it into your eyes. If it was that, then it was a very dangerous thing, and it was right they got arrested.

I think these cases are blown out of proportion. But that does sound irresponsible. Criminal charges? Maybe, maybe not.

Back
Top Bottom